Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente

Hotels, Villas & Apartments in Pollensa & Cala San Vicente Discuss hotels, aparthotels, private villas, apartments and any other type of accommodation in the Pollensa area including Cala San Vicente. Do add reviews and comments for specific hotels and apartments. Readers find these very useful. However this forum is not a place for advertisements. Check out the 'Advertise' page on the main web site.

Like Tree517Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-03-2018, 10:29

Have you found anything at all that fulfills the stated criteria and meets your budget Ricky? Sounds like a big ask. I'm not sure what you'd do every day, living in the town, apart from get in the car to go somewhere. Obviously a lovely town to live in, but not exactly vibrant in Winter either.
Having spent a fortnight out there end Dec/Jan, I think the whole appeal is the fact that you've got the place to yourself and its a great time to explore and being close to the beach is what its all about. For us anyway!
Sponsored Links
Old 20-03-2018, 11:55

No, haven't seen anything yet. I have to use the internet here in UK and the agents details are pretty poor, usually it looks like a nice flat or apartment but no external shots, for a reason. In the old town prices are eye watering, more sensible in PP. I am not willing to fly out to look at something that would waste my time as I have done in the past, but on the other hand I think you need to be there for a good while to find the nice ones. I simply haven't the information and knowledge to reach a rational decision yet, hence me being on the forum.
There are much better value properties in Spain than Pollensa region but if there's one thing I've learned as property person is that there is ALWAYS a reason for something being the price it is, usually location location etc etc!!

We may end up renting for 6 months instead of dreaming from the UK
Old 20-03-2018, 13:42

I cant say I've noticed much difference in costs between the Port and the old town. Flats in the port were around 120*m² and cost in the €250-300K (€2.5K/m²) ballpark and the house I've bought in town is also €2.5K/m². None of these had a pool though which I suppose does make a massive differnce if you're going to try and squeeze one into a town house...

Meanwhile, back on topic...

It looks like I'm stuffed and you Port dwellers are going to be quids in after the end of the July touristic rental licence moratorium.

The old town is deemed as being saturated so I can only let my house out 60 days a year if I actually manage to make it my main residence (which it wont be until I retire in at least 11 years - and then where do I live while I let it?)

https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...ted-zones.html
Old 20-03-2018, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky230 View Post

We may end up renting for 6 months instead of dreaming from the UK
That's what I would do, rent for a few months in the port and maybe a few months in pollensa town and get a feel for both places at various times of the year.

A few years ago one of my friends who travels around the world as he works remotely on web design rented an apartment in the port for 6 months so I went to visit for a free 'working' holiday to visit my friend.

The apartment looked OK, the problem was late at night, about midnight.

The Spanish couple that lived in the apartment above would argue badly, it sounded like a murder taking place most nights. a shrieking and screaming Spanish lady that sounded like she was being strangled.
It was a very worrying sound and happened most nights.
I Didn't get much sleep that week. Enjoyed the working holiday though

The next year my friend rented a small town house in pollensa old town.
It looked lovely on photos, I went for another working holiday.
This house was 45 seconds walk from the square, peace and quiet away from the tourists and the square, it was lovely.

The problem was that late at night the next door neighbour would arrive home from work at about 1 AM on his Harley Davidson, he left it chugging away outside while he positioned a wooden ramp from the street up to the double front door of his house, then revved the arse off the Harley Davidson to drive it up into his house.

Then he played full volume rock music for a few hours which was so loud it was as though the speakers where in our house... and I mean loud and I am not one to complain.

I had a great time though

This will have been why these two properties where long term rentals, no one would want to live there for long.

So I would say have a good look at all times of the day before buying somewhere as noisy neighbours in Spain are very noisy.
Old 20-03-2018, 19:45

Scary! But I suppose it can happen anywhere. Except in UK you have redress through our local Police or Council, not so sure about Spain!
Old 20-03-2018, 21:04

We were really worried about our house. During the 4 days we stayed in Pollenca we stalked the sh#t out the poor old house. We hung around outside morning noon and night...
Old 24-03-2018, 11:39
Super Moderator

A report in the MDB :-

Quote:
Pollensa concerned about its tourism economy.

In Pollensa, which is considered to have been the "cradle" of holiday rental accommodation in Majorca, there is some concern that the main economic activity in the municipality is being affected by the holiday rentals legislation. There are signs of fewer people being employed.

The town hall wants the Council of Majorca to reconsider the classification of Pollensa town as "saturated" and to therefore enable all-year rental of all types of property. This submission from the town hall comes from the ruling Junts Avançam and UMP (Unió Mollera Pollencina) as well as from the opposition Tots per Pollença and Partido Popular. Only the Alternativa per Pollença disagrees. ..................................
The full story can be seen here :- https://majorcadailybulletin.com/new...m-economy.html
Lorenzo and bobley like this.
Old 06-04-2018, 16:06

Angry

Words cannot express my anger with the rental situation. The hotel & commercial apartments prices are far too expensive for us. We have spent thousands of pounds in the Port over the last 24 yrs. Wish we hadn't now.
joey36 and Rosie34 like this.
Old 06-04-2018, 16:25

Totally agree. It makes me so angry as well. Wouldn’t want to stay in an hotel, let alone an all inclusive one. Really think the restaurants will lose out and the other small businesses and the people dependent on these. It must surely be detrimental to PP and other places in Mallorca. And by the time this is realised it will be too late maybe.
Old 06-04-2018, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
Totally agree. It makes me so angry as well. Wouldn’t want to stay in an hotel, let alone an all inclusive one. Really think the restaurants will lose out and the other small businesses and the people dependent on these. It must surely be detrimental to PP and other places in Mallorca. And by the time this is realised it will be too late maybe.
And me. We used to come 3 times a year(did Feb half term for 200 pounds, including an apartment in the front 12 years ago).Always went for an apartment.Like the freedom of choice. We are not wealthy and cannot afford to come whatever.I really think the
Bars and restaurants will feel the pinch. If not and there are enough people who can still afford to come, I'm afraid it will be a sad goodbye.
Old 06-04-2018, 17:52

The same for us Stoxie. I had this stupid idea we could visit PP always, but it's not to be.
Old 06-04-2018, 20:10

I am sure that once the licence issue is sorted and people can apply then the situation will change for next year.
animagic21, Rosie34 and copper like this.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:38

We were talking to our Spanish friends who live and have businesses in PP. They are concerned about the rental situation and how it will affect businesses too of course. It's so sad to read the posts from such lovely people who have come to PP for so many years who are upset by all the problems and uncertainty at the moment. The friends said that a similar situation happened about 20 years ago but not anywhere as extreme with renting/suggesting licences. They feel as many of their family and colleagues that with elections next year (they thought were on) they hope that things would change. A word of caution..... beware also to any owners renting apartments regardless and taking a change not following the "rules" that the inspectors have been out around PP and knocking on doors. A number of people have been caught out.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:52

That's interesting Bekki. As you know, we rented your apartment a few times & it was great. It's all so frustrating!!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:33

I am trying to find work in the port at the moment and several businesses have said "no - we have had to let staff go or not employ as many this year because of the uncertainty".

I also saw a chap working his way down the Pine Walk and he looked like he was cataloging all the properties and taking pictures of them all. To what end I do not know but it made me wonder.