Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 00:12

Default bars closing

what a shame always sorry to hear of any business that has had to close, even if it wasn't my cup of tea, [or pint of beer] the places in question would have been a favourite of others, and where will they go now....I do wonder at the logic of landlords, I have no business accumen myself but even I can see the point of having some revenue coming in, its only got to be good for the local economy and it also makes for a more vibrant atmosphere...no one wants to see empty shops/bars...makes a place feel a little sad somehow.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08

Default Bars Closing

CD, Before the low cost carriers, the likes of Thomson, First Choice ran Winter flights there was never any problem getting one and they always seemed to be full. We can only hope that whenever we get out of the financial turmoil some services will be re-introduced. Would it be to much to expect the Balearic Tourist Board to help out, or am i just being silly? Yes? Oh well, where did i put that Canaries brochure again.
Old 01-12-2010, 16:40

Although it was on the cards, I feel so sorry for Keith and Angie,(Nags Head) They tried and worked so hard and were so helpful. It may have been a "British Bar" but it was warm and comfortable and homely. The Landlords being short sited and as mentioned the lack of flights (No Flights from the midlands) have all contributed to the demise. What with shops and other bars/restaurants closing it could be a dismall 2011..
Old 01-12-2010, 16:52

CD - I think one of the major problems is that there are just far more bars in PP than there used to be and fewer visitors to sustain them.

Before the cheap flight era there were probably half the number of bars and restaurants that there are now - fine when the port was heaving a few years ago, but now there are just not enough customers to go round.

Greedy landlords don't help though
Old 01-12-2010, 19:07

Is it the case that holidaymakers to PP arent really looking to drink in British bars? Anytime Im in a british bar in PP it seems to be mostly ex-pats, certainly there few and far between Mallorcans in them.

Where are ESRA holding their Sunday lunches just now? What British bars are left?

JK's
Fletchers
Hideaway??
Rosa Blanca??
Old 01-12-2010, 20:13
Super Moderator

Rab as i said a few posts back, it is not just British places that are affected by this, some Spanish/Mallorcan establishments have closed as well. I was told this afternoon by a Spaniard that two more "local" bars have gone to the wall and another one will be closed soon.
Old 01-12-2010, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Rab as i said a few posts back, it is not just British places that are affected by this, some Spanish/Mallorcan establishments have closed as well. I was told this afternoon by a Spaniard that two more "local" bars have gone to the wall and another one will be closed soon.
Hi Sparky, yeah I did pick up on your point but the point Im trying to make is what effect the downturn is having on the rest of the "british" bars. Is there a future for JK's/Fletchers et al or have British bars in PP had their day? Is this down to the recesion or the lack of winter flights or the wishes of the average PP holidaymaker now?
Old 01-12-2010, 20:36
Super Moderator

I have spoken to many Mallorcan, Spanish and British bar/restaurant owners over the course of this year and they all blame the exchange rate, the volcanic ash cloud, the recession, the high rents and the lack of flights.
Old 01-12-2010, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
CD, Before the low cost carriers, the likes of Thomson, First Choice ran Winter flights there was never any problem getting one and they always seemed to be full. We can only hope that whenever we get out of the financial turmoil some services will be re-introduced. Would it be to much to expect the Balearic Tourist Board to help out, or am i just being silly? Yes? Oh well, where did i put that Canaries brochure again.
i'm sure you will remember also not so many years back either there was a choice of a few others also from scottish airports out of season smiddy, air hispania, spanair, globespan, scot airways to name a few

even now with the advent of so called cheap airlines easyjet have now stopped flying from both gla or edn after october

ryanair flights from prestwick in winter are a joke!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1873 View Post

ryanair flights from prestwick in winter are a joke!

Spare a thought for Michael O'Leary, Chief Executive of 'Ryanair'.

Arriving in a hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of draught Guinness.

The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Euro please, Mr. O'Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's a very competitive price," and handed over his money.

"Will you be wanting a glass with that Mr. O'Leary ?" enquired the barman..........
Old 02-12-2010, 13:03
Super Moderator

Two more have now gone, Cafeteria del Cafe and El Meson.
Old 02-12-2010, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Two more have now gone, Cafeteria del Cafe and El Meson.
Not good at all. El Meson is up beside Eroski and although I have passed it many times i have never ventured in. They always had a very keenly priced MDD and looked as though it catered for locals.

Cafeteria del cafe??? Dont know it.
Old 02-12-2010, 21:04

We often used Cafeteria del Cafe (If its the one I am thinking ) in January and April ..It always very cheap there...but always empty.Shame if it is closed

Eating Out
Old 02-12-2010, 21:18
Super Moderator

The bar is in Roger de Flor on the corner just down from El Posito, it was very much a "locals" place especially in the mornings and early evenings.
Old 02-12-2010, 22:00

Is el meson the little place on the corner of the block that sol is on just near the garage if so it did a great cafe con leche and was very reasonable, what a shame

Or is ot the one across the road near the petrol station?

Last edited by its cd; 03-12-2010 at 00:47.