Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 20:02

Default The good, not so bad and the downright ugly!!

We had a relaxing two weeks in PP in early October – the weather was just perfect – I didn’t need all the woollies I packed – just in case! We ate out every night except the arrival night, having been up since 3.15am! Just a brief review of our eating places as I would only be repeating what I have said before!! We visited our old favourites and a few new ones and the food varied from the sublime to the absolutely disgusting! So here goes – the oldies first:

Citrus

We had 2 visits to Citrus and had delicious food and warm welcomes each time! The standard is just as high as it ever was. Kenny does a Citrus salad that is just the best starter salad I have had anywhere – not overburdened with ingredients but just perfect as a starter. I wont go into all the details of each meal but we had Chicken Chassuer, Mediterranean Linguine, and all the trimmings etc on one visit and my OH is still raving about the lamb shoulder he had on our next visit, when I had the best steak and chips etc. All these were followed by a massive Cuantro or Tia Maria and the most expensive meal was 44euros. Incidentally, while we were there one evening, a couple were just leaving and they said to Maureen, ‘We have been coming to PP for 26 years and that is the best meal we have ever had !’ Speaks for itself doesn’t it.

Overall 5*

Trio

Trio is just so predictable – but in a good way! You know exactly what to expect and it never disappoints. Lovely warm bread/alioli, melt in the mouth beef medallions, and soft pork, delicious desserts, wine water coffee and all for 36 euros.

Overall 5*

Bellavista

We had 2 visits here as well – we just love the laid back casual atmosphere and the eccentric standard lamp in the middle of the courtyard! No dogs or logs you will be pleased to know – just the best tempura and samosas, cannelloni and an exquisite risotto! All for 39euros with glass wine, water etc.

Overall

5*

Trencadora

We were undecided whether to book here or at Stay for our anniversary special meal, but I was persuaded and not disappointed. Booked a table under the pergola outside. Lovely meal of Mussels for him (excellent) I had bruschetta and the Pork Marsala and he had Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino – all delicious, and 39 euros inc glass wine, water coffee etc. And Rafa was in attendance along with Andre now (Agassi of course).

Overall

5*

La Piazza

Also 2 visits – I had MDD first go inc Focaccia with tomatoes, Pasta Alfredo and crème caramel and OH had the Pizza – with glass wine, water and coffee 31euros – and all delicious food I had pizza the second time but can’t remember the rest but it was good!

Overall

5*

Now to the newbies:

Miguelon

Big disappointment here. I had read a couple of good reports on this one so we were looking forward to going. The MDD on the board at 12.5euros looked to have what we were looking for – Mallorcan cod, and peppered pork, so we sat down. We ordered drinks and lovely warm bread, and then he came to take the order. We said we would like the MDD, but he said that if we chose the more expensive MDD at 16euros, the portions would be better, and the cod and pork would be better quality. It was only our second evening so we were probably a bit ‘slow’ so we were talked into it. Well, the tempura was a big pile of dark greasy battered veg which I could not finish – they could do with some tempura lessons from Citrus and Bellavista. Quite a few of OH’s mussels were closed and they were nowhere near as good as Trencadora. I did not get what I ordered, it was a Pork brochette, but I though that maybe that is how they do their peppered pork , but no, it was not good. However, the cod was excellent! The bill was 36 euros and we didn’t go back. If we ever did go back, we would stick to our guns! Once bitten etc.

Overall

3* - the bread was nice – and the cod.

Sparrow

This was about 5 minutes walk from our apartment so we thought we’d try it one evening. We sat in the nice little courtyard at the back and very taciturn Scottish waiter showed us to our table. We asked If we could have some bread and alioli, which he brought – the alioli was in a packet and there were 4 little pieces of nearly stale bread. We asked for a couple of plates – well OH went into the bar to get them. The food was quite good – Calamares, Chicken Chasseur and Peppered Chicken. With water, glass wine and coffee 26 euros. By the end of the meal I started feeling sorry for the waiter as he did seem a bit depressed and maybe that’s why he just muttered ‘nae worries’ each time we said thank you.

Overall

3*

Ikebana

This was also near our apartment so we went there one evening. Chose the 15euro MDD – nice bread alioli, lovely prawn salad, pate. I had a plain grilled chicken breast which was excellent and OH had the grilled Sea Bass which was also excellent. Profiteroles for me and Ice Cream for him. With water, glass wine and coffee – 36euros – excellent value.

Overall

5*

Golden Lion

As we felt lazy again and didn’t really feel like a bit 3 course meal, we walked round and a friendly waiter showed us to our table. We didn’t bother with starters – so I had the Pork Chops and he had a Prawn Omelette. When the food arrived, we were amazed – two massive pork chops, salad, chips etc, and an enormous omelette. All beautifully cooked and delicious! And a nice friendly atmosphere – we will definitely go there again if we are staying in that area – great value at 26 euros with the usual glass of wine, water and coffee.

Overall
5* for value alone!

Tiberi

So we were trying to decide where to go on the last night and suddenly spotted the MDD outside this place which included Lomo Con Col (which I hadn’t yet had all the holidaydespite asking at El Ancla)) and Mallorcan Cod , which OH loves. So we sat down and were given the menu and ordered a drink. Then, nothing, so we asked a waiter if we could have some bread and alioli – which eventually arrived and plonked on the table. The prawn salad was nice but his soup was tasteless. So we waited another 20 minutes and then the main courses were put on the table. What a mess! The ‘lomo’ was a miniscule piece of reheated pork (at least that’s what it tasted like), I think I spotted a piece of limp cabbage and a few pine nuts drowning in the tomato sauce. This was accompanied by a pile of greasy, broken thin chips – totally inedible. His Mallorcan cod pretty tasteless and the potatoes were just a watery slop.
So at least I had a dessert to look forward to (well I was trying to be optimistic). They eventually brought the dessert menu, but the waiter said in a loud voice, ‘oh you can’t see the menu as you had the MDD’ – your dessert is – and I just caught the word chocolate, which was good enough for me! OH didn’t want a dessert – just coffee. So after another 15 minutes, no dessert so I had to sort of gesticulate to a waiter and was then presented with a kind of chocolate mousse – which I tried but could not eat – and I can eat anything with chocolate in!! We got the bill – 39 euros and expected the coffee to be free as it usually is if he doesn’t have a pud – but no, it was charged for. We always say we seem to have one rip-off meal, but it’s a shame it was the last night when we could have been in one of the other excellent restaurants.

Overall
1* - well the prawn cocktail was nice.

So thats it really, you can't win em all and hopefully we will learn by our mistakes and put it down to experience
Sponsored Links
Old 20-10-2011, 20:16
Super Moderator

Thank you Rosie for a very good trip report, it was great to see The Golden Lion and Ikebana are still serving good value food.
Old 21-10-2011, 08:06

Thank you Rosie for what is a very clear & concise nutritional report.
Old 21-10-2011, 09:50

Have to agree about Tiberi, we had an equally bad experience in the past and will never return.
Old 21-10-2011, 10:36

I agree about Tiberi.....I also had the same experience in the summer with the Lomo con Col...a comlpletely inedible piece of meat in what tasted like a tin of tomato soup..never again

Eating Out
Old 21-10-2011, 14:43

Default Citrus

It was my wife that complimented Maureen at Citrus that night and she meant every word.We had a lovely meal and will be back next year
Old 21-10-2011, 15:49

Great reviews Rosie34 ... enjoyed reading that ... your almost tempting me away from my beloved Pollenca Town
Old 05-11-2011, 22:41

Great reading and nice to see a few different restaurants mentioned - a selection of everyday restaurants which is nice to see instead of always Stay, La Llonja and O Lume. Thank you for your report and glad that most of your meals were spot on.