Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-03-2013, 13:07

Default 183 day rule accountant help needed!

We're looking to move to Mallorca later in the year once our property here is sold and we've bought something smaller in the UK to rent out and give us something to keep a foothold in the UK.

The issue I'm concerned about is that I get paid most of my income as a dividend being a company director. I know the tax arrangements in Spain are different to the UK, so this probably isn't the most efficient way of being paid in the future. The question I have is when does the 183 day taxation rule run from as the UK tax year runs from April and the Spanish one from January.

If I move out after July would I be deemed to have spent more than 183 days in the UK this tax year and pay UK tax for any income before we leave? Do we then start with the Spanish tax in January? Does it just switch when we move, so we pay tax in the UK on earnings up till we leave, then tax in Spain for income from then on?

If anyone knows the answer, or could recommend a good Spanish accountant who understands the UK and Spanish tax systems then I'd love to know. We would be happy to pay for the service, because I know that if we get it wrong it could end up being a very expensive mistake. Also we'd need a good Spanish accountant once we've moved to keep our tax affairs in order!
Sponsored Links
Old 28-03-2013, 18:45

Tax is aid a year in arrears,so 2013 is for the year 2012. When we changed from Non resident to resident in a Nov we didn't have to pay any tax until a year the following January. I will try and PM you with details of a gestor in Pollensa, he is mallorquin but does speak English .
Old 09-05-2013, 16:29
Under Moderation

Default Same question

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex View Post
We're looking to move to Mallorca later in the year once our property here is sold and we've bought something smaller in the UK to rent out and give us something to keep a foothold in the UK.

The issue I'm concerned about is that I get paid most of my income as a dividend being a company director. I know the tax arrangements in Spain are different to the UK, so this probably isn't the most efficient way of being paid in the future. The question I have is when does the 183 day taxation rule run from as the UK tax year runs from April and the Spanish one from January.

If I move out after July would I be deemed to have spent more than 183 days in the UK this tax year and pay UK tax for any income before we leave? Do we then start with the Spanish tax in January? Does it just switch when we move, so we pay tax in the UK on earnings up till we leave, then tax in Spain for income from then on?

If anyone knows the answer, or could recommend a good Spanish accountant who understands the UK and Spanish tax systems then I'd love to know. We would be happy to pay for the service, because I know that if we get it wrong it could end up being a very expensive mistake. Also we'd need a good Spanish accountant once we've moved to keep our tax affairs in order!
Hi Codex, I was wondering how you got on with your enquiry? I am n a very similar position as a company director receiving dividends. We are planning to move to pollenca in the next few months and I'm worried about tax. I will move my partner and children there full time but will only spend less than 6 months there myself.

Did you manage to find a good accountant?
Cheers