Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
OK - to start us off.
I have a 1.25m dish mounted on the roof of my house in Gotmar.
This morning I have no signal on any BBC channel TV or radio
I know this doesn't help, but here in the UK I watched some BBC1 this morning and I don't think you missed much.
debz1, sws97sdg, Mark and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2014, 11:08

Down here in Algaida I can see BBC1 etc. on a 1.6 metre dish, but with reduced signals similar to the 2F satellite . Can't see BBC1HD. The real test will come in the evening as to the continuing strength of the signals, and I expect that rain will now have a much greater effect. Time to climb onto the garage roof and see if I can fine tune the orientation of the dish to claw any more signal!
Rod
Old 06-02-2014, 15:05

OK, I have 3 status reports

1 In Llenaire on a 1.5m dish on the roof of a 3rd floor apartment....no BBC at all or radio

2 In Pinaret on a 1.25m dish on the roof of a 3rd floor apartment....no BBC at all or radio

3 In the centre of the Port opposite the marina, on a 1.5m dish on the roof ....no BBC at all or radio......but quite bizarre that we can now receive channel 5 at home in the centre of the Port ?????
lollipop likes this.

Last edited by usandthewoof; 06-02-2014 at 15:06. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2014, 17:57

After a disappointing start this morning and no BBC at all, we have done a more thorough check this afternoon; we can receive CBBC, which is the clearest also most of the BBC standard definition programmes, albeit pixelated but watchable, the least pixelated being the Southern channels. We cannot receive any of the HD channels.

Just been on the roof and we have a 1.8 mtr dish, we are a 3 storey block in Gotmar.
Old 06-02-2014, 18:51

i know that you would be breaking the law by using a Sky receiver in Spain, but we all know it goes on, do we know if anyone using a Sky receiver has been affected?
Old 06-02-2014, 20:25

After having no BBC on either our own dish via freesat box or on our community dish we now have BBC channels restored on our community dish. We are in the higher part of Gotmar. We do have Channel 5 on our own dish.
Old 06-02-2014, 22:32

Update: 22:30 No BBC channels 😕
Old 07-02-2014, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLD43 View Post
i know that you would be breaking the law by using a Sky receiver in Spain
always confused me this one why is it breaking the law we're all EU citizens after all with no borders supposedly
Nick likes this.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:27

As I understand it you are not breaking the law. What you are breaking is your agreement with Sky that states that you are using the equipment within the UK.

There are international agreements is place between the transmitting Companies in which they carve up the world between them and donīt tread on each others toes.

I havnīt spoken to anyone yet who has a Sky subscription but I understand that Skys channels moved onto the UK beam on February 4th

For the Free channels it makes no difference whether you are receiving them from a Freesat box, a Sky box, or a non-platform box.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:48

Do we know yet if its just a case of getting a bigger dish.?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:49

Update: Radio 2 poor quality this morning, and no BBC 2 or 4 at all yesterday evening. BBC 1 was okay, but not HD. And, as Lollipop mentioned, we have had no problems with Channel 5.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:35

Quote:
As I understand it you are not breaking the law. What you are breaking is your agreement with Sky that states that you are using the equipment within the UK.

There are international agreements is place between the transmitting Companies in which they carve up the world between them and donīt tread on each others toes.

I havnīt spoken to anyone yet who has a Sky subscription but I understand that Skys channels moved onto the UK beam on February 4th

For the Free channels it makes no difference whether you are receiving them from a Freesat box, a Sky box, or a non-platform box.

Deanscroft you must be a mind reader, just going to ask the questions you have just answered!
So just to confirm, if you pay to receive Sky/other subscriptions, you will still be able to see all the stations you pay for and could see before, its only if you are trying to receive the stations free/or unofficially that you can no longer receive them, is that right?
BTW you can receive BBC radio stations via iPlayer I believe!

PS, and if you want to receive freeview you may need a larger dish

On island time!!

Last edited by sws97sdg; 07-02-2014 at 09:38.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:49

Quote:

We pay Ģ20 per month for Sky in our apartment, Ģ10 for the channels and Ģ10 to pause and record. I will be interested to hear from anybody who has this service as I can't get over at present. Their must be thousands of customers all over Europe who pay subscriptions to Sky and they know its going on but turn a blind eye to it. Are they happy to lose all the business?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:58
Super Moderator

Quote:

Deanscroft is (i believe) correct about it breaking your contract with Sky but i am sure i read somewhere that you are breaking the law if you don't have a valid UK TV licence .
Old 07-02-2014, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Deanscroft is (i believe) correct about it breaking your contract with Sky but i am sure i read somewhere that you are breaking the law if you don't have a valid UK TV licence .
I would imagine you are only breaking UK law. I can't imagine they will send their detector vans over to Mallorca to catch people. If you admit to it though that is a different matter, and would be the evidence for a conviction. Typical fine for a guilty plea would be about Ģ300 with costs. Sadly, TV licence courts are mostly full of single parents who can't afford the licence and need the TV to keep their children entertained. Most magistrates do this with this with a heavy heart. There should be a better system
El Gordo likes this.