Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15

probably 1 in the Port, 1 in the old town and a few more having a Siesta.

Although being serious, most would be needed around Palma/ Magaluf and other busy places where the bulk of the tourists are.

Not much happens in the North which is why I like it.

Magaluf video:

YouTube - Magaluf Crazy Nightlife 2010!!!! BCM!

More relaxed video in the North
YouTube - Puerto Pollensa Majorca 2010
-
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27

In fact, ten in Alcudia, eight in Pollensa but none in Muro. The town halls have to find 25% of the cost of tourist police, and given that Muro town hall can't afford uniforms for its regular police force, not surprising.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:31

LOL! Brillilant comparison Mark!

Thanks for the info Andrew. I have a story about the police in Rome and their love of their uniform. Will tell it at the next PP's meet!
Old 02-04-2011, 17:17

I was quite surprised to see that an extra 1 million toursits are anticipated in comparison to last years visitor numbers. It seems like an awful lot more and most people I know are not planning to travel abroad this year at all

Mark - I daren't watch that video as my eldest is hoping to go to Magaluf in the summer!
Old 02-04-2011, 20:43

Joelise, the million extra is realistic. The German market is booming, and the new markets, such as the Russian one, are sending more tourists, while even the British market is up appreciably. Some of it down to Egypt and Tunisia. But there is also the increase in air tax, which is lower to Spain than to the eastern Med.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43

I must agree with Andrew re the German market. I have never heard so much German spoken in the Port as I have during this visit.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonsyl View Post
I must agree with Andrew re the German market. I have never heard so much German spoken in the Port as I have during this visit.
Don't panic Mr Mainwaring, Don't panic !!!

BonysLad
Old 03-04-2011, 14:21

“Don’t give them your name Pike”
Old 03-04-2011, 17:23

It's alright for you not to panic but I've only just mastered Spanish/Mallorquines, now I'll have to learn Deutsch before our next visit!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:53

Talk about biting the hand that feeds

Majorcan Tourist Board boss slams easyJet and Ryanair
STAFF REPORTER

PALMA

THE head of the Majorcan Tourist Board, Pedro Iriondo, yesterday criticised low cost airlines easyJet and Ryanair “for never bringing quality tourists” to the island and for never carrying business clients.

During a speech entitled “Perspectives for the current tourist season” at yesterday’s first Tourism Forum, he accused the two airlines of leaving their clients “hanging in the air” when things go wrong and that, “in general, the tourists which travel to Majorca with these airlines either stay in non-regulated apartments or rent rural properties which belong to Britons.”

DEFENSE OF KEY CLIENT “I once flew with Ryanair and I’d never do it again,” he said.
However, the Director of Palma Airport, Nemesio Suarez, was quick to defend both airlines proclaiming that the airport would support both because they are key clients.

Suarez added that the low cost airlines have forced the traditional scheduled airlines to become more competitive while Ryanair has over 2.6 million flight seats into Palma this year and is opening the island up to new markets such as Italy and Denmark.

The President of the Association of Restaurant Businesses, Pilar Carbonell, also publicly distanced herself from Iriondo’s comments pointing out that business executives use both airlines.

On island time!!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58

Ridiculous, not even sure what they are trying to say - almost like an April fools joke!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:27

This guy obviously doesn't understand what his job involves or the profiles of his target customers As for unregulated properties - I am not even going to start!!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:28

What total rubbish!!! As you say,Bella, it's so ludicrous it's almost funny, but to be honest as an Easyjet customer (and British owner of a 'rural villa' I do find it quite offensive, given the thousands of pounds that I must have poured into the Mallorcan economy over the years. What on earth is his definition of a 'quality tourist'? I would have thought it was anyone who spent a reasonable amount of money while on holiday - tourists renting apartments or villas presumably go to supermarkets to buy food even if they don't eat in restaurants every night... And our experience of Easyjet is indeed that it is widely used by business executives, including my husband, who travels frequently to various places including Spain on business and never uses any other airline if he can help it (it's pretty reliable and not too expensive). Possibly business executives don't travel to Mallorca that frequently, but presumably, unless you work in tourism, that's because more businesses are located in mainland Spain. Maybe rather than having a dig at the Brits the Mallorcan Tourist Board would like to focus their efforts on persuading Spanish airlines to reduce their prices so we might be more inclined to use them as an alternative to Easyjet/Ryanair?

No wonder women are massively in the ascendancy so far as running things in Spain is concerned!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47

What a prat,

The local business chiefs are disowning his comments as fast as possible.

Fancy giving Mike O'Leary ideas like this .

We could see Kensington post code flyers paying £3.99 and Tower Hamlets £399.00 !!

Riff Raff BonysLad
Old 08-04-2011, 09:58
Super Moderator

I think Senor Iriondo might be claiming "job seekers" allowance very soon.