Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-04-2010, 12:28

Default It's a longy

We were out after Easter for a week and it was the first time I had got back to PP for a year and I was really looking forward to trying some new places to trough as well as some firm favourites. So this is what we did as far as I can now recall.

Having got a flight from Luton at a ridiculous hour which meant debating w ether to go to bed at all that night we arrived to pick up the hire car which we had booked through ‘Economy’ with Centauro. Although we had to wait about 20 minutes for the minibus to take us to their compound the process was very easy and hassle free and we drove away in a very smart Focus estate (with cruise control to play with – I was happy!) with only 700 miles on the clock (had only booked a basic Focus) £135 for the week which I thought was pretty good.

Having arrived at the apartment to survey the damage from the winter I was pleasantly surprised and decided that maintenance/decorating could wait as I needed a well earned rest and it meant I could come back in a few weeks time to sort that stuff out!!!

Anyway having got up at 3 a.m. the stomach as now grumbling so it was off to Aries next to the Rosa Blanca for a light lunch of Pepito de Lomo (pork loin with onion and tomato in a baguette) and burgers for the kids – young adults now really; Rafa’s Pepito is one of the best we have found.

In the evening it is tradition that we always go to Can Ferrar – we just love it for it’s relaxed informal style and good value. As ever Toni was very welcoming and friendly. Food consisted of Frito to start (theirs is the best we have so far found), with the obligatory pan y alioli first, followed by mussels and chips for OH a couple of staeks (not as good as usual – a bit tasteless – take note Toni – go back to your old meat supplier!) and something else washed down with a 50cl bottle of Binissalem Rosado and a bottle of Macia Batle crianza and a few beers. Total bill around 70 euros for the 4 of us. Who says PP is expensive!

Can’t remember what we did during the day time but it would have consisted of much wandering around various towns peering in shop windows and trying on 14 different coulous of the same shoe in 28 different shoe shops!!

Kids wanted to watch footy (strange habit) so we left them at the Rosa Blanca and headed of to Celler la Parra as we have never been and there had been some good reviews. I am sorry but we will never return!! Apart from 45 minute wait to get the food and a rose that was more like sherry – the food was cr*p. Frito that was very dry and poor quality and a very fatty shoulder of lamb that was served with 2 carrots and 3 potatoes that resembled pebbles – the poor German man and his son at the table next to us had been there for 2 hours and only just got main course!!! 56 euros for 2 - 55 euros too much

Next evening we went to O’Lume – second visit, first in new location. Last visit not a great success so wanted to try again. Still disappointing IMO. Food average for price, service stuffy and new place does not have the same character as the old. For me this is going to be on the ‘we been to all our favourites – let’s give O’Lume another go’ list. 120ish euros inc bottle and glass of wine.

By contrast we decided to try Los Zarzales for the first time and what a delight it was. The service was spot on with the interaction of the waiter and the owner (can’t remember her name without looking it up in another thread) was just right. Can’t rember exactly what we had to eat but it was all extremely good and we even ender up with 4 Crema Cataluna – we don’t normally do pud! 140ish euros incl bot and half of vino de Mallorca of some sort

Next night Stay for the MMD. Had a table outside under their heaters and very pleasant it was although this has now dropped down our favourites list a bit as we felt it was not quite as good as it could be for the price. Too many euros!! And too much wine - 2 bottles between 2 of us because the kids don’t do wine. We tried, we really tried…but failed!!

Following night was off to Tiberi. Wife and kids love this place – I have reservations but I have to say that this night I really enjoyed it. Good atmosphere, lots of locals. Nachos to start then burgers all round I think. 97 euros. Shame thaey do not sell any Mallorcan wines though.

Next day lunch in Porto Colom – tapas restaurant – very good but expensive

Sunday – coffee at Bar l’Ombra in the top left hand corner of the square at bottom of Calvary steps while visiting market in old town – run by an English guy who is very friendly.

Lunch at Tolos; good as ever, paella for 2 and 2 Spanish omlettes beers and a bottle of Rosado and a free vista of the bay in glorious sunshine – 60 euros. Great to catch up with Tolo as I have known him for the best part of 40 years!!

Last night tradition requires that we return to Can Ferrar for their Lamb meal special – Tapas of frito, albondigas and spinach crouquettes followed by the leg of lamb infused with rosemary and garlic ….. but …. no chips!! Only little cubes of fried potato – presumably going ‘up market’ to match the new tables and chairs. So we told Toni ‘it has to be with chips, it’s always been with chips and should always be with chips!!’. 2 minutes later a plate of chips arrives – too much potato now!! Macia Batle crianza 2 glasses wine beer water

Picnic lunch of picnic stuff at Formentor one day.

Back out next weekend for 4 days – holidays are like buses!

For those of you who are Can Vidalet fans I hope to have news in the near future. Also opened up some bottles of Can Majoral yesterday that they sent us as samples ages ago - very good but do not have prices yet. A fresh and fruity Butibalausi white and rose, an oaked Chardonnay and a Viognier, all organic – we will try the reds next week I hope.
Old 24-04-2010, 13:41

Great post GG!

We obviously have very similar tastes as your favourites, and not so, appear to be the same as ours

I have to agree about Cellar la Parra...have eaten there about three times now ( usually in the winter when choice of places to go is limited ), similarly we've always been decidely under impressed.

I will have to save my view on O lume until I've tried the location, as like you have always been disappointed when I've been. I know it's an all time favourite on here bit that's my opinion and people have different tastes.

You're comments re the wine at Stay made me chuckle...they don't force you to have two bottles!!! The children can have soft drinks although its much better value for money to have wine. The wine on the MDD also comes in half bottles so maybe next time order one and a half bottles and buy a soft drink for one of the kids.

Sounds like you had a great week of eating but reading your post the thing I'm hankering after most is a picnic and a cold beer at Formentor
Old 24-04-2010, 23:12

News on Can Vidalet waited for with interest please!? Still my favourite 2008 Chardonnay.