Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Improve Puerto Pollensa (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/3693-improve-puerto-pollensa.html)

Disorderly 21-08-2008 18:57

Pollensa, I totally agree with you that seafront stalls and sand castles are universally popular and add something to the resort and the negative aspets you highlight need addresssing.

I also feel, personally, that going away to "foreign parts" should allow us to enjoy the local culture, customs and cuisine, and it disappoints me when market forces demand the stuff many of us hoped to leave behind in the UK.

So let's resist more "fast food" and keep plugging the good local restaurants with the excellent posts on this site.

Yep, you're right......I'm going off post again. SORRY!!!

pollensa 21-08-2008 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disorderly (Post 24337)
Pollensa, I totally agree with you that seafront stalls and sand castles are universally popular and add something to the resort and the negative aspets you highlight need addresssing.

I also feel, personally, that going away to "foreign parts" should allow us to enjoy the local culture, customs and cuisine, and it disappoints me when market forces demand the stuff many of us hoped to leave behind in the UK.

I do agree entirely that particularly in PP, which is dependent on tourism, the council should listen to those who are interested in the Mallorcan aspects of the port. & again on a personal note, publishing the dates of the PP fiesta well in advance & the program in other languages, apart from Catalan, would also be very useful. We have to get it translated into English (by Ann from HIPP) every year.

gpm 21-08-2008 20:46

improve puerto pollensa

Nick, you seem to have the ear of the mayor. How do you get to see him and does he speak english. My own opinion is to stop the Magaluf type pubs opening in the port, the police dont seem to care about the noise at night.
gpm

Nick Barnard 22-08-2008 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpm (Post 24339)
Nick, you seem to have the ear of the mayor. How do you get to see him and does he speak english.
gpm

He speaks a little english, but only as much as most mallorquins in Pollensa. I meet with him on a regular basis because the company i work for are going to reform a dusty dirty gravel patch into a nice little square and we meet him every week or so to sort out planning and materials, etc.

debz1 22-08-2008 09:45

Nick that sounds very interesting!! Can you tell us where the dusty dirty gravel patch is?

Is it the one near Los Z where they are doing the nature walk by La Gola bridge? Or is top secret at the moment? ;)

Debs

Nick Barnard 22-08-2008 10:14

Haha, its in the old town, its not huge, but it does make that part of town lood horrible.

opposite the Pharmacy.

debz1 22-08-2008 10:39

Thanks Nick!

Shame, it would have been nice to have had a little square by the new nature trail...although for slightly selfish reasons as it's near our apartment so would have added to the area :)

Perhaps in your next planning session with the mayor............???!!! ;)

Debs

Project 24-08-2008 02:26

Hi all
I would love to see some renovation as opposed to dull modern new builds. Not wanting to rattle any cages as I am a builder myself, I live here and understand costing issues etc. but I am fed up of seeing Cell Block H type buildings springing up away from Bellresguard and creeping insidiously into other parts of the port and the old town. Having lived once for a few years in the old town, it's been nice to see some of the hostals taking this approach conserving the feel of the old town. Surely with the grants available from the gobern balear and the consell insular, more could be done? Anyway don't bother the mayor with this, as money to be made will always talk louder than "patrimonio cultural", I just wondered what others felt?

Joanne 24-08-2008 06:58

It would be nice to see the sand sculputures back and also the entertainers on the Pine Walk of an evening. Another great loss for us for the last few years as been Mr Helados on his motorcycle coming along the Pine Walk twice a day with his lovely ice creams. We were told when he retired the council wouldnt grant anyone else the licence, could this be something that could be looked at.

Sorry slightly off topic but havent seen Mr Helados (sorry know thats not his realy name) in the hut lately does anyone know if he is ok was such a nice jolly man.

Joanne 24-08-2008 06:59

Just thought of something else but it may have nothing to do with the Mayor but it would be nice to see Katys Bar (on the Pine Walk) reopened next year looked very sad being all closed up.

Wyevale 24-08-2008 12:02

Showers

Have just returned after i month's stay and the showers have just been put back!!. Yes PP has changed over the years and this year we did miss the sand sculptures and the stalls in the square at night. It seems to get a bit brash around Bony's but perhaps that is what some people like. Like others I do have a problem with the dog poo (v.bad this year)I thought the beaches were quite clean except for the cigarette ends(put them out in a bucket and take them away with you) I do worry about some of the cyclists particularly on the promenade when young children are running about. I don't know if anything can be done about that. I must mention the Hydro Park -v.clean -good facilities & well worth a visit.I do agree that we should support the local restuarants and no more Tex Mex's etc.
Enough said apart from the fact we all had a great time.
Wyevale.

Sparky 25-08-2008 10:47

Hi Nick, how did the meeting with the mayor go on Saturday?.:)

Pollpott 25-08-2008 12:16

Got back from PP on 16th August after 2 great weeks. The best 2 weeks so far, and we've ben going to PP for the last 6 years.
Was it my imagination, or were the first few days (from the 2nd to about the 6th) really really hot? We could hardly go out from the apartment it was so hot. I'm not complaining, we loved it. Since we got back home it's rained every day!
In response to others recent posts on the Forum, I didn't see any beggars there, just a few guys selling the usual rubbish, watches and flashy light things that's all.
I did notice the dog mess though. I've never noticed it on previous visits. And I did notice the over-flowing bins by the Oro Player. Not sure if they get emptied everyday and then fill up again the same day or if they hadn't been emptied for a few days. I know the recycling bins by our apartment, on the Formentor road by the Spar Supermercat, were emptied every morning very early.
Personally, I think they should bring back the sand sculptures and the market stalls. They added to the great, laid-back atmosphere during the evening strolls along the Pine Walk. Although this year we did see a couple of entertainers blowing huge bubbles and getting the kids involved, who seemed to love it. (And so did we, we stood there for ages watching them!)
As for the non-traditional eateries and the amusement arcade, they don't add to the place in my opinion but I suppose PP has to do what it can to attrract more visitors, and let's face it, without visitors it would just die. But I don't think the council need to do much to improve PP. It's just as great now as it's always been. We'll be back there as soon as we can. I's move there tomorrow if I could afford it.

susiejb 25-08-2008 22:21

street clown

We are back in PP in just over two weeks time and were quite disappointed to read this posting - we love the stalls on the front at night and the Friday street clown was just brilliant, we are really sorry he won't be there - he was great fun.
Also we agree some nice music playing is a real complement to a relaxing evening on the Pine walk.
Sorry to hear about the dog poo - we are bringing our friends and have raved about Puerto Pollenca and the Pine Walk for so long I hope we are not going to be embarrassed and constantly apologizing.
Lastly - please do something about cigarette end on the beach -absolute YEUK!
In Kefalonia last year all sunbeds had an ash tray which was emptied when the sunbeds were tidied up at night.
PLEASE don't let PP go downhill we love it too much.

allanglens 27-08-2008 16:31

I posted this on the thread re the new road / closure of the front, but I think it is just as relevant here:

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...html#post24542

There is a dearth of car parking in the town centre, and although the location is really too good for something like a multi-storey, if disguised by shops / offices on the square frontage with a car park behind, it could be a boon to the town.

allanglens