Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Mallorcan potatoes for export. (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/12620-mallorcan-potatoes-export.html)

Sparky 12-02-2016 11:21

Mallorcan potatoes for export.

I have just read that the first harvest of Mallorcan potatoes is already taking place, three weeks earlier than usual and the quality is said to be very good, this is due to the extremely mild winter we have had.

So Clinkham you better get Mrs C prepared for a trip to Accrington Market soon ;).

sws97sdg 12-02-2016 11:38

I have been checking Tesco and they haven't had them in yet, hopefully soon, I am going to get extra and try to grow them myself in my garden!!

Sparky 12-02-2016 11:48

But then they won't be Mallorcan :confused: ;) ;).

sws97sdg 12-02-2016 11:50

No, but hopefully just as tasty!! ;)

Sparky 12-02-2016 11:56

There are 2 varieties, maris peer y lady cristal, i wonder if the flavour would be the same if grown in the UK though, won't the soil and water make a difference :D.

sws97sdg 12-02-2016 12:12

Yes, I expect they will but the intrinsic flavour of the variety should still be there, and to get them early over here will be great!

Sparky 12-02-2016 12:16

It will be interesting to know how much they will cost, the growers are getting 0.70€ per kilo at the moment but that will gradually fall as the season goes on.

Lorenzo 12-02-2016 12:46

Will def keep an eye out for them here!
Some of the fruit & veg shops in Southampton have stocked Mallorcan potatoes in previous years. They are delicious! :D

clinkham 12-02-2016 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 108725)

So Clinkham you better get Mrs C prepared for a trip to Accrington Market soon ;).

I'll tell her of this much anticipated event when I visit her hospital bed this afternoon. She acquired a new knee yesterday.

Looks like it will be down to me to scour the markets for the spuds - and probably cook them as well :eek: Thanks for the heads up!;)

Sparky 12-02-2016 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkham (Post 108741)
I'll tell her of this much anticipated event when I visit her hospital bed this afternoon. She acquired a new knee yesterday.

Looks like it will be down to me to scour the markets for the spuds - and probably cook them as well :eek: Thanks for the heads up!;)

Please give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rosie34 12-02-2016 20:09

Mallorcan potatoes are just the best - years ago before the severe weight restrictions we used to bring them back:) They are just so creamy inside - perfect jacket potatoes.

Molt de Renou 12-02-2016 20:49

Are the Sa Pobla farmers missing something here ?

sws97sdg 08-03-2016 16:11

Apparently Waitrose will be stocking Mallorcan potatoes both loose and in bags from the end of March, I will let you know when they do!! :):)

sws97sdg 13-03-2016 18:17

Tesco finally have them in, £1 for 750g, they are Lady Christl variety, I will let you know what they are like

Tangoman 22-03-2016 13:07

Spuds for Sale

Hi SWS....

Just back from Tesco ........ not lucky enough to be going to PP until August this year ..... so was delighted to be able to purchase Majorcan Potatoes (Maris Peer) for 69p for a 750 gm bag - that compares well with what the growers are being paid for them (0.70 euro for same weight!!).

I will write my gourmet report after dinner tonight!! Yum! Yum!

Tangoman 22-03-2016 21:31

Fine Dining Report

Well here we go ....

Simply boiled the majorcan potatoes in some unsalted water, and then ate them with some ham ( Just a splash of salt ) ...... must say they were delicious, and would probably be very good cold with a salad .... have enough left to try that tomorrow, or I may even roast a couple as well.

However, the real test will be in August, when they will be consumed in PP ..... can't wait!!!

clinkham 23-03-2016 00:54

Acquired a supply of Mallorcan potatoes from Clitheroe market late this afternoon. :)

Sparky 23-03-2016 10:14

Is Mrs Clinkham back to full fitness or did you have to go on this expedition? ;).

clinkham 23-03-2016 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 109760)
Is Mrs Clinkham back to full fitness or did you have to go on this expedition? ;).

Thank you for asking. Operation went 'swimmingly well' according to Doc, but, (there's always a 'but'..) one of the fastenings into the tibia* was over tightened and cracked the bone. So she has just completed 5 weeks with no weight on the offending leg whilst it healed. Just been given the all clear and the physio has got to work on her new knee. Now walking well, with crutches, and little pain. Things are looking positive.
However, she remains in the attitude of being attended to as she has become accustomed to, so I continue shopping and cooking for the next day or two.:rolleyes:

More importantly, had discussions with travel insurance people and have got a further 12 month cover at a reasonable cost, bearing in mind the list of declared 'illnesses' and costly claims last year.

I guess they were working on the theory that lightening won't strike in the same place again. I certainly hope so after last years events :eek: August in PP now worry free!

DO MAKE SURE you have cover and you declare everything that may affect your claim. You know it makes sense........

p.s. Sorry for digressing. Back to the thread - potatoes were approx 70p per pound. They are being sampled this evening, if Mrs C approves my suggested menu:(

CathB 24-03-2016 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkham (Post 109773)
Thank you for asking. Operation went 'swimmingly well' according to Doc, but, (there's always a 'but'..) one of the fastenings into the femur(?) was over tightened and cracked the bone. So she has just completed 5 weeks with no weight on the offending leg whilst it healed. Just been given the all clear and the physio has got to work on her new knee. Now walking well, with crutches, and little pain. Things are looking positive.
However, she remains in the attitude of being attended to as she has become accustomed to, so I continue shopping and cooking for the next day or two (

My sympathies for Mrs Clinkham..I fell when we were out for Sant Antoni..fractured hip 6 weeks in wheelchair and 6 on crutches..Mr B is in the same boat as you ..head cook and bottlewasher as they say

I too digress...we purchased new season potaoes yesterday at Swansea Market..
Served with oven baked hake and a medley of veg...delicious they were too 😃😃

clinkham 24-03-2016 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathB (Post 109812)
.Mr B is in the same boat as you ..head cook and bottlewasher as they say

I too digress...we purchased new season potaoes yesterday at Swansea Market..
Served with oven baked hake and a medley of veg...delicious they were too 😃😃

Commiserations to Mr B and best wishes to you for a full recovery. Perhaps Mr B could advise the recipe? I see brownie points available for producing something like that ;)

CathB 24-03-2016 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkham (Post 109821)
Commiserations to Mr B and best wishes to you for a full recovery. Perhaps Mr B could advise the recipe? I see brownie points available for producing something like that ;)

Ha ha...I made the meal 😉😉

clinkham 29-03-2016 20:11

Mallorcan potatoes, @ 90p per pound, have arrived in the local Tesco and have nudged the Cyprus spuds to one side.
My menu this evening was pork loin from Waitrose, Mallorcan spuds from Tesco and a bottle of excellent Malbec from Aldi. Finished off with a really sticky toffee pudding from Morrisions.
Unsure about the economies of going out of town to Waitrose when we have Aldi, Morrisons and Tesco positioned on the same roundabout in the town. I suppose the free coffee is the magnet, plus one can replenish the stock of Waitrose 'bags for life' for use in Aldi.....:rolleyes:

Tangoman 29-03-2016 21:16

Majorcan Potatoes

Yes, eventually got around to trying them cold with a salad ...... just as I thought .... excellent!!!! However, noticed that Tesco had " sold out " of them very quickly indeed!! Hope more supplies are quickly on the way!

Tangoman 01-04-2016 13:45

Great news for all you potato afficionados out there - Majorcan spuds back in stock at Tesco - still 69p for a 750 gm bag. I look forward to all the culinary reports to come, especially as James Martin is no longer on Saturday Kitchen!!!;)

CathB 01-04-2016 17:34

Purchased in local market today...tonights menu..pork steak, cauliflower cheese and the potatoes of course 😉😉😉😉

copper 01-04-2016 17:50

Yes bought some at Tescos

Boiled with Fillet Steak and Caesar Salad Very nice !

sws97sdg 16-05-2016 14:27

Update on my Mallorcan potatoes I planted https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/...b9ac78ab_n.jpgUntitled by sws97sdg, on Flickr

mike_dublin 16-05-2016 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sws97sdg (Post 111606)
Update on my Mallorcan potatoes I planted ...

In a Malllorcan pot? ... ;)

sws97sdg 16-05-2016 14:54

No, a plastic one!!

Tangoman 16-05-2016 14:58

SWS

How much will you be charging for these?? Should be ready just before we go to PP.;)

sws97sdg 16-05-2016 15:13

You may have to wait a while until I scale up the production, hopefully when I move over!! Still lots in the shops if you haven't bought any yet, they are lovely potatoes!

Tangoman 25-05-2016 21:58

Peppers

Just a little update for all those of us still stuck at home, and not in PP yet.

My Bride came home today with a wonderful gift for me - because she knows that I love "Padron Peppers".

The point is that I have only ever got them in Waitrose, but now Tesco are selling them, at about half the price that Waitrose do. Looking forward to lunch tomorrow - will report (well, I can't do a restaurant report yet).

Every little helps!!!

Mark 25-05-2016 22:13

If you have a greenhouse or a very sunny garden you can grow Padron peppers in England. They take while to germinate so maybe a bit late in the year now, worth a try though. google to find the seeds.

A picture of some in our greenhouse from a few years ago,

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...psuw0hejxs.jpg
-

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps9mk8p6ag.jpg

They where really nice although if you leave them on the plant too long they change colour and are more like super hot chilly peppers !

Tangoman 25-05-2016 22:18

Nice greenhouse.

Do you do Cannabis as well, by any chance??

Mark 25-05-2016 22:19

Found a picture of a really hot one, when they go red don't eat them :)

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...psxza2r4gx.jpg

Mark 25-05-2016 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tangoman (Post 111926)
Nice greenhouse.

Do you do Cannabis as well, by any chance??

It's a really old grotty greenhouse that someone was throwing out, its the way I take the photos really close with my phone that makes it look good :)

Not yet found the cannabis seeds in the garden centre :D

sws97sdg 28-06-2016 15:18

Impressed with your peppers Mark!

Update on potatoes, nearly ready to harvest now, will let you know what sort of crop I get!

https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7429/2...d16b5d8c_z.jpgUntitled by sws97sdg, on Flickr

Sparky 11-02-2017 10:44

It doesn't look good for potato exports this year. This report is from the MDB :-

Quote:

Sa Pobla's early potato crop has been ruined.

The export of Sa Pobla potatoes will be delayed considerably. Following the damaging effect of heavy rain and floods, the wind of last weekend saw off plants that had survived. Josep Llabrés of the s'Esplet cooperative says that the early potato crop has been given up as lost.

The export campaign normally starts next month - it was earlier last year because of the complete contrast in weather - but it almost certainly won't start in March. Farmers at present don't know when to start taking potatoes out. Llabrés explains that they won't begin to get an idea until an assessment can be made of the condition of crops.

The additional damage caused by the wind is not expected to be claimed for. At the beginning of the week, the town hall published a list of damage from the floods that amounts to three million euros, three-quarters of which are for potato crops. In addition, there are claims made by growers within the cooperative who are channelling these via the Asaja farmers' association. Its manager, Joan Simonet, says that members have losses estimated at one million euros. Llabrés, however, believes that the total cost is much higher than has so far been declared.

In order for there to be a complete valuation, farmers are having to wait for insurance companies to send their assessors. They haven't yet been to Sa Pobla because they have been kept busy with claims on the mainland.

.................................................. ...............................
You can read the full story here :-

Sa Pobla's early potato crop has been ruined » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin

Lorenzo 29-03-2017 17:42

All is well! :) Just bought a 750g bag of Mallorcan new potatoes in Tesco in Bursledon, near Southampton today. £1.25 for the bag.