Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca

Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Anything related to flights to & from Palma and airports (UK & PMI).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-2006, 03:14
AJAPP

Default Alternatives to the low cost carriers

Just booked flights for a couple of visits to PP...

1 week at the end of April and the 1st week in july.

Having used low cost carriers for the past 5 years, I was becoming fatigued with the experience of the cattle herding and the mad rush for seats with couples sitting in seats A & C...hoping that this would put off people sitting in B (...a pet hate of mine!!) and the airline running out of food & drink, just as they reach my row!

I ended up booking with Iberia from LHR via BCN. To some, the stop-over is a pain, however, I find it relaxing to use the extra 40 minutes grabbing a coffee before the final 25 minute hop across to PMI. This coupled with proper airline lounges, allocated seats, decent food (and the chance of a free upgrade to business if I am lucky) is a small price to pay for the extra 1 hour journey time.

What swung it was the price...GBP319 for 2 people in July versus GBP414 from one of the no-frills carriers!

Has anyone else had any experience of these indirect flights from "proper" carriers? If so, what are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 27-02-2006, 04:09
pinot g

Have you tried Monarch Airlines a low cost airline with the frills. If you join their frequent flier programme you gain access to a number of extras, if not just the service is far superior to Easyjet and BMI baby. We have just come back from a few days in PP we flew out BMI ( because of the flight time) and came home Monarch, the difference was huge even the girls uniforms !!!! BMI wore a uniform of washed up sweat shirts but the crew on Monarch were immaculate in a beautiful suit, even though you pay for drinks and food you get a menu at the beginning of the light to see whats on offer, there is complimentry tea and coffee with all food orders , comp newpapers and hot towels. They were Superb, give them a go!!
Old 27-02-2006, 05:06
AJAPP

Thanks Pino g

I'll probably be out in PP in May at some point...will include flymonarch.com when I am looking for flights.

Cheers

A
Old 27-02-2006, 05:14

It's a 2 hour flight guys how much food and leg room do you need?..C'mon!!!

Easyjet rules in my book ..6 hours door to door, and touch wood, always on time!
Old 28-02-2006, 01:32

I'm with you Debz. We fly Thomsonfly from Bournemouth. As the airport is only 15 minutes away, I put more value on the time from door to door. We do get allocated seats though, which makes a huge difference.
Old 28-02-2006, 05:45

Agree with Pinot about Monarch .......... have used them for the last few years and have always been excellent, even the snack you can buy is worth eating and good value.

Having said that we are using Jet 2 this year ......... well they were just less than £100 each return in July, so I got all excited at the cheap price and booked them before the monarch fares were on sale.

Rather wishing I had waited as the Monarch ones are only £125 ............ never mind, between the 5 of us the saving will buy a dinner at one of our many favourite haunts
Old 14-03-2006, 03:21

Default Alternatives to the low cost carriers

HI, have used Monarch and Easyjet loads of times although Monarch are more luxurious have always had delays with them but Easyjet always on time. My tip Monarch for anything over 2 and 1/2 hours Easyjet for less than that.

Sally
Old 19-03-2006, 02:04
smg

have used GB Airways / BA for last 3 years...generally very good, & cheaper than easyjet, etc, if you book early, but this year they have been messing around with the flight times, which is a bit of a pain.....
Old 20-03-2006, 05:17
tresspass5

Default alternatives to the low cost airlines

We flew indirectly at christmas,as we didn't have much choice as so many airlines don't do palma this time of year,we were delayed at gatwick,so there was talk of hotel for the night,as all connections were assumed to have been missed,this was with BA and iberia,to palma,when we got to Barcelona,our palma flight had been delayed as well,so we got it,but unfortunately our lugggage stayed in barcelona.Our car hire had assumed we were not coming either and we had to wait for someone to show,we reached PP at about 4.30 in morn,and ended up rushing back to palma at 5.30 next evening to get luggage off flight from Barcelona,we were dreading trip back,but it was ok and got to see delights of Barcelona airport,it was a story to tell when we got back,we have booked with excel airways for sept for two weeks,£155 each including taxes,first choice are pretty good too,i have to say i would never fly indirectly again.
Tresspass5
Old 10-08-2006, 00:13
Beachfun

bmi from london heathrow now have low cost type fares
www.flybmi.com
Old 10-08-2006, 18:48

We flew BMIbaby in Feb from Heathrows to Palma, tuesday to tuesday, and the fares cost £7.50 each way, plus taxes. Bargain or what !