Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

Like Tree291Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 16:04
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
They´ve got an ice-cream parlour close by.
And the Boulevard Group have 8 food/drink outlets nearby.
whaleywanderer and lollipop like this.
Old 29-10-2016, 16:33

Yes, Molt.
That fact made me curious about the great controversy...other than than the quick convenience of a fast moving queue for service at the kiosk.
Old 29-10-2016, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
And the Boulevard Group have 8 food/drink outlets nearby.
And what, may I ask, has that got to do with it ?.
Sharonh likes this.
Old 29-10-2016, 19:20

A sad day all the same...
Grateful for the service and the memories..

Gracias, as the girls would say..
Sharonh, Bekki and Roy&Myra like this.
Old 29-10-2016, 21:18

What is so-sad is that it is an institution - A part of the Port that may be going for good.

My wife (like so many others) has fond memories of Senior Valls - His bike, crisp whites, and his friendly cry of "Helado". Standing patiently in the blazing heat with other kids, to choose your ice-cream.

I'm a relative newbie (just the last sixteen years) so I have only known the Kiosk - The queues of excited customers choosing and debating their favourite flavours - The ring of the bell when you gave a tip...It melting as you walked along the Pine Walk...

I know that they have a new shop, but it isn't the same. The Ice-Cream hut is a part of the nature of PP.

I don't want to see it go.

Change is a constant - But just sometimes we like to keep things just as they are...
PP76, debz1, Lorenzo and 7 others like this.

Last edited by lovemallorca; 01-11-2016 at 10:23.
Old 29-10-2016, 21:28

We're now into our fourth generation of ice-cream eaters from the kiosk. This institution triggers many happy memories for us all. Very sad if it does not remain as it is.

I fear that the times they are a-changin', unfortunately.
Rosie34, Tommo, Roy&Myra and 2 others like this.
Old 30-10-2016, 11:09

Yet another landmark of Porto Pollenca disappears
In twenty years time there will be nothing left of the port that we have loved over the last 35+ years,One way Systems .Restaurants closed and Knocked down.Ice Cream vendors moved on. Bus Station moved to the outskirts of town .
All that will be left is a Cycle Race track along Pine Walk and the Front.
Us Golden Oldies had better watch out. It might be us for Recycling next.
Old 31-10-2016, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy&Myra View Post
Yet another landmark of Porto Pollenca disappears
In twenty years time there will be nothing left of the port that we have loved over the last 35+ years,One way Systems .Restaurants closed and Knocked down.Ice Cream vendors moved on. Bus Station moved to the outskirts of town .
All that will be left is a Cycle Race track along Pine Walk and the Front.
Us Golden Oldies had better watch out. It might be us for Recycling next.
Mrs S and I could not agree more, we have been coming for 33 yrs and the place looks less and less familiar each year. I know we can't live without change of some kind but things such as Valls are a local treasure and big business should not be able to bulldoze them out of the way.
As for the pavement cycling I for one hope to find a review mirror I can use as walking anywhere along the front the bikes whiz past without a care for pedestrians.
debz1, snowy2007, Lorenzo and 3 others like this.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:48

Puerto Pollensa ice-cream kiosk closes today » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin

see article and picture on the MDB-website
Old 01-11-2016, 10:35

Photos and television new reports covering the closure are on Gelats Valls Facebook page.
mike_dublin likes this.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:09

Watched a really emotional Sylvia Valls on a video on Facebook being interviewed for tv. Such a sad time for the family and (most) locals, and of course the tourists who love Valls ice cream and the iconic chiringuito. Have you seen the stuff they sell in 1919 and their other establishments purporting to be ice cream?

Let's hope they can win the battle for the tender over the greedy Boulevard group and will be back next year. A very sad day
mike_dublin, Roy&Myra and Tangoman like this.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
Watched a really emotional Sylvia Valls on a video on Facebook being interviewed for tv. Such a sad time for the family and (most) locals, and of course the tourists who love Valls ice cream and the iconic chiringuito. Have you seen the stuff they sell in 1919 and their other establishments purporting to be ice cream?

Let's hope they can win the battle for the tender over the greedy Boulevard group and will be back next year. A very sad day
I think the Boulevard group could have many thousands of customers less next year in protest against this!
debz1, mike_dublin and Roy&Myra like this.
Old 01-11-2016, 13:10

Quote:

Sorry to have to say this but Valls can´t compare to the ones made in Soller or, for that matter, Campos. You should also try the ones made for Can Joan de Saigo in Palma.

They are now industrial ( good on em ) ice cream manufacturers, churning it out in their factory on the Pollensa Industrial estate enabling them to sell their produce in most bars and supermarkets in the north of the island.

PD I have N0 relationship at all with Grupo Boulevard or any of their 118 outlets.
Old 01-11-2016, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
Sorry to have to say this but Valls can´t compare to the ones made in Soller or, for that matter, Campos. You should also try the ones made for Can Joan de Saigo in Palma.

They are now industrial ( good on em ) ice cream manufacturers, churning it out in their factory on the Pollensa Industrial estate enabling them to sell their produce in most bars and supermarkets in the north of the island.

PD I have N0 relationship at all with Grupo Boulevard or any of their 118 outlets.
I know the factory on the industrial estate and didn't think they still hand made their ice cream on the scale they produce it. The ones in the places you mention may be superior in your opinion but it's rather a long way to go when you fancy an ice cream in the Port
PP76, lollipop and mike_dublin like this.
Old 01-11-2016, 16:15

Quote:
I know the factory on the industrial estate and didn't think they still hand made their ice cream on the scale they produce it. The ones in the places you mention may be superior in your opinion but it's rather a long way to go when you fancy an ice cream in the Port
You are quite right about that. Good excuse to go to Soller though !

In the meantime, you can still taste their wares at their new emporium, not more than 20 yards from where the kiosk is ( was ?).
Closed Thread