Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Members Area

Members Area This forum is both for new members to say hello and introduce theirselves and for ALL members to post when they are coming out to PP, arrange forum meet-ups etc. But please don't post anything here that would be better suited to the more specific forums.

Like Tree28Likes
  • 13 Post By Peachpiano
  • 8 Post By Gommar Goffer
  • 7 Post By scotslizzy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 23:06

Smile Funny but very important Solo travel hints!

Just back from my first short, solo holiday. Here are my notes: Apart from the couple that I met on the flight out, and whom I bumped into twice whilst out walking no one held a conversation with me, despite me wishing as many people as I could "good morning". That couple absolutely made my holiday and so from now on, if I see a solo traveller when I am travelling with my husband, I am going to go out of my way to speak to them. I bless their cotton socks.

Dining on my own was OK, particularly with my Kindle at my side. Although it looks daft taking photos of your drinks, or the plate of food in front of you, I could send them to my mates back home, and in a weird way it felt like they were enjoying it all with me via What's App!

Finding a daily routine was important: breakfast, swim, long walk, light lunch, siesta, read and FaceTime the family, walk and maybe some dinner.

Now for the very important stuff:
When due to catch the bus to the airport in the morning at 8.25, set your alarm for 7.25 and make sure that you are totally packed and have returned safe key and beach towel the night before to get your deposit back. In that way, when you wake up in the morning and realise although your wrist watch is on Spanish time, YOUR PHONE AND IPAD CLOCKS ARE STILL ON GMT and you should have been down waiting for the bus 15 minutes ago...you may actually still get downstairs in time to see the bus driver coming into the hotel to look for you!

Due to this near upset to your ego, as the seasoned traveller who couldn't possibly be such an idiot when travelling on her own, you get to the departure gate for your flight in good time. DO NOT get so engrossed in a magazine that you check your watch and wonder why the check in desk has not opened for the flight when it is due to leave in twenty minutes. DO NOT sit BEHIND the display unit telling you what flight is leaving from the gate where you are sitting, as when you sit down it may correctly state it is the gate for Edinburgh (my destination), but the sneaky airport staff may have at a later time changed the gate to a flight going to Cardiff! As you know, tannoy announcements are totally incomprehensible.

I quickly found out what gate was now boarding for Edinburgh and legged it, heart pounding, thinking the gate MUST have closed by now as the flight should be leaving in 15 minutes. This was going to cost me a fortune, I was going to be SO upset and my confidence was going to be shattered.

Happy ending - the gate was only just closing and eventually there was a family of five behind me, so I wasn't the last.

So I guess I have learnt that when travelling on your own, you have to be extra vigilant and when arriving at a destination that needs you to change your watch, don't forget to change your electronic gadgets as well. In five days I hadn't noticed the discrepancy!!

Happy holidays.
debz1, MoMike, Lorenzo and 10 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-05-2017, 09:47

Ah Peachpiano - I can so empathise with you as I now travel to the port alone frequently.

The first time I did it was after my separation and then divorce and I was just the same as you but have since found my routines and now feel quite an accomplished traveller! One day I hope to have the confidence to go further afield amd more off grid but my home s in PP.

It is very difficult to engage other people especially if you are shy like myself but I guess you just have to step out of you comfort zone and shell and go for it. The worst that can happen is that someone turns their back on you. It has happened to me!

Well done and look forward to the next trip better prepared.
Old 24-05-2017, 11:48

Default This is quite sad

Do couples feel threatened by a solo traveller or what ?

Out in June and I will make a point of talking to any solo travellers (whether they want to talk to me is another matter !!)

Scotslizzy
Old 26-05-2017, 10:08

I know this is a bit out of date but although I travel quite frequently with other people I do like the odd short break on my own even so I can take a good book and read without being disturbed. Only problem that can happen odd occasion is when dining out and need small table if they are for 4 people then can understand if busy can't have one.