Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52

Default Tom Tom Sat Nav in Mallorca

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my Tom Tom Sat nav from the UK maps to the full Western Europe and am wondering whether there is good coverage for Mallorca?

The Tom Tom site shows that Spain is covered in full, but doesn't specifically mention the Balearics.

We are out again in June and it would be good to explore a little more of the island this time as we've rarely ventured far from PP on our four previous trips.

If anyone can tell me whether the mapping and estimates of journey times are accurate that would be very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 13:57

Ours works brilliantly on the island albeit that the Spanish seem to close or even move roads on a fairly regular basis so get ready to press the 'road blocked' button. We tend to just feed in the place name ~ to date all distances and times have been spot on.
Old 03-02-2010, 14:37

What's happened to the British exploring spirit!!

Gert out in the car with the map!!! its much more fun looking where to go, asking directions, practising your Spanish etc.

Go on get lost, use up that tank of petrol you have paid for!!!!

In 200 yards turn right!!! is no fun at all.

My FlickR Photos
Old 03-02-2010, 14:50

True - but neither is ending up down a one way track with 3 young children in the back in a non air conditioned car in an August way back when, after a "ok, lets see where this one goes" moment! Ah yes, I remember it well!
Old 03-02-2010, 16:33

We've got round Mallorca quite happily with a paper map. There was the odd argument but we always got where we wanted to go.

You're on holiday - just go with the flow.....
Old 03-02-2010, 16:42

I have to agree, the whole point is to enjoy yourself and just go with the flow, some of the best routes we use were found by accident, in fact the road that takes you past the restaurant that is near Ariany in the other thread we found and we use it a lot we drive the coast road past Ca'n Picafort to Arta along the coast down past the Coves del Hams then across country via Manacor, Petra, past the restaurant at Ariany, Santa Margalida, Muro, Sa Pablo and then back to Pollensa, I am sure the sat Nav would say to use the new dual carriage way that side of the island and so you would miss the lovely interior. Even in August that road is empty and lovely to drive.

On island time!!
Old 03-02-2010, 16:56

You'd be surprised...the SatNav we used last year in France took us along some really tiny roads that we'd never have found on a map - and they were quicker too!
Old 03-02-2010, 17:12

I suppose thats right you can change the settings to avoid larger roads, in my experience the normally try to take you across fords and other natural hazards though

On island time!!
Old 04-02-2010, 23:09

I too have a TomTom with Western Europe map and Mallorca is covered perfectly fine by the Western Europe map. I have an awful sense of direction and would be lost, literally, without my TomTom. So it is a brilliant thing to have when exploring the Island in my view.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10

Default SatNav favourites & settings

I always find the SatNav (Garmin) very useful when in Mallorca as we've saved quite a lot of locations in the 'Favourites'-menu and it's only a matter of selecting them from the list.

Most SatNav's also have menu settings that allow for a selection of 'fastest' or 'shortest' route. The 'shortest' one very often going along minor routes which you wouldn't necessarily pick off a map.

Ours has also additional menu items (e.g. petrol stations) which can be a life saver.

I do enjoy picking the 'big picture' route from a paper map and bring generally one along (to make sure), but I wouldn't want to go without my SatNav.
Old 05-02-2010, 18:28

Don't get me wrong, I think Sat Navs are very useful.

However, they tend to be very annoying at times, early in my journey when I know roughly where I'm going!! so I tend not to switch on until I am nearer my destination.

I mainly use one to get me home when I'm tired!

safe journey and enjoy your trips, guided by whatever means!!

Let us know if you discover any gems.

My FlickR Photos
Old 05-02-2010, 20:02

Never thought of taking the SatNav - but please can someone delete this thread cos if my husband reads it he will realise we could take it and then make me drive more than just occasionally when it is the wrong side of the road and the door handle doesn't let me change gear...
Old 05-02-2010, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelise80 View Post
Never thought of taking the SatNav - but please can someone delete this thread cos if my husband reads it he will realise we could take it and then make me drive more than just occasionally when it is the wrong side of the road and the door handle doesn't let me change gear...
This made me chuckle, it could've been written by me.
Old 18-06-2010, 14:05

I'd be happy to navigate by map but with two young children we need to have a good idea of journey times so we can avoid meltdowns arising from delayed mealtimes!

Scale and journey time is hard to judge on paper maps due to the twisty nature of the smaller winding roads!
Old 18-06-2010, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmurray View Post
If anyone can tell me whether the mapping and estimates of journey times are accurate that would be very helpful.
Fairly accurate although some mystery tours should be expected

Mark