Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-12-2009, 19:28

Hi Miriam!

Only just updated myself on this since my last post.

Great story for starters and the way you told it!

Was dead slow picking up on Sparky's remark re the porcelain telephone, then it clicked about the old Billy Connolly one about "Huuuughie!" and "Reeeelph!"

Good observation pops!

We await a full report on the health of "Travelling Man"!
Sponsored Links
Old 21-12-2009, 01:15

Talking

Well... he is home but had to end with a flourish !

Nice little 360 on his way to the airport ( at the wee roundabout before the roundabout taking u on to the motorway)
Man & Car survived intact but certainly got his pulse racing !

Both Alistair & Richard had a memorable wee adventure, tho Ric was disappointed he didn't make the ferry. Im a bit sorry to have missed out but hearing the pair of them talk about it more than compensates !

Miriam
Old 21-12-2009, 10:37

So glad he got home safe and sound and in one piece! My burning question now is "Would he do it again"?
Old 21-12-2009, 10:39

Miriam

So glad your hubby is home safely.

Brooksy
Old 21-12-2009, 11:04
Super Moderator

Yes i am pleased he made it back in one piece Miriam, it was great to meet up and have a chat with him.
Old 22-12-2009, 01:28

WW..............yup, in a minute !

Would I let him ?.... yup, in a minute...

....so long as all the insurance policies were fully paid up ! lol

Miriam
Old 22-12-2009, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by med777 View Post
WW..............yup, in a minute !

Would I let him ?.... yup, in a minute...

....so long as all the insurance policies were fully paid up ! lol

Miriam
A woman after my own heart.
Old 23-12-2009, 01:20

Default Park & Fly info

pops

have sent pm re Park & Fly for ur info.

Miriam
Old 04-01-2011, 22:45

Please could you tell me how it was taking the dog on the ferry? thanks
Old 13-01-2011, 12:06

Dan, the cost seems to vary depending on the season and operator. However, look at the Direct Ferries web site and you'll get a good feel for the options. I'd have to look at the tickets but we are travelling shortly and I seem to recall a cost of around Euro400 for return travel for car, 2 adults, accomodation and dog.
Old 07-03-2011, 20:22

Default Driving to Mallorca with dog on board.

As I promised, a short report on our trip to P. P. complete with hound!
We set off from Yorkshire in the early evening with the intentions of getting an early "shuttle" from Folkestone. In fact we did the journey to the terminal in much better time than we had hoped and got ourselves re-booked on an earlier service when we arrived at Folkestone.
I know we are "european" but there were no passport checks either on us or the dog, just a drive through with the "border officer" just briefly looking up as we passed. Again, in France, just off the shuttle and out into the night............our stashed tins of dog food could have been anything!!!
Our route took us down through Rouen, Evreux, Dreux then Chatres and on to the main A75 and an overnight stop in Bourges at the Etap Hotel. For those who do not know this chain, as we didn't, their properties are basic with few facilities such as restaurants but ours was spotless, the room was very comfortable and we were made very welcome. Our dog had been pre booked and whilst there are no "special zones" for pets, the company actively encourages their stay. You can buy a "self service" breakfast, served from 05.30 and this too was excellent......................not the "full English" but nearly the "full coninental".
An early'ish start took us on down via the Millau Bridge and on to Perpignan and into Spain. Whilst the French motorways are good, you know when you get into Spain as, at the moment the road south is being re-built for around 30 miles and very restricted. Our arrival into Barcelona coincided with the rush hour and it is not for the feint hearted unless you are familiar with the city or have a good sat nav............which we do!
It is a point worth noting that the French motorways are scattered with "Aires" or stopping places, some small, some large and mostly with toilets and fuel. The larger have one or more eating places too but that is not the case in Spain where the stopping places are far more basic. Another point is that there are long stretches of toll roads on the journey and the cost of these has to be allowed for.
The ferry terminal in Barcelona is, to say the least, chaotic but once you have found the right parking line and got checked in it is fairly easy to handle. On our arrival there were 5 boats leaving within a couple of hours and cars and coaches were in a real mess...............but, it was sorted. The ferry, mv Sorella is fairly new, I think about 15,000 tonnes and so, quite large. You can book a cabin on board or sit in the "aircraft type" seats. Dogs have a sepedrate area on the upper deck with about 30 kennels which must get quite noisy at times. There were around half a dozen on board when we crossed and that was loud enough!
There was a self service restaurant available on our overnight crossing but the food was nothing special. There is an a la carte location on board but it was all sealed up so I have no idea when it operates. We docked in Palma just before seven and, guess what...............we were checked by the Guardia Civil as we drove off, a bit more than when we left England.
So, here we are in PP, wall to wall sun but forecast for a bit of a blow tomorrow. As to the dog, she travelled well and is enjoying her holiday too and there is a good vet in town, should we need them.
We chose the "slow" way to get here and I know that with maybe 2 drivers taking shares, you could do the journey within 24 hours................you pays your money etc. Bringing the car has let us carry everything we need for a long stay, stop whenever we want and do what we want. Down side, cost of the ferry, something above £400, cost of fuel which is now Euro1.46 for diesel on French motorways and, toll charges. As to the fuel, IF you spend a few minutes and leave the motorway, you can find diesel at Euro1.30 in supermarket filling stations.
So, in a nutshell that's it............we're off for a quick one at El Ancla!
Old 07-03-2011, 21:30
Super Moderator

Tonsyl thank you for your post i enjoyed reading it, brought back memories of when we came over here to live. I know exactly what you mean about Barcelona ferry port, it's manic isn't it .
Anyway glad you made it safely and that Katie has settled into her new home, hope to see you about sometime.
Old 07-03-2011, 21:43

Default Etap hotels

I used to travel frequently through France with my dog and found that any of the ACCOR hotel chain, (In Descending order of stars) Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis, Etap, Formule UN and the new Adagio aparthotel chain) are excellent value. It is well worth checking out their website and getting the newsletter with regular deals. There is a loyalty scheme A-Club you get points and special offers.
All take dogs and there is a central booking number (English speaking). Can I recommend the complex at Coquelles (Tunnel sous la Manche) right by the Eurotunnel terminal and across from Cite-Europe shopping complex.
Minutes from the tunnel, this is ideal for stopover on way in or out.
There is an Etap, Ibis (with restaurant serving all three) and an Aparthotel which has changed its name from Suitehotel to Mercure likely to become an Adagio) Bon Voyage ! Gute Reise ! Buona Viaggio! Buenas Viajes
ps I AM NOT ON COMMISSION !

Last edited by Linguist; 07-03-2011 at 21:45.
Old 10-04-2011, 19:31

Default Return to UK

All good things come to an end and we are now back in "God's own county" and enjoying some brilliant sunshine....................which they say is not going to last too long.
Left PP last Friday morning and took the midday ferry to Barcelona. Palma terminal is streets better than Barcelona and our check in etc was a joy, no panic, no chaos and very orderley! Maybe we caught it on a good day. However, the ferry was rubbish, well actually the ship was good enough but the food was not only served cold but almost tasteless. The staff were not really interested and it took over an hour from the time of docking in Barcelona to actually driving the car off as we had to wait for every single lorry to be shunted backwards and forwards so that they could be driven off. Compared to the outward crossing (same company Acciona/Transmed) which was very good, this was not.
Driving out of Barcelona in the dark, which it was by the time we set off, is not for the nervous. Mrs. T consumed several grains of valium and I decided that the best action was "point and go" at any gap to be found in the traffic. Whatever, we did it and then headed North for Calais, stopping only now and again for coffee and nibbles and the odd "nod". Arrived at Calais just after lunch, got our shuttle tickets amended and caught the next available service.
Having had the dog "tick and worm" treated in PP we had up to 48 hours from the time of the treatment to the check in at Calais to comply with the pet passport scheme. When we do it again, we shall get a vet in France to do the job "en route" and take a more leisurely journey.
To summarise, we're glad we did it, we now know we can come to PP for a "long winter break" and how the system works re the dog, car etc.
To those we met over the past few weeks, thanks for making us welcome again and whilst we will be taking "quickies" by air between now and winter time, plans are afoot for the winter festivals next year and the dog to meet her "friends" she made!
Old 10-04-2011, 19:37

Glad you are home safe and sound Tonsyl after what must have been quite a tiring journey. Sounds as if you enjoyed your long stay in PP......looking forward to hearing how it felt to be a "Local" for awhile.