Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 09:34

Exclamation X L Airways

Booked flights yesterday for XL Airways from Manchester for early October but I heard on the news at 7.30 am UK time that they went into administration early today.

Since then I have been busy sorting out new flights.

Fortunately although I went on the XL website for a price I booked through our Bank' s Travel Service ( RBS Royalties Gold ) so we are covered by ATOL and will get reimbursement (eventually ) - RBS are sending out claim forms.

Meantime I have booked and paid for new flights on Monarch via RBS travel .

If I had booked through the XL.com site or one of their call centres we would not have been covered.

The reason for my post is that it has brought home to me that in the present economic climate it is important to check the ATOL coverage before booking.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 10:10

Hi Kezza66

Thank you for your post which is indeed an important reminder to us all. I heard about XL on the 6.30 news this morning and guessed that some forum members might be affected. I'm glad that you will be able to get your money back - eventually. I have flights booked with another airline for October 2008 and July 2009 and my heart sinks everytime I hear of another travel company going into administration. It's all very depressing.

Hope you have a nice holiday. Thanks again for the advice.

Linda

Last edited by LK1960; 12-09-2008 at 10:12.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:14

Hope you get the money back !

I have started to pay for flights using a credit card now as there is always the chance of claiming back from the credit card company if a company goes bust.
Debit cards there is no chance.

Mark
Old 12-09-2008, 11:54
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear this Kezza, it happened to me years ago. The day after i paid the full amount for my holiday the tour operator went bust, luckily we had booked through Co-op travelcare and they guaranteed to refund our money in 24 hours. It's a sign of the times and i think more will be going under over the winter. As Mark says it is wise to use credit cards to pay. I am flying out in 3 weeks with Fly-Be and was pleased to hear they have posted very healthy profits this year. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:10
Founder

Default Thomson & First Choice to help XL Customers

Thomson & First Choice have announced that they will help XL Customers.

Thomson and First Choice said they would do everything possible to assist passengers on ATOL-protected flights or holidays, whether it be by aiding their repatriation or helping those who are yet to travel in arranging another holiday and claiming a refund.

For more information see Thomson Holidays -

If you are affected, do let us know how you get on.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:23

Hi Mark ,

Thanks- hopefully should be no problem about the refund ( Fingers crossed ) as ATOL cover it but in many years of travel this has never happened before so I have no experience of the ATOL claims system but RBS Travel say the claims form is coming out in today's post.Have dealt with RBS for many years and they have always been excellent.

Our rearranged flights are with Monarch via RBS.

As it happens I booked direct with Monarch last year on line and everything was fine

Very good point which you made about paying for flights by credit card ( as opposed to debit cards ) as I agree that the credit card company should reimburse but it has never happened to us so I don't know how good that claims system is either.

I feel sorry for the Holiday makers stranded abroad by the demise of XL as the planes have been impounded - The lady at RBS travel this morning said they had heard their were 85000 people left flightless .

Regards,
Keith
Old 12-09-2008, 12:32

Hi Sparky,

Thanks for your concern.

C'est la vie these days with the credit crunch affecting everyone.

We seem to be covered touch wood.

Went Manchester to Paris last December with Flybe - They were excellent - Plane bang on time both ways and staff really helpful and friendly.

Would use Flybe again with no hesitation.

We were over in Pollensa in July with the family for a week and on the spur of the moment yesterday decided to go back for another week in 3 weeks time and booked a Villa and flight yesterday.

Cheers,

Keith
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48

Hi LK1960,

Thanks for your interest.

I hope everything goes well for you with the airlines both in October and next year.

Have a good holiday.

We are really looking forward to a relaxing week and some typically Mallorcan food and Vino! - and getting some sunshine - We have often had good weather in October in the past few years so we are hoping for the same again.

Best wishes,

Keith
Old 12-09-2008, 13:45

Hi pollensa,

Thanks for the post which will be most helpful to all those who are affected.

Hopefully ATOL will reimburse us in due course - Will let you know the result.

We were lucky - heard about the demise of XL on the breakfast news and got through to RBS Travel on the dot when they opened at 8.00 am

Fingers crossed that our new flights with Monarch will be OK ( again we are ATOL covered with RBS ) but who would have expected XL being the 3rd largest in the UK to go under.

Cheers,

Keith
Old 13-09-2008, 11:11

Watched a Tonight program last year, that said you may not be covered on insurance for independant travel if scheduled airline failed. We looked into various policies and found that the Post Office cover you for scheduled airline failure, so if something happens to airline before you go they will reinburse you or pay to get you home. I know its more expensive £80 for family per year but this now proves it is worth paying extra.
Hope everyones hols work out okay for them
Old 13-09-2008, 13:20

Going back to Mark's point about paying for flights by credit card rather than debit card because of your rights of claim for a refund against the credit card company if the airline goes bust which is very sound advice I noticed in today's Daily Mail that all might not be lost for some debit card users as they may be covered by a little known chargeback Scheme in the Visa debit card rules according to a spokesman for "Which"

The spokesman said " If you paid by Visa Debit Card you should be able to get your money back by making a chargeback claim to your current account provider.In the case of XL you have 120 days from the date your flight was due to depart to make a claim."

Unfortunately, apparently this only applies to Visa debit cards not Maestro debit cards.
Old 05-02-2009, 23:10

Default X L Flight Refund

At long last we have just got our refund for the flights booked for 4th October 2008 on 11th September the day XL went bust at midnight.
We were ATOL protected / credit card protected having booked with RBS Travel Services but the ATOL procedures were taking so long that RBS Travel decided to refund customers directly.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:33
Super Moderator

Hi Kezza, better late than never i suppose. Glad you got your money back at last.
Old 07-02-2009, 14:33

Thanks Sparky
I am happy with the result and RBS Travel decision to refund rather than wait for ATOL to pay up - don't know how long ATOL would have taken as they had so many claims their website said because of the volume - don't email us & don't phone us as this will slow things down .
Keith