Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Nostalgia (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/5930-nostalgia.html)

favie 20-08-2010 19:04

Ah! Sauchiehall Street.....you have made me feel all homesick BL:(

I have been in both ....the former by sheer chance, one early evening (did post about it awhile back) I enjoyed it ....it suited my needs on that particular occasion!!
Now Nostalgia....is definitely something else, a very wecolming addition to PP that I can't wait to return to.:)

Smiddy 21-08-2010 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonysLad (Post 48871)
Or even Sauchiehall Street, eh Jimmy ???

BonysLad :D:D

Very impressive BL! Not many of your countrymen would be able to spell "Sauchiehall":) Not a easy one:) Sawkeehall!

BonysLad 21-08-2010 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiddy (Post 48902)
Very impressive BL! Not many of your countrymen would be able to spell "Sauchiehall":) Not a easy one:) Sawkeehall!

Agree mate , but I had a good edukashun !!!!!

See ya soon, BonysLad :):)

Rab 22-08-2010 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by its cd (Post 48804)
Hi Rab ...... I don't really know what the blatently obvious is ..... but that may be me missing the blatently obvious lol:)

This however is an interesting question and I guess it is down to personal taste ..... I have never been attracted to the Pub Imperial ...... don't know why .... it has just never tempted me , I guess it gives me the impression of being a touch brash ( I am not saying it is brash ..... I am merely stating the impression it gives me ) .................. as for Nostalgia .............. I wasn't sure what I would make of it ... so I went and had a look ...... from the outside it was quite low key, that attracted me ............... inside it was fairly quiet ( earlyish ) and I liked the decor ...... quite understated with nice black and white pictures and lovelly little fairylights around the bar............... it was to my taste ..... just like I guess the Imperial is to other's taste. SO I stayed and the atmosphere got livelier and I had a great time ...... as my earlier post confirmed.

I guess people will always make snap judgements about places based often on first impressions, like on so many occasions in life, first impressions get you through the door ............ nostalgia did it for me and the Bar imperial didn't.

I don't think there is anything massively different about the 2 places, they are both businesses being run by people wanting to entertain their guests ..... and each will be frequented by the people who like the look of them .... some will only like one or the other and some will like both ..... c'est la vie or should I say c' es la vida ( excuse poor spanish if incorrect )

Fair shout CD! The blatatantly obvios part of my post was in reference to location etc.

For what its worth I think that with a family Pub imperial is a better shout than Nostalgia with the beach being just over the road where the kids can play safely whilst being watched at the same time. We have been in nostalgia once and felt quite out of place, with the ex-pat clique being very prominent. Sorry but thats the way it seemed! I am surprised that it is such a hit with regular posters who want to retain the Spanish feel to PP. A wee bit Blackpooly for my liking but hey as you say we should celebrate the difference!!

sws97sdg 22-08-2010 12:05

To be honest Rab, I dont think there is as much difference as you are making out, we walked passed Bar Imperial on the way back to El Pinaret most nights, it didn't seem any more Spanish, it was full of the same holiday makers laughing, singing and dancing just like in Nostalgia, people just wanting to relax and let their hair down not worrying whether it was more or less Spanish, after all thats what holidays are for. One difference is that in Nostalgia they have spent a lot of money on soundproofing so must of the noise is contained inside, at Bar Imperial it was quite noisy out side on the road, which must annoy some of the sea front apartments.

debz1 22-08-2010 18:54

To me the most obvious difference between Nostalgia and Pub Imperial is the decor!! Nostalgia has spent time, money and effort in making it a welcoming and fun place to go whereas in IMO Pub Imperial really does seem the sort of place you would find in Blackpool. Walking home late you have to step into the road to get by the people who have spilled out onto the pavement and, as sws, says the noise emulating from the place must drive people who own property or those staying closeby up the wall :eek:

Both places are obviously full of holidaymakers and ex pats having fun .. but in Nostalgia you also get locals as well so it must be doing something right;)

i know which one I would prefer to go to!

snowy2007 22-08-2010 23:36

Debz is it Bony's??

debz1 23-08-2010 09:35

Ummmm.....NO!!!!! :eek:

BonysLad 23-08-2010 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by debz1 (Post 48930)
To me the most obvious difference between Nostalgia and Pub Imperial is the decor!!

Blimey Debs,

Didn't realise you were that much in focus !!!!

BonysLad :D:D

willywonka 23-08-2010 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by debz1 (Post 48930)
To me the most obvious difference between Nostalgia and Pub Imperial is the decor!! Nostalgia has spent time, money and effort in making it a welcoming and fun place to go whereas in IMO Pub Imperial really does seem the sort of place you would find in Blackpool. Walking home late you have to step into the road to get by the people who have spilled out onto the pavement and, as sws, says the noise emulating from the place must drive people who own property or those staying closeby up the wall :eek:

Both places are obviously full of holidaymakers and ex pats having fun .. but in Nostalgia you also get locals as well so it must be doing something right;)

i know which one I would prefer to go to!

Having been to pp on holiday for a number of years i would say that neither bar is what most people who come back year after year consider in keeping with the resort but that can be said about a number of establishments that have appeared in recent years. They would sit quite comfortably in Blackpool and many other British seaside towns that appeal to those who after a few drinks think they are Sinatra or Madonna, 99% of them are most definitley not. but would you rather the units stand empty? a hard choice I know. I must admit to visiting both bars strictly for research I hasten to add and the only real differences between the 2 is that Imperial is frequented mainly by holidaymakers and Nostalgia ex pats also the guy in Imperial is a far better dancer and entertainer than his counterpart in Nostalgia

Sparky 23-08-2010 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by willywonka (Post 48957)
Having been to pp on holiday for a number of years i would say that neither bar is what most people who come back year after year consider in keeping with the resort but that can be said about a number of establishments that have appeared in recent years. They would sit quite comfortably in Blackpool and many other British seaside towns that appeal to those who after a few drinks think they are Sinatra or Madonna, 99% of them are most definitley not. but would you rather the units stand empty? a hard choice I know. I must admit to visiting both bars strictly for research I hasten to add and the only real differences between the 2 is that Imperial is frequented mainly by holidaymakers and Nostalgia ex pats also the guy in Imperial is a far better dancer and entertainer than his counterpart in Nostalgia

I can't comment on Pub Imperial because i have not been in there for years but to say Nostalgia is frequented mainly by ex pats is just not true. In the year that it has been open i have met holidaymakers from America, Australia, Canada, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Mainland Spain and all over the UK. Yes ex pats use it as do many locals and what really makes the place buzz is that someone from every nationality likes to get up and sing and everyone gets a round of applause whether they are good or awful. I suppose it proves the saying that music is the international language and long may it continue. :D

Rab 23-08-2010 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by sws97sdg (Post 48926)
To be honest Rab, I dont think there is as much difference as you are making out, we walked passed Bar Imperial on the way back to El Pinaret most nights, it didn't seem any more Spanish, it was full of the same holiday makers laughing, singing and dancing just like in Nostalgia, people just wanting to relax and let their hair down not worrying whether it was more or less Spanish, after all thats what holidays are for. One difference is that in Nostalgia they have spent a lot of money on soundproofing so must of the noise is contained inside, at Bar Imperial it was quite noisy out side on the road, which must annoy some of the sea front apartments.

I dont think there is much difference between the two establishments either but for some reason Pub Imperial gets a bad rep on here whereas Nostalgia seems to be the flavour of the month.

Strange.

Smiddy 24-08-2010 13:04

Like myself, most of the visitors to PP are perfectly happy to sit at the waters edge, glass of vino in hand, waves gently lapping our feet, having quite conversation. But, surely everyone likes to let their hair down now and then, you would not be human if you did not! IMO Nostalgia fills this void perfectly, nothing wrong with a bit of music and good company. If you don't fancy it, as Dionne Warwick would say, "Walk on By".

kate1 24-08-2010 13:48

I don't think Nostalgia would sit at all comfortably in Blackpool - I think Colin would be horrified if you said such a thing to his face! It isn't just a karaoke bar, it's a 'proper' bar and restaurant in its own right, and on the occasions when I've been there the clientele has been, as Sparky says, a good mixture of ex-pats, holidaymakers and Mallorcans. Have never been to Pub Imperial so I can't comment but personally, while in Mallorca - or anywhere for that matter - I would not go to a place with the word 'Pub' in the title. It does give a certain impression, which may or may not be accurate in this case.

Gommar Goffer 24-08-2010 16:04

Just to add some historical background - Pub Imperial has been at it's current location certainly since the mid 70s - if not before. It was originaly opened I believe by a brit when the first brit bars were opening up back then, hence the pub title which, as we all know, was all the rage and the name has stuck ever since.

It was, back then about ther only late bar apart from the discos and was very popular especially with the waiters after they had finished work.

I have not been in for years but have to say that it does look as if it could do with a refurb!