Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-12-2009, 02:33
Super Moderator

Miriam, tell them to be very careful in the ferry port in Barcelona, there are a lot of bad peeps hanging around there .
Old 14-12-2009, 19:11

Unhappy ... the journey day 3

It started off well enough tho there was a covering of snow on the car but they got an early start and were making good time.
Just after lunchtime, I got a call from the ferry co. The weather is too bad and the ferry has been cancelled !
Not a problem for hubby, but son is flying back from Palma tomorrow.. so now he is flying from Barcelona TO Plama tomorrow morning, to get his Palma to Gatwick then connecting flight to glasgow... best laid plans !!!!!!!! lol
Fingers crossed all the flights work out tomorrow and hubby gets car and ferry tomorrow night

Miriam

( and sparky, thanks. Have passed on ur comments about the port to hubby)
Old 14-12-2009, 20:42
Super Moderator

Oh what a shame Miriam and i hate to say it but the wind is forecast to stay high for tomorrow and Wednesday. Hopefully they are wrong.
Old 14-12-2009, 22:50

Certainly not a night to be at sea,winds howling around and sea really rough. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. What a shame when they had done so well.
Old 15-12-2009, 11:15

Miriam,it is looking very bleak at the moment, hope hubbie has found reasonable accommodation in Barcelona as he may well be holed up there for another night at least.
Old 15-12-2009, 13:08

Smile ...the journey day 4

Well, son is now in Palma, waiting for his Gatwick flight. And Hubby ( left alone for just an hour ! ) managed to get the car clamped !
He decided to do a reccy at the ferry port, nipped into the Office there and came out to 4 port policeman and a going NOWHERE car ! Literally... they couldnt get the clamp back off ! He did however, manage to get the 160 euro fine down to 20 euros

... wonder what other bother he can get into today............lol

Miriam

He has his boarding card, and apparently, the ferry is going tonite for sure... hmmmmm
Old 15-12-2009, 14:52
Super Moderator

Oh NO!!! poor hubby what a nightmare and he has such a long wait. It drove us nuts and there were 2 of us, at least we had company. Fingers crossed that he doesn't have any more problems, give him my best wishes when you speak to him again Miriam.
Old 15-12-2009, 19:50

Miriam hi there!

This is a great little tale to follow.

Loved the bit about starting off from home with "mega pieces"!

Good job the "boys" weren't going in to the USA!

"What do you have in the bag sir?"

"My piece!"

then wondering why face down on the floor!

look forward to you telling us about a happy ending!

Porto
Old 16-12-2009, 00:32

Smile ...the journey day 4( part 2)

Lol @ porto ! I never thought of that !

Well... No. 1 son home safe and heading for a shower and bed ! A wee bit of drama on the last leg of the journey finally did for him.
His Palma/Gatwick flight was 45mins late... which meant he had less than an hour from landing in south Terminal, clear passport control and security, get a bus to the north terminal, clear security and get to the gate.
When he landed at Gatwick he foned and said he didnt think he would make the next flight... He really sounded down.
So I was online... checking out hotels and next day flights !
But he gave it his best shot, the flight was due to leave at 7pm... and someone must have been looking out for him... cause he got to the gate bang on 7... and managed to get on the flight ! He must have been in a bit of a state cos the airhostess arrived with a couple of bottles of water for him before they had even taken off ! He still had rosy cheeks when he arrived at Glasgow ! lol

Spoke to hubby at around 7.30 uk time and he said that the artics had started loading onto the ferry... so looks like he is on the last leg of the journey now, fingers crossed. No reply from his mobile ... so he is either fast asleep now... or has found the bar

Miriam
Old 16-12-2009, 01:46
Super Moderator

Hi Miriam, glad son is home safe, bless him . Does hubby get sea sick?, poor man may be on the porcelin phone .
Old 16-12-2009, 10:51

Hi Miriam

Can't wait for the next instalment, its like reading a good novel. Seriously though, really glad your son is now home safe and sound after such a stressful journey. Hope hubby has now arrived in Majorca (he doesn't sound too safe to be left on his own!) and that the sea wasn't too rough. Shame about the weather changing for the worst as they seemed to make really good progress up till Barcelona.

I have followed the journey with interest as it's something I would really love to do, but leisurely, stopping off at several places en route but I would have to take lessons on driving on the right side of the road, couldn't expect hubby to do all the driving........................................... ........................................or could I!!!

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 16-12-2009 at 10:59.
Old 16-12-2009, 13:23

Miriam,car safely parked outside,not yet seen Ali,guess he has his head down,but a bit nicer day today. Glad your son made it.
Old 16-12-2009, 15:15

Talking ... the journey's end !

At last ! Hubby called this morning... ( being considerate, he waited till 8.30 UK time ) and the wee car made it ! (oh and him too, without causing anymore chaos, well according to him lol )
The crossing was quite rough but he had a lovely ensuite cabin* all to himself and the the ship was very nice ( tho he did say all the cars and small commercial vehicles were parked up on deck ???)
It has been a bit of an adventure for both of them and I think hubby will sleep for about 2 days now ( if there is no sign after 24hrs, chris... give the door a knock plz ! lol )

Yes, WW... a nice leisurely drive down would be perfect.and not mid winter lol

Miriam

* We booked thru Direct Ferries and choose to sail with Balearia, being near 100 euros cheaper than Transmed.
When making the booking, the options were a standard seat or a 4 berth first class cabin ( despite there only being 2 of them ) so we presumed they would be sharing... apparently not, hubby had all 4 beds to choose from ! And got 120 euro refund for son not being able to travel on the following night.
Old 16-12-2009, 17:26

That made for great reading Miriam!

What an adventure for son and hubby... Really glad son got back ok and hubby made it to PP with the car

Debs
Old 16-12-2009, 18:42

Hi Miriam, I have really enjoyed clicking on each day to read the next installment to your story. It has been great reading - much better than 'The Archers" lol

Glad all ok and both your son and husband are safe and well - i'm sure it has been a litttle of a worry for you too. That car will hold many secrets - if only it could talk - now that could be another story!!!.........