Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbane View Post
I've managed to find more peaks to get images of PP from

There's more pics (20th Nov and 22 Nov) here:

Steve's hiking blog

Heading west next week...

Steve.
You are far too modest Steve in what you have achieved in such a short time.

What a fantastic resource you are creating. I just wish I was there and able enough to accompany you on your explorations.

Keep them comming................

My FlickR Photos
Sponsored Links
Old 25-11-2012, 20:06

Hi Steve Just done walks 19 and 30 from C Davis walk Mallorca North book. (23rd and 24th this month) both amazing, would recommend both. Would strongly recommend insect repellent on walk 30, im covered in mozzie bites from walking through the thick undergrowth!!. Walk 30 is 20 KM and took us 6 1/2 hours but we did stop quite a bit for photos and a picnik.
Get to Caimari early as we got the last parking space at the Mirador at 9am. For those without the book i'm refering to a walk from Caimari to Lluc and back to Caimari via Binibona.
Old 26-11-2012, 10:27

Cheers for the info roig cat. Glad to hear that you enjoyed those walks, they are on my "to do" list, probably next week... I've got insect repellent here and I've never used it, but I have been bitten while out during the day and have spotted some very large mozzies

El Gordo: Thanks for your kind words mate! You are welcome to join me while I hike around. I'm probably going to be going solo from now on, family and friends have been and gone. Even my Spanish mate I've been learning the lingo from is emigrating to Dubai
Old 26-11-2012, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbane View Post
Cheers for the info roig cat. Glad to hear that you enjoyed those walks, they are on my "to do" list, probably next week... I've got insect repellent here and I've never used it, but I have been bitten while out during the day and have spotted some very large mozzies

El Gordo: Thanks for your kind words mate! You are welcome to join me while I hike around. I'm probably going to be going solo from now on, family and friends have been and gone. Even my Spanish mate I've been learning the lingo from is emigrating to Dubai
Hi Steve

Thanks for the offer, I am out from the 4th to 25th January, maybe get in touch? if you are still around

My FlickR Photos
Old 26-11-2012, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Hi Steve

Thanks for the offer, I am out from the 4th to 25th January, maybe get in touch? if you are still around
No worries Gordon. I'm here until the 13th Jan then off to Lanzarote for a couple of weeks, then back here until April. Just PM me with a day or so notice and we can go hiking wherever you want. I got well off the beaten track today - fantastic, and more photos of PP, from Puig Pinoa, right in between PP and Formentor. I'll update the blog tomorrow, got a bit of a thirst on right now

Steve.
El Gordo likes this.
Old 08-12-2012, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by roig cat View Post
Hi Steve Just done walks 19 and 30 from C Davis walk Mallorca North book. (23rd and 24th this month) both amazing, would recommend both. Would strongly recommend insect repellent on walk 30, im covered in mozzie bites from walking through the thick undergrowth!!. Walk 30 is 20 KM and took us 6 1/2 hours but we did stop quite a bit for photos and a picnik.
Get to Caimari early as we got the last parking space at the Mirador at 9am. For those without the book i'm refering to a walk from Caimari to Lluc and back to Caimari via Binibona.
Well done on completing walk 30 in the Charles Davis book roig cat! I did it yesterday. It's a bit of a minefield in terms of way-finding, quite a complicated route and very easy to go off track, especially at this time of year with a lot of paths becoming overgrown.

I've found the Charles Davis book very informative and detailed, certainly more so than "Walking in Mallorca" by June Parker. But on this one there could have been a bit more emphasis at a couple of points, very easy to get lost and I can see where a handheld GPS would be very useful on routes like this. I inadvertently stayed on the GR221 for too long after misiterpretating the route in the book, but I realised fairly quickly that I was heading too far east. Also, there was no "bedstead gate" at the end of the route, but clearly this was no fault of the author's. It's obviously been removed as it's also mentioned in the June Parker book...

I'll have a go at No.19 on Monday, weather permitting. I intend to combine No.16 and No.19 and do both in the same day. The only thing limiting me is the number of daylight hours now, the driving will have to be done in the dark

The blog has been updated with lots more routes, pics and info. Worth a look for anyone intending to do any hiking. It gives info and shows pics of what to expect on the various routes, and will supplement the walking books with additional info and heaps more informative pictures. I'll continue to add routes to this over the next four months.

Steve.
Mark, El Gordo and Sparky like this.
Old 09-12-2012, 13:18

Hi Steve

Just been looking at your Puig Pinoa photos - simply stunning As we looked through them, we were starting to get concerned that you wouldn't make it back before dark as you could see that the sun was starting to go down

It's great seeing all those views without having to risk life and limb to get them - thank you
Sparky and Brisbane like this.
Old 09-12-2012, 16:03

Hi Steve,

LOL re route finding. we also stayed on GR221 too long and walked all the way through the woods to the bottling plant before we realised our mistake sand some kindly locals picking wild mushrooms put us back on track.. I think some of the wording in the C Davies book could be better!
We also got a little confused looking for the "ditch" as we had to cross two fences not one, as stated in the book.
Walking through the stream bed was interesting, although not wet the boulders were covered in moss. With regard to the bedstead gate, we saw an old rusty mattress propped against the wall and suspected this was once the gate! The June Parker book has a similar walk put in an anti clockwise direction. I feel we would have got hopelessly lost with her directions.

Good luck with the next one. We went wrong at the second signpost for Font d'es prat. We continued on the GR221 up the hill when we should have turned left immediately after the stone bridge (Which isnt obviously a bridge)wp 6. I expect youll miss that bit though if coming to the canaleta from the south.
It makes sense to combine walks 16 and 18 as the actual canaleta bit isnt that long. It's amazing though once you walk around the front of Sa basola, we didnt meet a single sole on the canaleta, quite a spiritual feeling! enjoy.
Brisbane likes this.
Old 09-12-2012, 20:27

Cheers for the info roig cat, much appreciated

I'm glad that it wasn't just me that went too far on the GR221 on walk 30, pity we both went off course but it shows that the Charles Davis book could be revised somewhat... But in his defence it was a complicated route to try to explain within a few pages... I saw that old bed too, I doubt that it was ever what was described as the "bedstead gate" though!

Don't worry Rosie, I always plan the timing of my routes to perfection I'll get caught out one of these days, won't be long now

Looking forward to tomorrow, even splashed out on a €3 torch from the Chinese emporium for my route through the tunnels on walk 16

Steve.
El Gordo, Sparky and roig cat like this.

Last edited by Brisbane; 09-12-2012 at 20:33.
Old 09-12-2012, 23:09

Keep it going fella really enjoying your concise reporting.
El Gordo and Brisbane like this.
Old 18-12-2012, 17:19

Talking Even more pics of PP

I've managed to find another summit with views of PP

I must have found them all now! These were taken yesterday from Puig Tomir near Lluc, must be 15 kms away. Pity the sun wasn't shining, not the best quality shots I'm afraid. This one shows the bay of PP on the left and Alcudia/Can Picafort on the right:

Here's the bay of PP with the old town in front:

The north-east coastline with PP near the end:

As above but with a bit of zoom. You can, perhaps not so clearly, see the port and the old town, with Puig Maria to the right:

The blog has been updated too.

Steve.

Last edited by Brisbane; 18-12-2012 at 18:47.
Old 18-12-2012, 17:32

Wow great shots Steve, that first one is amazing with the two bays, not seen a photo of that view anywhere else, you get a good feel for the geology of the area with the peaks running down in lines.
Note to self, must do more hiking there next year!
Brisbane likes this.

On island time!!
Old 18-12-2012, 18:42

Wow, always looked at this one but thought I might be biting off more than I could chew! However, you have inspired me and it's now on the list for February (weather permitting). I'll print off some of the photos if you dont mind as reminders.

The views are very similar to the ones taken from an aeroplane! Spectacular.

Are you planning a walk on Chirstmas day?
Brisbane likes this.
Old 18-12-2012, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by roig cat View Post
Wow, always looked at this one but thought I might be biting off more than I could chew! However, you have inspired me and it's now on the list for February (weather permitting). I'll print off some of the photos if you dont mind as reminders.

The views are very similar to the ones taken from an aeroplane! Spectacular.

Are you planning a walk on Chirstmas day?
Hi roig cat. Yeah, I might walk to the pub on Christmas day
Old 18-12-2012, 21:51

Hi Steve

Fantastic Photos. You have achieved more in 15 weeks than I have done in 15 years!!!

You should be rightly proud of your conquests and write a book!!

Tomir has been one of my wish list walks? for a long time, the photographs of the views are superb. Although at 60 I don't think I will be able to cross it off the list now!!

Save a good one for when I am out in January!!

Have a good Christmas and New year.
lollipop and Brisbane like this.

My FlickR Photos