Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Medical

Medical Any advice or questions welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-05-2011, 14:06

Cool Mosquitos in PP

Hi, I'm new to this forum but its been very helpful reading things so far.
My wife and I will be staying in PP for the first time for two weeks from 4th June. My wife suffers badly with Mossy bites (they just are an irritant for me) and on searching Google I noted that your next door resort of Alcudia suffers badly from Mossies and I was wondering what PP would be like. Maybe we are ahead of the main Mossy season - hope so.

Any info on the situation on the ground would be very welcome. Thanks

Richard
Sponsored Links
Old 18-05-2011, 16:45
Super Moderator

Hi Richard, i think Alcudia gets more mozzies because of the inland lakes. PP does not have these so it is less of a problem.
I too used to react badly to mozzy bites but since moving here it is not so bad. I would recommend investing in a plug in from "Raid" or "Bloom" for the bedroom and "Autan" lotion repellent for her body, also buy "After Bite", it is like a pen so easy to carry in a handbag or pocket. This has an amonia base so avoid contact with eyes and don't inhale the fumes but it is fantastic for taking away the itch and reducing any swelling.
Hope you enjoy your first visit to PP and remember to tell us all about it when you get back home.
Old 18-05-2011, 17:04

Hi Richard - would wholeheartedly endorse all the products Sparky mentions - Raid and Bloom are the best plug-ins and we prefer the liquid variety rather than the solid pastilles. After Bite is certainly pungent stuff but does work. We have also found that a product called Neosayomol (can't buy it in the UK but it is readily available in PP) is just amazing - I think it is an anti-histamine, but if you get it on to the bite immediately after it happens it seems to almost make it disappear - there is no pain or itching and the bite doesn't actually seem to develop. You have to be diligent about using Autan - it's an excellent product (smells quite nice too, unlike some others) but you can bet the one time you forget and leave it off will be the one time you get bitten. As Sparky says, I think with time putting your anti-mozzie protection on becomes part of your daily routine rather than a chore and you get bitten less and less.

If we are sitting outside in the evening we also burn citronella candles. Most villas/apartments we have stayed in have electric sockets on the terrace and we have found it helpful to use a plug-in there too, as well as in the bedrooms. I have to say that there are definitely more mozzies inland in the countryside - I have never been bitten while at the port.

Sadly although the mozzies will be worse in the height of the summer they are always around - we have been attacked quite badly at either end of the season, especially after rain.

Some people on the Forum have recommended using Avon Skin So Soft to keep the mozzies away, or taking a vitamin B supplement for a few weeks before coming out. I have tried both these and have to say I got eaten alive - after the first day it was back to the Autan!

Last edited by kate1; 18-05-2011 at 17:07. Reason: to add info
Old 19-05-2011, 12:37

Many thanks Sparky and Kate for this info. I used to be a boy scout (but so long ago I have forgotten it!) so I will come prepared!

Cheers, Richard
Old 19-05-2011, 14:34

Hi Richard, we always use the 'bug plugs' but instead of taking repellent, I always buy an aftersun with repellent in it. It stems back from when my daughter was very young and trying to get after sun and insect repellent on her was nightmare.
I tend to buy mine from Superdrug or Boots but we have also used Calypso, which we actually bought in PP as we ran out one year. I believe that you can also buy that over here now.

I also hate the smell of insect repellents yet the after suns with it already added just smell of after sun.

The other one is to take take Vitamin B complex for a few weeks before you go away and then whilst you are there. I have no idea whether it has been medically proven but it works for us and there are a few members of our party that really react badly to bites but this very rarely happens now.
Old 19-05-2011, 15:23

Thanks Cocoa. I have heard of the Vit B idea before but never tried it so maybe its time to try. If I do I will let you know the result. Cheers

R
Old 19-05-2011, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Hi Richard, i think Alcudia gets more mozzies because of the inland lakes. PP does not have these so it is less of a problem.
I too used to react badly to mozzy bites but since moving here it is not so bad. I would recommend investing in a plug in from "Raid" or "Bloom" for the bedroom and "Autan" lotion repellent for her body, also buy "After Bite", it is like a pen so easy to carry in a handbag or pocket. This has an amonia base so avoid contact with eyes and don't inhale the fumes but it is fantastic for taking away the itch and reducing any swelling.
Hope you enjoy your first visit to PP and remember to tell us all about it when you get back home.
WE use the leaves of the Aloe Vera plant, very effective on all burns, bites etc. It grows well on the window ledge in our kitchen and chef jimbo uses it quite often to soothe burns.

cheers,

jimbo
Old 24-05-2011, 13:41

Someone has told that they use Tiger Balm, yu can get it in pharmacys and have said that it is brilliant. Never used it myself so can't vouch for it. We use DEET 100 and that works a treat. God only knows what you're doing to your skin of course, but needs must and all that!!!
Old 31-05-2011, 22:10

I always use Tiger Balm for aches and pains...too much gardening and picking up grandchildren means I usualy have backache! It's also brilliant for putting on your temples if you have a headache. I was really interested to read that it is a mosquito repellant so went to The Body Shop today to buy another little pot to take to PP. I was horrified when the assistant told me they no longer sell it as it contains Tiger bones However I have just googled it and it now appears to be made from entirely herbal ingredients, the main ones being camphor and menthol.

An added bonus is it has a gorgeous smell, and the thought not having to chase those pesky mozzies around the bedroom at some ungodly hour( which normally means I put my back out in the process) and knowing no animal has been harmed is good enough for me.

Will have to try Boots tomorrow
Old 31-05-2011, 22:41

Avoid the Tiger Balm Red - hot sensation and used for muscle pain.
Go for the Tiger Balm White - cold sensation and advertised for mozzie bites, and also the Tiger Balm Soft - also for bites, but it's new and may only be for sale on their own website.
Old 31-05-2011, 22:48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
I always use Tiger Balm for aches and pains...too much gardening and picking up grandchildren means I usualy have backache! It's also brilliant for putting on your temples if you have a headache. I was really interested to read that it is a mosquito repellant so went to The Body Shop today to buy another little pot to take to PP. I was horrified when the assistant told me they no longer sell it as it contains Tiger bones However I have just googled it and it now appears to be made from entirely herbal ingredients, the main ones being camphor and menthol.

An added bonus is it has a gorgeous smell, and the thought not having to chase those pesky mozzies around the bedroom at some ungodly hour( which normally means I put my back out in the process) and knowing no animal has been harmed is good enough for me.

Will have to try Boots tomorrow
Debz when you are out here again go to the Chinese emporium in C/Roger de Flor and buy an insect zapping tennis racket, they are brilliant and i am sure they are under €10.
Old 01-06-2011, 13:09

I used the white Tiger Balm this morning on a bite and it took the itch away really quickly.Its the first time I had tried it.
Old 01-06-2011, 13:19

Where abouts is it sold in PP lollipop?
Old 01-06-2011, 16:04

I don't know LOL, my daughter gave it to me . I will try and source some and let you know.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:38

just went to my pharmacy and looked for tiger balm white, only to be told they can't get it anymore. They only had the red one. Can you get it in PP I wonder?