Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roig cat View Post
Not the best way to start a holiday. I wonder if they have increased the excess to put businesses like "insuretheexcess" out of business?
Economy car hire continue to offer car hire without excess, including Centauro, not sure how long this will last.
Sixt have quoted 600 euro excess this year for our hire in April and October whilst last year it was nil.

Our excess with Sixt for May and September is nil ? I hope they will bring yours down to that as it does not seem fair
Sponsored Links
Old 13-03-2015, 10:57

Default Insurance excess

My own personal view is that I'm quite happy to have an excess on hire car insurance (we do have them on our own cars at home) as it encourages people to take reasonable care of the vehicles. I'm often amazed at the way I see some drivers treat the vehicles on holiday!
The result is minor damage all over the cars and sometimes the interiors of new cars are appalling even though companies like Record try their best to clean them up in the limited turn around time they have.
So, as long as I know what the excess is in advance and what it is for then I'm ok with it. I'm not OK with officials at the desk at some companies trying to mislead!
(I have an annual excess protection and Record have always accepted this. Maybe I've got an honest face : )
El Gordo likes this.
Old 13-03-2015, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansclan View Post
My own personal view is that I'm quite happy to have an excess on hire car insurance (we do have them on our own cars at home) as it encourages people to take reasonable care of the vehicles. I'm often amazed at the way I see some drivers treat the vehicles on holiday!
The result is minor damage all over the cars and sometimes the interiors of new cars are appalling even though companies like Record try their best to clean them up in the limited turn around time they have.
So, as long as I know what the excess is in advance and what it is for then I'm ok with it. I'm not OK with officials at the desk at some companies trying to mislead!
(I have an annual excess protection and Record have always accepted this. Maybe I've got an honest face : )
I agree, but dont want the bother of arguing the case for claims for damage to the car that were present before I hired it.

I remember the story fom one forum member a few years ago who had several hundred euros debited from their credit card for repairs for damage that was not even present!!

When asked for invoices...those provided were dated before their rental period!!

I fear that the Hire companies are using scare tactics to force their expensive insurance onto customers!!

What we need is clear "inclusive" pricing. so that genuine comparisons can be made.
pansy potter, Nick and roig cat like this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 13-03-2015, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roig cat View Post
Not the best way to start a holiday. I wonder if they have increased the excess to put businesses like "insuretheexcess" out of business?
Economy car hire continue to offer car hire without excess, including Centauro, not sure how long this will last.
Sixt have quoted 600 euro excess this year for our hire in April and October whilst last year it was nil.

Our excess with Sixt for May and September is nil ? I hope they will bring yours down to that as it does not seem fair

If i get a quote now there is no excess but the price is far more expensive! My March hire is for Sevila, its Semana Santa week and Seville will be very busy. Ill Cancel and re book October/palma if prices fall.
pansy potter likes this.
Old 14-03-2015, 07:40

Thumbs down

It is the same now when hiring in UK Avis just quoted 1,000 GBP excess for damage and another 1,000 GBP for theft excess.The rental price for one day was exorbitant for a Fiat 500 it made Majorcan hire prices look very very attractive !!!
Old 28-07-2015, 16:00

We picked up a car from Goldcar on Saturday. We stood for about half an hour before they closed the desk and told us to go to another desk and we waited about another half an hour! They took £91 for petrol and put 1200 eur on my card but told me they would reserve 3000 euro. I told them no and they said we reserve the right to but I can't see that anywhere in the terms? I was not happy and the girl was saying things like sign for the deposit or no car. I told her not to be so rude. Anyway, in all the arguing I did not ask how I need to return the car. It's not for a while but can anyone here tell me how I do it?! Thanks
Old 28-07-2015, 18:01

Sounds like a typical Goldcar experience!

Do you need to know where to return it, or if it should be returned full of fuel?
Old 29-07-2015, 09:34

Thanks I need to know where to return it please. I think she said that they had charged me for the full tank of fuel and if I returned with some fuel they would refund some money after yet another fee 😞
Old 29-07-2015, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gp1602 View Post
Thanks I need to know where to return it please. I think she said that they had charged me for the full tank of fuel and if I returned with some fuel they would refund some money after yet another fee ��
You need to return the car to where you collected it - So the bottom floor of the multistorey carpark, opposite the terminal.

Follow the signs for Arrivals as you approach from the motorway (Not departures) and that will lead you back to the front of the multistorey.

There are overheads signs showing you which lane to be in to return hire cars and it is also painted on the road surface.

Once you enter the car park, there are signs to the respective car hire company parking areas. (For Goldcar, down into the building and around the far right)

It is a bit of a free-for-all once you are back, as I don't think that Goldcar have spaces specifically for returning vehicles!

If I can make one suggestion - Don't choose Goldcar again. They are a nightmare!
Gp1602 likes this.
Old 29-07-2015, 14:31

A google images with the signs.

https://goo.gl/maps/YJNYx

https://goo.gl/maps/0PlvQ

You probably want the 'Rent a car' car park in the distance in that google image rather than the ' Parking P' which is the public car park that some companies do use such as Autos Roig etc.

Look well ahead at the signs and you will be OK.
Gp1602 likes this.
Old 30-07-2015, 10:10

Thanks everyone for your help and I will listen to the advice and never book Goldcar again! I am dreading what they say when I go back with the car! I had to sign to say it had one scratch but it had two so.... Never mind
Old 13-08-2015, 15:09

Me again!

We are due to leave late tomorrow night and when I take the car back to Goldcar will they inspect it then? I didn't take their full insurance as had an annual one as recommended by someone on here. I am concerned as the car had more damage on it than I was asked to sign for at arrivals. I did video the car, again as suggested by someone on here, but it was very dark and hard to see it. I left a 1200 EUR deposit?

Thanks
Gill
Old 13-08-2015, 17:42

I would strongly advise you to make sure that they do check the car over. I'm sure you'll be OK, but be sure to get something in writing or signed on your rental agreement before you leave.

Most problems arise when people return cars and don't get them checked....they get home and find they have been stung with damage costs that they are not responsible for. So get them to check it and hopefully all will be well.

My fingers are crossed for you....don't let it spoil the last day of your holiday.

When you get home, please let us know how you got on......and next time try Sixt!

Duncan
Old 14-08-2015, 09:48

Thanks Duncan. I will attempt to get them to check it then and hopefully all will be ok. This is the first time we've hired a car and it's been great, I've loved having it, but I will definitely use a different company and as you've suggested Sixt then it's good to go with one that's been recommended.
Just checked the weather back home and it's raining 😞, so I'm
Going to enjoy the lovely weather here today and try not to miss PP too much even though I haven't left yet! Thanks for the help 😊
Old 15-08-2015, 13:56

I dropped the car off last night and when I went to the Goldcar desk they asked me just to leave the keys in a tray and go. I asked could the car be checked over as it was damaged when I picked it up and I wanted them to agree that now. They asked did I have photos so I said yes I had a video and then they agreed to check it over. They gave me a copy of my agreement saying the car was ok and signed it for me. They did not ask to see the video?
I feel much better for having asked them to go and check it so once again thanks for the advice on here.
I am keeping my fingers crossed now that when the deposit finally does get unlocked from my credit card, it will be the whole amount I get back.
The staff at the Goldcar desk in the car park were very good. Shame the staff when you collect it re so heavy handed, as I will not choose them again.
El Gordo likes this.