Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By kate1
  • 6 Post By PB1
  • 4 Post By El Gordo
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 2 Post By favie
  • 2 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By El Gordo
  • 3 Post By Rosie34

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 23:35

Default Typical October weather vs September

Have been in PP three times, all in September. Have always had perfect weather - warm, but not too hot, plenty of daylight and limited rain.

May have to come in October this year to coincide with half term for the kid.

How different is the weather typically? All the charts show a drop in light, heat and increase in rain, but I wandered how much that is really felt?

Otherwise, is there any other differences I need to be aware of? Restaurants all open etc?

Jon
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 17:42

Hi Jon,

We have been in October half term a few years now and on the whole the weather is not the same as September although I haven't had the joy of visiting in September since 2001. Half term is late in the month for most schools this year, ours goes into November! You may be lucky and have a good week but the reality is it will be mixed. This doesn't put us off as we are not looking for a sand and sea holiday but it may be worth considering if you are expecting long hot days. I think the drop in light, heat and increase in rain are felt.

I'll let others reply re restaurants etc as it's not my area of expertise but the ones we like tend to open all year!
Old 10-06-2013, 17:57

September is my favourite time to be in PP - not swelteringly hot, but loads of sun and quite warm evenings. The big difference in October (especially late October) is the evenings can be pretty cool (or even cold, if you are unlucky), which means usually it's not possible to sit out late without a jumper or jacket. We always go out at October half term and have had good weeks - and some quite bad weeks, with wind and rain. But as long as you are prepared with appropriate clothing you don't have to let it spoil the holiday.

Many restaurants close on the last day of October, meaning that if half term straddles the two months (as it does this year), the Port has a noticeably quieter feel as November starts. There are still plenty of places open though. I actually quite like the feeling of moving down a gear - it's lovely and peaceful with few holidaymakers around.

I assume your little one has just started school - if he/she isn't easily scared, I would thoroughly recommend Halloween in the Square in PP. Lots of restaurants give out sweets for the children who are trick-or-treating (it's 'truco o trato' in Spanish!) -and Nico's puts on a real show (the staff all dress up, in truly frightening outfits, and the restaurant is transformed with fake cobwebs etc). My two love it and we always pack a Halloween outfit for them to wear.
roig cat likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 18:51

We always visit in October half term. This has also been the last part of Oct/beginning of Nov for the last few years for us. Last year they had to clear the runway of snow at Newcastle before we could take off! It's much quieter and a real rest. The kids still play on the beach either in bathers or woolies weather dependent. We have had blazing sun some years and rain and storms the others but still a fantastic time. The real difference for me is the night times. I think they can feel quite damp (put the mozzie repellant on earlier in the evening than usual) but if you struggle to sleep in the summer heat then it's great. A real benefit is that the 3 kids (two of them now teens but have been going since they were little) enjoy sight seeing at this time of year as it's not too hot. We have def done a wider range of things on our Oct holidays compared to when we visited in the summer. The up side for us is that we can afford a villa that we couldn't contemplate in the summer. Then back to England rested with a sun tan and ready to face the run up to Christmas-having booked next year of course.
Mark, LK1960, lollipop and 3 others like this.
Old 15-06-2013, 09:49

Thanks all. As I feared, October sounds like a different proposition to our accustomed September holidays. Ah we'll, two weeks unauthorised holiday from school for the son it is then!
Old 18-06-2013, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
...................... Ah we'll, two weeks unauthorised holiday from school for the son it is then!
Hi Jon

I hope you don't mind me commenting, off topic.

As an ex teacher, I know there are difficulties associated with taking Holidays, both from a cost and convenience point of view.

But....If this is your sons first year at school please consider the effect of missing the start of the term on your son, both in making friendships and starting classes.
It may cause a lot of difficulties for him missing the first few weeks.

Hope you have a great time whenever you go.
lollipop, kate1, Nick and 1 others like this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 19-06-2013, 20:12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Hi Jon

I hope you don't mind me commenting, off topic.

As an ex teacher, I know there are difficulties associated with taking Holidays, both from a cost and convenience point of view.

But....If this is your sons first year at school please consider the effect of missing the start of the term on your son, both in making friendships and starting classes.
It may cause a lot of difficulties for him missing the first few weeks.

Hope you have a great time whenever you go.
Well said.
kate1 likes this.
Old 19-06-2013, 20:22

Really don't think this is any of our business.

This is a forum about PP.....not to lecture members!
debz1 and roig cat like this.
Old 19-06-2013, 20:51

Actually, El Gordo does have a point... I took our children off for ONE DAY'S extra holiday in October 2012 - simply because I'd left it too late to book flights for the Sunday, so had to come back on the Monday instead (ie the start of term). I received a very scathing letter from the Head - schools are much less tolerant than they used to be about unauthorised absences, simply because these are recorded and reflect badly on their OFSTED assessments, league tables etc. I was told that this ONE DAY'S absence was not really acceptable. Whilst I can sympathise with the temptation to take a child away from school during term-time - much cheaper, better weather - I suspect that primary (let alone secondary) schools now are much more strict about this issue than they used to be. I have a feeling that they may even incur fines - anyway, personally, I would not take a child away from school for two weeks during term time. (I do agree btw that it could have a detrimental effect on that all-important settling-in stage - after all, it's only a holiday...)
Old 19-06-2013, 21:00
Super Moderator

I agree with Favie in that this is not the place to discuss the pro's and con's of taking children out of school for holidays.

Can we please get back to the topic of the weather, thank you .
favie and roig cat like this.
Old 19-06-2013, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by favie View Post
Really don't think this is any of our business.

This is a forum about PP.....not to lecture members!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I agree with Favie in that this is not the place to discuss the pro's and con's of taking children out of school for holidays.

Can we please get back to the topic of the weather, thank you
Apologies to all

Please remove my comment although it was meant as a sincere concern, and in no way attacking anyone.

I will not comment further.
Sparky likes this.

My FlickR Photos

Last edited by El Gordo; 19-06-2013 at 23:10.
Old 20-06-2013, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Have been in PP three times, all in September. Have always had perfect weather - warm, but not too hot, plenty of daylight and limited rain.

May have to come in October this year to coincide with half term for the kid.

How different is the weather typically? All the charts show a drop in light, heat and increase in rain, but I wandered how much that is really felt?

Otherwise, is there any other differences I need to be aware of? Restaurants all open etc?

Jon
Hi Jon

We have been in both September and October over the years and really its a case of pot luck We have had dreadful weather in October - torrential rain etc - but also we have had just perfect weather - 'just right' temperatures and cool at night, but evenings warm and 'non-cardigan' I would say the good weather has outpaced the bad by a wide margin - hope I havent now put the mockers on our 3 week stay in October this year September weather was also good and also sometimes unpredictable. Have a look at some of Sparky's back-weather reports - might help
favie, Sparky and lollipop like this.