Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-11-2010, 11:13
Super Moderator

Default Bars Closing Down

Unfortuneately the recession has claimed 2 victims this weekend with the closure of "The Nags Head" and "Trotters". They both tried desperately to keep going but after a poor summer and very few customers since September it is just impossible to remain open. Their rents were high and their landlords refused to give them a reduction, which would have given them a fighting chance, so Angie, Keith and Roy were left with no option but to close.
Naturally they are very sad to have to give up their bars but are very grateful to the people who have supported them.
Old 29-11-2010, 11:20

Thats very sad news Sparky, and I fear not the last, you have to feel sorry for people who have put everything into trying to make a success of a business, I hope they manage to carry on in some other way over there.

On island time!!
Old 29-11-2010, 12:52

This is indeed sad news and I reluctantly agree with sws. It will be so sad to see such hard work not work out. I suppose many other types of business will be knocked too. The situation will challenge many a business.
Old 29-11-2010, 13:13

I just don't understand the landlords on this one. They have now got an empty bar, and no rent coming in. It will lie empty till they get new tenants then they will have legal costs and fees. They could cut the bars some slack and everybody benefits.

Adios

Dave
Old 29-11-2010, 13:23
Super Moderator

Exactly Dave, Trotters is a very small bar and the rent is an incredible 1200€ a month and i think the Nags was about the same . Surely it would be better to have some money coming instead of none.
Old 29-11-2010, 16:27
Banned

Totally agree. They cannot be proper businessmen surely......it just does not make sense?

The only thing I can assume is that some Mallorcans are so loaded with owning so much property that they simply don't care?

Both those bars are not much bigger than some living rooms so rent of 1200 euros a month is just ludicrous in anyones estimations.

You have to feel sorry for people that want to make a go of a business abroad and there is nothing worse than seeing closed up business premises.
Old 29-11-2010, 18:48

You have hit the nail there Nick, It is very sad to see this happening, it also applys to the absolute glut of properties on the market in PP with expensive tags & owners refusing to budge, cutting ones own throat comes to mind.
Old 29-11-2010, 19:53

Sorry it's not only in PP our high street is full of empty shops except for charity shops.
Its world wide alas I have to say, and yet more to come.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:32

Not good news at all.

Due to the type of bars they were I doubt there will be many tears shed on here for either but I think PP will be worse off without both bars. With these gone along with love juice it seems that there isnt much of a call for "English pubs" in PP. I still enjoy the odd pint watching footy when on holiday and I only hope that Fletchers and JK's can survive and prosper.
Old 30-11-2010, 10:08

Default Bars closing

If the same leases apply in PP that tenants have in the UK then you will probably find that the bar owners are still having to pay rent to landlords even if they have closed their business untill the lease expires.

Unless they do a "runner" as often happens they are liable to keep paying but reduce their overall losses by saving probably on rates,staffing, insurance,cleaning etc and at the same time trying to sell the lease on.

Some landlords will take a lump sum from the tennant to release them early which would often be about 65% of the rent due for the unexpired part of the lease then try to find a new tenant and if successfull they will be getting double rent for some of the time.

The Senor
Old 30-11-2010, 11:16
Super Moderator

Senor i think it works differently here, it seems that they just give the keys back and walk away.

Rab it is not just the "British" bars, Spanish owned bars are also struggling and some had already closed before the end of the season.
Old 30-11-2010, 14:14

Default Bars Closing

Hi Sparky!

Thanks for the info, very sad, especialy as the owners obviously tried so hard to keep going.

Unfortunately i doubt if it's going to get better any time soon, as the DB confirmed recently there are no flights from Scotland this Winter, the first time since i have been coming over in the last 25 years. OK we don't arrive in droves at that time of the year, but probaby contribute around £500 to the local economy, eating out, shopping etc, multiply that by the people who would normally come over and it soon mounts up. Money lost which will go elsewhere! I'm afraid i have no incline to drive to airports down South at this time of year for a weeks holiday. One look out my window just now confirms that.

I broke my holiday pattern recently and went to the Canaries, great weather, cheaper prices and plentiful flights. It appeals to me and i would go again. I prefer Mallorca but what can people do if they can't get there?
Old 30-11-2010, 21:34

never ventured into either of them as tbh the names of them put me off for a start, not a fan of "theme" bars english, scottish, irish, aussie or whatever!

fully agree with the previous post regarding the lack of flights again this winter from scotland. this is the second year we have had to fly out of season from an airport in the north of england. not looking forward to the drive south again if this weather keeps up. last year was the same type of weather we are having now and a 3 hour or so drive turned into nearly 7
Old 30-11-2010, 21:57

Trotters was a fairly regular venue for me and my son.....always watched the F1 Grand Prix there and enjoyed the freshly made baguettes. Been to watch football too.

There was something "quirky" about the Trotter Connection.....no, I'm really not keen on "Brit themes abroad" but Roy was a character. First time I went I asked for a small beer. "You on 'oliday?" he asked. "Yes" I replied. "You'll be 'avin a pint then" he said.

Touch of the East End.....will be missed by some.

Duncan
Old 30-11-2010, 23:40

Only went in Trotters once when I had a really hungry 3 year old many years ago and they conveniently made her a cheese and ham toastie ........ nice people but somehow didn;t get the urge to revisit.

Never been in The Nags Head and actually can't even think where it is, but if I remember correctly it has been open for many years so even though it can't be that prominent or surely I would have noticed it on my many many visits , it must have developed a loyal following over the years to stay open so long ...... I wonder what has changed ..... perhaps it is as suggested that people just can't get to PP anymore out of high season due to the flight situation.

......... we had decided to come over for St Antoni ........ could only spare a couple of days off work so were pleased it fell on Sunday and Monday ....... perfect fly out on saturday ; fly home on Tuesday ....... no chance as there are no flights from Majorca to the north of England ( or even the midlands ) on a Tuesday or Wednesday ....... lets face it, if 4 of us had come for 4 days we would probably have spent around 1,000Euros by the time you consider food; drink; perfume; shoes and handbags ........ it won't happen now all because of there being no flights, we just don't have enough days holiday left to take 4 or 5 days off ( our holiday years run from April to April )

On the other hand , the increase in of low cost airlines flying to Palma is pretty recent ...... so how did people get to PP out of season in the old days when you flew British Airways from London or via charter ........ and how did the bars and restaurants survive in the winter months pre low cost airlines ......... because some of the places that are closing pre date the advent of low cost airlines ....... did they get more local business or did they get visitors from elsewhere in Europe?