Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-02-2010, 19:50

Default Driving Licence - What is actually legal?

Until today I was firm in the belief that if you come to live in Spain as a full time resident (ie here for more than 182 days in a year) you are required to change your UK driving licence for a Spanish one. This is because although the UK licence (providing it is the euro type) qualifies you to drive anywhere in Europe it is not legal because it does not show the correct address and you cannot have a Spanish address on a UK licence.

Clear so far - but

I have been told today that you can take your UK licence to Trafico, fill in a form, hand over a few euros, and they will stamp the UK licence making it fully legal for use here.

Does anyone know for certain what the true legal position is please?

Deanscroft
Sponsored Links
Old 24-02-2010, 09:26

No I have heard that too Deanscroft but am busy trying to establish the best way forward. The only downside of not having a sanish licence as I can see is if you should lose the UK issued one cos you can't replace it. Also becomes difficult as you reach 70 as a few people I know are now finding. If I learn anymore will let you know.
Old 25-02-2010, 21:24

According to Trafico you should have a Spanish license, and it costs a bit more than a few euros(not to mention a long wait at their Palma office) to get one.You may also need translations on any documents relating to your health (an age thing I think) and you need your NIE and residensia certificate. having said that most Brits I know drive using the UK license either because they don't know how to or can't be bothered to change it, or they think it's ok to do so or finally because now that Mallorca has a penalty point system for driving offences a UK license can't be endorsed. In times past I have been stopped by Trafico driving spanish regd cars with a UK licence for alleged! offences and they have just happily fined me for the alleged! offence and don't care about the license aspects
Old 01-04-2010, 14:03

As promised Trafico Update received from the Calvia Council member Kate Mentnik.
Driving Licences: A valid driving licence,issued in any country belonging to the EU or EEA may be used to drive in Spain as long as it complies with the following
a) The holder falls within the age restrictions as per regulations in Spain
b) Said licence has not been restricted,suspended or cancelled
C) the licence has not been issued whilst the holdewr is resident in Spain.
From the 9th Dec 2009, all licences which were previously valid for an indefinite period will be given a maximum validity of 2 years after which it will be obligatory to exchange for a Spanish licence(Not applicable to UK)

Exchange Driving Licence
Comply with the above mentioned requisites(DRIVING LICENCES)
Minimum period of 6months legal residence in Spain
NB The Spanish traffic authorities will always contact the country of origin to verify point b)

REGISTRATION OF NON SPANISH DRIVING LICENCE
Completely voluntary procedure
Very useful in case of loss,robbery etc. All information re licence recorded in TRafico.

NON SPANISH CAR REGISTRATION PLATES
Non residents/visitors maximum stay 30 days
When transferring main residence to spain- 60 days.
Persons who are non residents but have a business in Spain are also obliged to change their registration plates.
Anyone who has had a vehicle with non-spanish plates for 18months or more without applying to have them changed will have their vehicle confiscated by the police.
To be able to continue driving a vehicle whilst the paperwork is completed for the change of registration plates,one can apply for "green plates" which are valid for 60 days.At the end of 60 days ,if necessary an extension can be applied for,the vehicle should be immobilized until the process is complete.
In the case of right-hand drive vehicles "industria" should be consulted

I know this looks lengthy but I hope it helps.
Old 01-04-2010, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
As promised Trafico Update received from the Calvia Council member Kate Mentnik.
Driving Licences: A valid driving licence,issued in any country belonging to the EU or EEA may be used to drive in Spain as long as it complies with the following
a) The holder falls within the age restrictions as per regulations in Spain
b) Said licence has not been restricted,suspended or cancelled
C) the licence has not been issued whilst the holdewr is resident in Spain.
From the 9th Dec 2009, all licences which were previously valid for an indefinite period will be given a maximum validity of 2 years after which it will be obligatory to exchange for a Spanish licence(Not applicable to UK)

Exchange Driving Licence
Comply with the above mentioned requisites(DRIVING LICENCES)
Minimum period of 6months legal residence in Spain
NB The Spanish traffic authorities will always contact the country of origin to verify point b)

REGISTRATION OF NON SPANISH DRIVING LICENCE
Completely voluntary procedure
Very useful in case of loss,robbery etc. All information re licence recorded in TRafico.

NON SPANISH CAR REGISTRATION PLATES
Non residents/visitors maximum stay 30 days
When transferring main residence to spain- 60 days.
Persons who are non residents but have a business in Spain are also obliged to change their registration plates.
Anyone who has had a vehicle with non-spanish plates for 18months or more without applying to have them changed will have their vehicle confiscated by the police.
To be able to continue driving a vehicle whilst the paperwork is completed for the change of registration plates,one can apply for "green plates" which are valid for 60 days.At the end of 60 days ,if necessary an extension can be applied for,the vehicle should be immobilized until the process is complete.
In the case of right-hand drive vehicles "industria" should be consulted

I know this looks lengthy but I hope it helps.
That is absolutely spot on as reguards the lagality of it, now they just have to enforce it!!
Old 04-04-2010, 17:34

OK - Can anyone provide a step by step guide to exchanging a UK licence for a Spanish one?
Old 04-04-2010, 22:01

Depending on your age you may need a medical if so the Dr at te bottom of the JuanXX111 do them. You then make an appointment to go to Trafico in Palma or use a Gestoria who will cgarge about 80 euro's to complete everything for you.
Old 03-06-2010, 14:27

Just been for my compulsary `medicalīto the Dr near the bottom on JuanXX111. As rips offs go this has got to be one of the best going. First I turned up with the required passport photos all inaccordance with the specification set out on the Trafico website only to be told they were wrong size and wrong colour. I was directed to the photographers a little further down the road who happily made me more photos and charged me 7 euros. Returning to the Medical Centre I was given a quick eye and colour recognition test which took no more than 3 minutes. My photo was attached to a small certificate which the Dr signed. Total time from walking in to walking out was less than 10 minutes. And the charge for this compulsary service? -------52 euros !!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 17:24

On top of this Deanscroft you will have to pay for someone about 60€ to exchange it for you unless you are brave enough to go to Trafico in Palma yourself.
Old 03-06-2010, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
On top of this Deanscroft you will have to pay for someone about 60€ to exchange it for you unless you are brave enough to go to Trafico in Palma yourself.
Go to Trafico Palma, it's no big deal, no need for a gestor, it's just a boring wait usually.They have quite a few Englisg speakers there.Then you'll be one of the few British drivers here with a Spanish license!
Old 03-06-2010, 22:19

Thanks for that Ray. I was wondering about giving it a try. Have you done it? Can you give me more advise on whats needed. ie. I presume there is a form in Spanish that I need to fill in? Can I get hold of it locally and fill it in before I go? Iīve had a look at the trafico website but canīt find anything about downloading an application form. Also I have read somewhere that you need to make a declaration to say there are no outstanding traffic offences! Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2010, 14:02

yes i've done it, trafico will provide you with all the forms needed, they are more than happy that the transfer is being done. The declaration is straightforward, but like nearly everything in Spain there are lots of papers and carbon copies!! Think of it as a day out in Palma and just persevere.I think the licence takes about 3 weeks to come. Always take passport and NIE hope this helps. I would never pay an 'expert' to do somwthing that is easy to do yourself.In fact when I hear the word expert, I reach for my gun
Old 07-08-2010, 14:57

Many thanks to everyone for their replies. I took Rays advise and went to Palma myself. I was at Trafico for a little over an hour which included filling in two lots of forms because the first official gave me the wrong ones. My new Spanish driving licence arrived today so Iīm feeling somewhat chuffed at saving the 100 euros Gestors fee.