Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 17:04

Default Bar El Barco

Gina,

Am I right in remembering El Barco as being owned by Christopher in the mid 70's?

PP76
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2010, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP76 View Post
Gina,

Am I right in remembering El Barco as being owned by Christopher in the mid 70's?

PP76
That is correct PP76. I purchased El Barco from Christopher (or Tofol as he was known) He was originally in partnership with Martine who later went on to open Neptuno around 1972 and I bought El Barco a couple of years later. Happy Days!
Old 04-10-2010, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab View Post
Nice wee read guys lets hope that all works out OK.

Gina, where would Bar El Barco have been?
Hi Rab

El Barco was on Juan XX111 (bottom end). It is now a perfume shop (I believe). We used to be sandwiched between the butchers shop and Jaime Bauza's Estate Agent. The Interflora Florists, run by an American lady called Diana (sadly no longer with us) was directly across the road, as was Gabriel Colom's butchers shop, then next to that was Supermarket Mir (Fortnum & Masons as we called it).

Did you know PP in those days Rab?
Old 04-10-2010, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina39uk View Post
Hi Rab

El Barco was on Juan XX111 (bottom end). It is now a perfume shop (I believe). We used to be sandwiched between the butchers shop and Jaime Bauza's Estate Agent. The Interflora Florists, run by an American lady called Diana (sadly no longer with us) was directly across the road, as was Gabriel Colom's butchers shop, then next to that was Supermarket Mir (Fortnum & Masons as we called it).

Did you know PP in those days Rab?
I didnt Gina. How was business in the 70's? What kind of clientelle did you cater for? Was PP a bustling place back then?

I am genuinely interested. I loved the thread that had the old photos in it.
Old 05-10-2010, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab View Post
I didnt Gina. How was business in the 70's? What kind of clientelle did you cater for? Was PP a bustling place back then?

I am genuinely interested. I loved the thread that had the old photos in it.
Hi Rab

I'm going to post my response to this under the Bar El Barco thread before we get told off for going off the subject See you over there!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:09

Default In Answer to Rab's question.....

(Quote:-Originally Posted by Rab

I am genuinely interested. I loved the thread that had the old photos in it.)

Puerto Pollensa when I arrived in the late 60's was still very much a laid back fishing village. The young girls were not allowed to go out with the boys unless accompanied by a chaperone (usually their mother or aunt). All the widows constantly wore black. The girls used to grow their hair very long and then they would cut it after they were married.

The Guardia Civil were very much a presence everywhere and the youngsters were not allowed to hang around in groups on the street corners for more than a few minutes before they were moved on. But it was a very safe place to live and a wonderful place for a child to grow up. Children in those days stayed as children far longer than they do in the UK. My son had a fabulous childhood in Puerto Pollensa and that unspoilt 'grounding' made him the man he is today. We never used to lock our cars or our house doors. For all the freedom the children had though there was always great respect for their elders.

When I first took over El Barco in the early 70's it wasn't easy. I was the first woman to open a Bar (and a foreigner to boot). The locals were very old fashioned in their beliefs that the womans place was in the home. The local women took a long time to accept me but in the end they did and I still have many, many good friends amongst the Mallorcians now.

The Guardia Civil were constantly in and out checking permissions, making sure we closed on time etc., but gradually that stopped and they became less intrusive and eventually good friends. In 1975 when Franco died things changed dramatically (some of the older Mallorcians still say not always for the best).

Tourism in those days was also very different. Business was very good indeed. The seasons were much longer starting in March through to November and most businesses stayed open all year round. Of course there were far less bars and restaurants in those days also and our clientelle were an equal mix of locals and tourists.

In those days there were far less boats and yachts moored in the harbour and only 2 main jetties. A lot of the boats were looked after by young men/boys whilst the owners were away and they lived on the boats. Many a night during the winter El Barco stayed open all night whilst the boys took it in turns to come for hot food and drinks.

There were far less ex-pats living there than there are now and very few businesses which were run by foreigners.
In fact other than myself there was only The Bull's Head, Chequered Flag(now White Rose), Paul's Bar, The Beehive (for a short time before it closed), The Montelin (Swedish), El Cano (German), C'An Pacienci of course. The Supermarket at Gommar (English) and a Car Hire (English). There was also a Property Management Office in Gommar and Pat Daly's office - he started the 1st cheap flight service from Luton once a week as well as being responsible for building/selling most of the Apts on Gommar. Oh - I almost forgot Dick's Bar which was next door to the Golden Lion and run by quite an elderly couple called Dick & Lil (real characters). The Bar was later bought by Geoff Thomas (who now owns the Codfather)and was called Gatsbys (now owned by a lovely Scottish man called David and his mum & dad who ran it for many years.

On the whole the foreign residents living there in those times were quite wealthy and had lots of money to spend. Many famous people used to come to PP and Formentor in those days and we had some wonderful times. Everyone knew everyone, locals and foreigners alike and we all helped each other.

Having spent most of my adult life in PP I can't help but feel saddened by the changes over the years which in a lot of cases have not been for the better.
However, one thing that progress can never change and that is the fantastic views of the Bay of Pollensa and the Tramuntana Mountains and that's what will keep me returning time and time again as long as I am able.

I have so many stories to tell but you'll have to wait until 'the Book' comes out

Last edited by gina39uk; 05-10-2010 at 11:23. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-10-2010, 09:30

What an interesting post,Thankyou Gina for that wonderfull insight.
What are the worst things about todays PP in your opinion?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:40

A brilliant "tease" Gina! If not a book, then at least a pamphlet please!!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:48
Super Moderator

I have been fortunate enough to have heard some of Gina's great tales over a glass or two of vino .
Old 05-10-2010, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberland8 View Post
What an interesting post,Thankyou Gina for that wonderfull insight.
What are the worst things about todays PP in your opinion?
OOH! cumberland8 that's not an easy one to answer. As with all progressions some things change for the better, some for the worse. I think the thing that makes me the saddest is to see what was once a thriving, upmarket resort experiencing such bad times ecconomically.
I know this is happening all over the world but can't help feeling that if there had been more control on the number of licenses issued for new businesses and buildings the Port would not be in the situation it is in today.
There are too many businesses of the same type fighting for (unfortunately) less numbers of visitors to use their services so inevitably and sadly we are going to see yet again many bars and restaurants closing their doors at the end of the month. I fear that only the very well established ones will survive, mainly the ones who own their properties and don't have to pay the extremely high rents (which don't ever seem to come down!).

Having said all that I would (and do) still encourage anyone who has never been to Puerto Pollensa before to make that trip asap. It is still arguably the nicest place on Mallorca both for holidays or permanent living and I am sure will continue to be so. I for one will continue to visit my '2nd home' for as long as I have breathe in me!

Sparky - line up those vinos - I'll be back sooner than you think!

Last edited by gina39uk; 05-10-2010 at 10:26. Reason: Additional text
Old 05-10-2010, 11:07

Gina - my father bought our apartment in Gommar from Pat Daly (actually he went bust, I seem to remember, and his partner - a dutchman named Yapp Van Beek took over the developement)

I was wondering if you can remember the name of the gentleman who had the White Rose (then the Chequered Flag - he was a big motor racing fan and had loads of memorabilia in the bar) before Geoff Thomas - was he another Geoff?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
Gina - my father bought our apartment in Gommar from Pat Daly (actually he went bust, I seem to remember, and his partner - a dutchman named Yapp Van Beek took over the developement)

I was wondering if you can remember the name of the gentleman who had the White Rose (then the Chequered Flag - he was a big motor racing fan and had loads of memorabilia in the bar) before Geoff Thomas - was he another Geoff?
Hi Gommar Goffer - You are correct about Pat Daly & Yap though Pat always recovered from his problems and went on to do many good things. Sadly neither he nor Yap are no longer with us.

The name of the owner of the Flag in those days was Geoff Basden. I believe he and his family moved to Ibiza but I have no recent news of them.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:43

Thanks Gina - always nice to fill in the gaps.
Old 05-10-2010, 15:34

Thank you Gina a very interesting post, loved reading about how life used to be in Puerto Pollensa, more please
Old 05-10-2010, 15:53
Banned

Fascinating !!

Nice to read.