Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 19:36

Default Fuel Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
They do have the full/empty fuel policy though - along with most of the other hire car companies it seems.
There seems to be a lot of discussion on the forum recently re the car hire fueling policies. Am I correct in assuming that the hire companies charge you for a full tank of petrol and you bring it back empty?. This means that if you only use half a tank you end up paying for a full tank?. If so this is a rip off!

I hire quite a lot in the UK on business and the normal policy is that you receive the car full and return full. I am using Hertz in May - does anyone know their policy?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 22:09

Dont know of Hertz' fuel policy but am trying to hire a car for 4 days next wkend. Both Record and Crown Aguria charge for a full tank, which is about 60 euro......nearly the same price as hiring the car! Seems ridiculous, can anyone tell me who doesnt adopt this policy?

Thanks, Gemma.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:13

You could try AutosRoig - I think they still operate a Full/Empty policy with no hidden charges e.g. tyre insurance. They are more expensive to start with though.

GG
Old 11-04-2009, 13:09

Its a while since I rented a car but when booking for short periods found even if they adopt a full/empty policy they only charged for fuel used on shorter hires. Just can't remeber if it is 3/4 days. Might be worth emailing them to ask the question.
Old 11-04-2009, 14:12
Founder

The time period for being able to return it full keeps getting lowered. Last time I had an email from Record it was for 3 days or less!
Old 11-04-2009, 16:54

For a short hire maybe you should check the broker "Holiday Autos".

I have not used then for some time and have had supply problems with them years ago, but a recent marketing email link showed quotes which indicated those that allowed Full Full policy. They tended to be dearer than Full Empty quotes initially but you would save on the fuel charge.

My FlickR Photos
Old 11-04-2009, 16:57

Ignore my previous post - autos roig are Full/Full policy - not Full/Empty.

GG
Old 12-04-2009, 13:43

On the subject of fuel policy this Full/empty policy is not very environmentaly friendly to a fragile eco system like Mallorca with all these thousands of tourists bombing around the island trying to use up as much fuel as possible

Surely the green powers that be should be putting pressure on the car hire companies to change their policies

That's my rant over now

GG
Old 12-04-2009, 20:07

Gemma

Record do full/full if hire is four days or less-just back myself after three day stay-had new Nissan Note-no problems

Regards Bodge
Old 12-04-2009, 21:10
Founder

This was on our latest booking with Record (booked 29/03)

Quote:
Fuel Policy:

In order to offer the best service possible at Palma de Mallorca Airport, the vehicle will be provided with a full tank of fuel with the following options:

*For rentals with a duration of 4 or more days, you will be asked to pay for the tank and the car have to be returned as empty as possible.

*For rentals with a duration of less than 4 days, the following options would apply:

.Full-Half: Customer will pay for half a tank of fuel and the vehicle will have to be returned half.

.Full-Empty: Customer will pay for a full tank of fuel and it will have to be returned as empty as possible.

.Full-Full: Customer will have to return the vehicle with a full tank of fuel.
So I think that you now need to pay for the tank for a 4 day stay.
Old 12-04-2009, 21:12

Thanks for your replies.

However, I emailed Record to see if they will allow us to return the car with a full tank but they said no! You have to pay for the full tank and return it empty (although it will still be half full at least!) unless the rental is for 3 days or less.
I wouldnt mind if the charge was 20 euro or so but at over 60 euro I just feel its a rip off. And yes Gommar Goffer, I agree its not very green as it encourages drivers to waste petrol rather than return a car with fuel youve paid through the nose for!

Im getting into a rant I know but it just doesnt seem right!

Gemma
Old 12-04-2009, 23:35

I have mentioned this previously that if you use Holiday Autos, It shows various quotes with an icon to let you know if the fuel policy is Full/Full.

For example a Ford KA is £67 for 4 days from this Sat in Palma Airport OR £74 if you use the quote with the Full/Full policy.

Holiday autos dont always have the cheapest though but it may work out better if the fuel policy suits you.

My FlickR Photos

Last edited by El Gordo; 12-04-2009 at 23:50. Reason: corrected price
Old 13-04-2009, 07:19

Why not try Auto's Estarellas who operate from the airport with cars being picked up from and then left in the car park. We've used them for years and have found them to be very friendly, reliable and convenient with their rep waiting for you as soon as you have collected your baggage - no queues! I'm not sure if they are the cheapest ( probably not ) but the cars are always good quality and more importantly they operate a full/full policy for all durations. Indeed if you are a bit rushed on your return and you do not have the time to fill it up (or like me a bit lazy! ) they will do it for you and just charge the cost of the top-up to your credit card. I have never felt they have overcharged me when dealing with it this way. If anyone wants to contact them their email is info@autosestarellas.com
Old 13-04-2009, 18:29

Default Holiday autos

Hola its GL, thanks for the info on fuel policy with Holiday Autos, really usefrul. If booking through them is there any way of telling what company it will be with and if they are 'on airport' before you comit to paying?
Old 13-04-2009, 18:42
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansclan View Post
Hola its GL, thanks for the info on fuel policy with Holiday Autos, really usefrul. If booking through them is there any way of telling what company it will be with and if they are 'on airport' before you comit to paying?
If you do a search via this link Holiday Autos on the dates that you are interested in, the available cars are listed & some have a 'fuel policy' icon - allowing you to return it 'full' but it doesn't indicate if they are on-site or not. These cars also seem to cost more.