Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > LIVING & WORKING IN POLLENSA > Living & Working in the Pollensa Area

Living & Working in the Pollensa Area This forum is for any comments, questions and advice about living (permanently or temporarily) and working in the Pollensa area. Aimed at ex-pats, property owners etc.

Like Tree19Likes
  • 6 Post By debz1
  • 1 Post By romanb
  • 1 Post By alcanadakid
  • 5 Post By Sparky
  • 3 Post By romanb
  • 3 Post By Deanscroft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 13:18
Under Moderation

Default Pollenca or Port?

Hello

We are currently looking to buy a holiday home in either Pollensa or Puerto Pollensa with maybe looking at in the future retiring at this property.

Can anyone living in these two areas or renting in these areas give any opinions or views on there preferences/why to help me make my decision.

Thanks in advance x
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2015, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtemma View Post
Hello

We are currently looking to buy a holiday home in either Pollensa or Puerto Pollensa with maybe looking at in the future retiring at this property.

Can anyone living in these two areas or renting in these areas give any opinions or views on there preferences/why to help me make my decision.

Thanks in advance x
This is quite difficult to answer as different people like different things which becomes very obvious when you read posts on the forum

We bought our apartment in the Port as we wanted a holiday home near the beach, and also wanted to be close to all the bars and restaurants. We're in a residential area, so it's very quite, but only a minute from the beach and a gentle 10 minute stroll to the lively square. We often go into Pollensa to eat and shop as it's only a 5 minute drive away, and find this is perfect ..for my family. Will you have a car as I would think it a must if you were living in Pollensa?

Have you visited the area in the Winter? If not I would strongly advise before making a decision. Both the Port and Pollensa are very quiet, with many of the bars and restaurants shutting at the end of October. Some don't open again until the start of the season the following April. The changeover at the end of the summer season can be an eye opener if you haven't witnessed it!

Good luck and I'm sure whichever you choose will be the right decision for you
Old 04-08-2015, 10:14

We do not live or rent long term in either Pollensa or Puerto Pollensa but visit usually five times a year. In the summer we tend to book Puerto Pollensa but in the winter Pollensa, although we have stayed in Pollensa in the summertime as well. Pollensa still seems pretty much open during the winter months, whereas the Port is deserted. We are looking at possibly going for long term rental and I think my preference would be for the old town. I am not sure of you have visited in the winter but agree try before you buy. This coming winter for the first time we are going to stay in Puerto Pollensa for week so maybe this will help us decide if we definitely want to go with Pollensa.
Belladonna likes this.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtemma View Post
Hello

Thanks in advance x
When we bought, we started looking in PP and then Pollensa. When we couldn't find what we wanted we spiralled outwards and ended up in Alcanada, near Port Alcudia. For us it is perfect, fabulous sea views, a quiet residential area and only 5 minutes drive or 30 min walk from Port Alcudia which has some very good restaurants. It has a very different atmosphere to PP. The first 100 m of beach in the Port is man made but then after that there is 11km of wonderful sand and clear safe water.

In the hot months it is better to be near the coast where you would get a sea breeze as some of the inland areas would be very hot.

I do agree with others that you should visit in winter, Jan or Feb, to see how things close down. A few years ago there were a few restaurants that stayed open throughout the winter, but over the years this number has diminished. I suggest that you also look at flight availability in the winter months. We use Gatwick where there are flights every day, but that is not the case with many airports and some have no flights in the winter.

If you intend to rent out, then bear in mind that the rental season is much shorter than most people imagine. You would also need to get all the permits etc which is not as easy as it used to be,

Good luck with your search, it is a beautiful island and buying a house here was one of the best moves we have ever made.
Belladonna likes this.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:44
Super Moderator

I live in the Port all year round and yes it is quiet in the winter but would not say it's deserted. I actually prefer the winter to July/August because most of the residents who work all summer have time to relax, have a drink and a chat.

Most of the front line places close but there are still plenty of bars and a few restaurants open in the back streets.

I would really advise you to spend some time living in both the town and port in the off season as both of them are very different when the tourists have gone and don't rush into making a decision .
pollensa, CathB, debz1 and 2 others like this.
Old 04-08-2015, 15:44

Having just returned I must say we also prefer Spring, Autumn, Winter to the height of Summer. That goes for both the Port and Pollensa town.
CathB, debz1 and Sparky like this.

Last edited by romanb; 04-08-2015 at 15:48.
Old 05-08-2015, 15:34

While most things have been touched on in previous replies the one missing is noise. We have friends who have lived here for many years. They have lived in two properties in the old town and now have a villa a little outside of the town. They have said on many occassions that the only time that the town was quiet was from about 3am to 5am each morning. For the other 22 hrs a day the noise was continuous. Groups of people talking loudly, cars, mopeds with no silencers, dogs barking etc etc. If you like a bit of peace and quiet it is a major consideration.
debz1, whaleywanderer and Sparky like this.