Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-07-2009, 20:36

Default Delays checking in at Palma - the dreaded excess baggage!

Depite arriving in plenty of time for the flight home we had a bit of a rush at Palma.

This was mainly caused by the extraordinary length of time it took check in because once again they were being VERY strict about excess baggage. They were even weighing ladies' handbags this year and this was causing outrage!

People were - as usual - disputing the cost and so it took ages to go through (we were spot on weight wise but only because I spotted what was happening and we removed the camera, sunglasses case and our document wallet from my handbag before approaching the desk.)

Security was speedy enough but when we got to the gate the flight was boarding already - some 50 minutes before it was due to leave.

So... no breakfast, no last minute shopping for alioli and Macia Batle

Buy luggage scales - you have been warned!!!

Lala
Sponsored Links
Old 14-07-2009, 20:40

We've lost ours! We put them somewhere safe and now can't find them! Thanks for the warning, Lala!
Old 14-07-2009, 20:49

Who were you flying with Lala? We came back just over a week ago with EasyJet and check in was an absolute doddle....a joy...with friendly, joking, happy check-in staff and no queues.

I'm afraid I'm one of the "speedy boarding" group. I travel with my wife, son and daughter-in-law - so I always get to sit alone with "the perfect stranger"! Boarding at the end of the "speedy boarding" queue allows me to pick my "companion" and avoid sceaming child/ very fat person/drunk/stag party etc.

Cheers.

Duncan (AKA Victor Meldrew!)
Old 14-07-2009, 21:09

We recently flew back to Exeter with Flybe and the staff at Palma were lovely -told us luggage was overweight - then laughed and said 'only joking'. This was a direct contrast to the check in at Exeter - what a misery -the girl on the desk was not pleasant at all.
I do think the airlines are being more meticulous and we now pack our luggage scales - just to be sure.
Old 15-07-2009, 08:59

We were with FlyGlobespan. The check in at Edinburgh was very friendly but at Palma the lady's face could have melted a welly! Not surprising really though with everyone complaining...

[Jane - "Instore" have a set of luggage scales for £3.99]
Old 15-07-2009, 09:52

Easyjet are a nightmare when it comes to excess luggage. We have been caught a few times, even when we DO use our luggage hand weighing machine and it says under! Absolutely no use in saying anything, you just have to pay up.
The funniest thing was returning a couple of weeks ago. We were pretty sure that our luggage was 2k under on each suitcase but you never can tell on their scales, but the family of 6 ahead of us were 1k over - 1K!! The girl on the desk glared at them and gave them the relevant form to take over to the payment desk, then waved us up to her. We put our suitcases on and they were EXACTLY 40k!! Well, her face was a picture! She actually shook her head, turned her mouth down, raised her eyebrows and shrugged!! She was SO disappointed that she couldnt charge us! It was all I could do not to smirk. Well, OK, I did!
Old 15-07-2009, 10:54

We always find Easyjet check in staff at Palma are really friendly, and have never had any problems. We are usually, over 2 suitcases, bang on the
40k , although mine is sometimes over hubby's is under so it balances out We have never had any shrugs or raised eyebrows.

Weighing handbags? That's ridiculous Whatever airline is that Lala? I would have thought it more sensible to weigh people if they are getting that picky
Old 15-07-2009, 11:28

We came out with Easyjet last week from Gatwick and they said that they were introducing a new policy from that day. Only one piece of handluggage was to be allowed with no exceptions, Anything over was charged £16 per piece and checked in. Also anything that looked as though it could be oversize was checked in their little frame. Airport shopping didn't seem to count.
Old 15-07-2009, 11:40

Smile Baggage fiasco

Same thing happened to us a couple of weks ago. A young spanish lad was overweight on his baggage. Give him his due he tried everything,unloading from his case into his hand luggage which would then not fit the gauge. Fortunatly it did not cause too much delay and actually became entertainment for those of us further back in the queue watching the drama unfold. Eventually after donning layers of clothing and bits and bobs in his pockets accopanied by a resounding cheer and much applause he made it through. The puzzling thing for me was, his actual combined baggage and personal weight was the same as before the fiasco started ! So whay was the point of the exercise ? He was later spotted near the boarding gate peeling off layers of clothing and stuffing them into his hand luggage. Viva espania !!!!
Old 15-07-2009, 12:40
Founder

It might be time to get a pair of these neat digital scales - see www.puertopollensa.com/travelaccessories

I've seen them reviewed & they appear to work a lot better than the mechanical ones. Ryanair have had a strict one piece of handluggage for a while & that does include handbags & airport shoping - we have to squeeze it all in one bag.
Old 15-07-2009, 14:04

This happened to me on June 22nd at, dare I say it, another spanish airport. I was flying BMI Baby from Almeria, a tiny airport & they were checking everyones cases & all hand luggage.Utter chaos & only just through security in time, but then announced that the plane was late arriving from UK , half an hour delay. (Coincidence?)
I don't think it matters much which airline you are flying with, it seems to be a policy of spanish check in staff (who are used by all airlines) to randomly check whole flights, whether its easyjet, BMI, whatever.
Old 15-07-2009, 17:00

This happened to us with Ryanair. As we are always back and forth to Mallorca we too bought a case weight measure. We weighed our cases and were 2 kilos under on both only to be told by old misery that we were over when we got to the desk. We took a few items out of our case and placed into hand luggage which was much under. She was disappointed!! Many people were having to pay but one family with a child were 6 kilos over and let off!!!! Also just a warning - on the way out we had to weight 1 hour 40 mins to check in our bags. It was mad, so busy. We were lucky we were very early or we would have missed the flight!! No more Ryanair for us - just not worth the stress AND their scales are well out!!!! BEWARE!
Eleanor
Old 15-07-2009, 19:12

We too had checked our bag with the travel scales before leaving the villa and when we arrived at Palma they had gained 1.5 kilos. Fortunately the bag weighed 1 kilos under the allowance weight, with the extra 1/2 a kilo the amount we were then over, we were not charged by Ryanair. The couple next to us were 1 kilo over the allowance and were charged though!
Old 15-07-2009, 19:16

Sounds like they are all the same then, whichever company happens to be on the desk at the time! Its their scales that are out, so its up to us to make sure we are 2k under everytime to beat them!
Old 15-07-2009, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
We came out with Easyjet last week from Gatwick and they said that they were introducing a new policy from that day. Only one piece of handluggage was to be allowed with no exceptions, Anything over was charged £16 per piece and checked in. Also anything that looked as though it could be oversize was checked in their little frame. Airport shopping didn't seem to count.
This is not new policy, you have only been allowed one piece of hand luggage per person with Easyjet for ages (since the new security laws came in to force). There is no weight restriction as such, just that it must fit in the frame and not be so heavy that it is difficult to put in the overhead locker. I just put my handbag inside my hand luggage bag until I'm through security and it's not a problem .