Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Excursions Out & About in Majorca

Excursions Out & About in Majorca Been on any good day trips lately (or in the last few years!)? Tell us all about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-05-2007, 19:43
mark1875

Default Things to do.....

As mentioned elsewhere, my good wummin and I spend a week in PP in Mid away, leaving the kids with their grandparents in Scotland. We generally pottered about the area most days, working up appetites, then walking off long ans often a tad boozy menu del dia lunches!!

Things to do locally include a visit to Alcudia market using the 1.10 euro each way local bus. Its full of cheap tourist tat, coupled with a great food section that is worth a wander around. Surreal as it sounds, my wife recommends the cheap bras that can be purchased there?? After a that pop into the Roman Museum beside the church) to see what ancient Pollentia looked like, remembering to ask for an English guidebook, which is free. The €2 (£1.40) entrance fee per person also includes access to the forum and roman theatre, which is worth visiting, although if its hot wear shoes and take some water as its a bit of a hike.

Another healthy option that builds up the appetite is taking the local bus (yup, 1.10 euro each way again) up to Pollensa. A wander round the town is very rewarding and a walk up the 365 Calvary Steps to the Hermitage at the top is a good bit of exercise rewarded by magnificent views of the bay of Pollensa.

Trips to Inca and Formentor are well kent routes for tourists although Inca market really has become the home for cheap and often nasty clothing, fake football shirts and tat for me. Stumbling on wee delights like churros and chocolate stands and a rake around the stall that sell 'things' for farmers make it worthwhile.

If you hire a car, a trip to Festival Park for bargain shopping and a cinema in English may appeal. Best deal has to be the famous Camper shoes at up to 70% off. Ideal on a dull or wet day, Festival Park is at Marratxi, keep your eyes peeled for the turn off from the motorway, its not clearly marked when coming from PP.

As an old Soller head, a day trip there can be fun especially if you hire a car and go over the mountain route, stopping at the beautiful and very peaceful Lluc Monastery and Gorg Blau, the main Reservoir for the island. Not for poor drivers or passengers. The tourist minded and get a bus to Palma and take the bone shaker train through the mountains to Soller and there is a direct bus to Soller that runs a few times a day. I have spend many holidays in Port De Soller and I have to say its become a shadow of its former self, although a day tip there is still worthwhile for the train ride, spectacular views and wee tram ride from Soller to the Port.

Valldemossa - A lovely wee town in the mountains beyond Soller or behind Palma, best reached by car. Chopin's lady George Sans spend a winter there a couple of centuries ago and wrote a pretty disparaging book about the island which is grossly unfair on this lovely wee town. The Carthusian Monastery and surrounding streets are worth a mornings trip. Try the local Potato Buns (Coca De Patata) with a Cup of Hot Chocolate, Mmmm.

Other trips worth doing are a visit to Es Trenc beach on the south coast of the Island, a shopping trip to Porto Pi, the well kent walks and tours of Palma, if you have kids, Marineland in Palma Nova is very good for younger kids. The shows are fun and the wee kids pool area is safe and the kids will love it.

That is snapshot of some of the many things you can do whilst in PP............... enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Old 27-05-2007, 20:10
Founder

That's great info Mark (& the eating out) - Thanks very much. It's always good to have new reports every season!

Webmaster
Old 27-05-2007, 22:15
mark1875

I have this years taxi costs to hand to, if you point me to where they are I am happy to update to 2007 charges on this wet and windy bank holiday weekend.
Old 28-05-2007, 18:02
Founder

Thank you Mark but I did update these when we were out beginning May - see www.puertopollensa.com/transport-taxis-bus-trains.html#taxis
Old 29-05-2007, 01:45
mark1875

No probs, went out and bought new cases today instead. A wee word of warning, we bought Samsonite cases and each one (even their lightest ones) weigh in at 4 to 5 kilos each (the shop have a special weighing machine). The shell type are often 7 kilos. Keep this in mind when adding up you luggage allowances folks.