Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 13:47

Default Brisa Marina June 2009

First night out for a meal and still reeling a little from the impact of the exchange rate making a beer and a cointreau and lemonade cost £9! so we made our way to Brisa marina and it's very reasonable MDD.

The service was very good and the welcome friendly.

The food was fairly basic, simple fare and came in at something ridiculously cheap like 39 euros but for me, eating out on holiday is about more than the price and compared to the other great meals we had I can't say that I could recommend it to others.

We ate - soup, chicken breast, ice-cream - hubby. Salad, grilled salmon, creme catalan - me. All ok - but a bit like food at the work's canteen I thought. Bottle of (slightly rough) house red was included in the MDD. Well what can you expect for the price?

Lots of people were clearly regulars and so I think maybe the fault was ordering the MDD. I think I would give this place another go and order A La carte.

Sorry Brisa fans!

Lala
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala70w View Post
First night out for a meal and still reeling a little from the impact of the exchange rate making a beer and a cointreau and lemonade cost £9! so we made our way to Brisa marina and it's very reasonable MDD.

The service was very good and the welcome friendly.

The food was fairly basic, simple fare and came in at something ridiculously cheap like 39 euros but for me, eating out on holiday is about more than the price and compared to the other great meals we had I can't say that I could recommend it to others.

We ate - soup, chicken breast, ice-cream - hubby. Salad, grilled salmon, creme catalan - me. All ok - but a bit like food at the work's canteen I thought. Bottle of (slightly rough) house red was included in the MDD. Well what can you expect for the price?

Lots of people were clearly regulars and so I think maybe the fault was ordering the MDD. I think I would give this place another go and order A La carte.

Sorry Brisa fans!

Lala
Where did you buy the beer and cointreau, so I know where to avoid???

The bit in bold says it all for me. I have ate both the MDD and a la carte in the Brisa Marina and know what you mean. However, I bet you didn't have a cheaper dinner in the two weeks? The red is a bit rough, I agree.
Old 13-07-2009, 08:00

Hi Mark!

I am afraid that drinks were costing us 10 euros at many places - the cheapest we ever found was 8 euros 30...

In terms of cheap meals - we had a cheaper meal at the Chinese (also very average fare) and a cheap meal at Tolos (but not an enjoyable eating experience - will post later) but the way I look at it, for another 5 euros we had a terrific meal at O Lume and the Sis Pins (both about 45)

Lala
Old 13-07-2009, 12:13

We love Brisa Marina for the fact they sell my sons favourites, Pescaditos and Chiperones, you know I dont even know hat they charge for either! The MDD is great when you want something fast and tasty on a budget. With bairns that can eat for Scotland, that become important!

I assume its the spirits that cost most in bars now? I work in Dublin a few days a week, where a spirit and mixer can be 7 euros plus. I assume a pint in PP is still selling for €3 to 3.50 other than in the Irish bars, who add a euro?

Last edited by Mark1875; 13-07-2009 at 12:16.
Old 13-07-2009, 12:45

yes that's about right Mark although once it was 4 euro - hubby was not amused!! L
Old 13-07-2009, 12:49

Great reviews lala, enjoyable and informative, I still think 4 Euros is ok for a beer, its about what I pay here, btw posting on your first day in your new job
Old 13-07-2009, 13:10

On lunch - honest!
Old 13-07-2009, 18:22

Smile

Lets face it the days of cheap drinks are long gone and unless the exchange rate improves wont come back. 4 euros for a beer that will do for me i tend to forget about comparing the cost of things its just what you pay when on hols.
Old 13-07-2009, 19:45

I agree Rangers1 - we always say - "we're here now - have whatever you want" but we doubled our spending money this year! And we had skipped our pre-dinner drink most nights having a wee sherry on the balcony instead.

Lala
Old 14-07-2009, 19:58

Interesting thread. I am quite new to PP but have seen prices double (in relative terms vav inflation/exchange rate) in 3 years. So we all adapt. you might eat out twice a week instead of 3 or 4. The happy hour is not such a bad thing. Hotel Panorama, 2 pints, 2 1/2's are only €4.60. I love El Ancla, but some of their wines are more expensive than Stay!For those of you who enjoy the jazz at Ancla, does anyone agree that they have shot themselves in the foot but cutting the band back from 4/5 to 1 person? For me, it has lost the appeal and the place was half empty last Sunday. The food is still good value, but it has lost something.......
Old 16-07-2009, 08:08

Strange to hear Brisa Marina described as being like canteen food. We found the food to be of a very good standard. My son had the fish soup which came in a huge tureen that the waiter left at the table. It was like the sea in a bowl - huge prawns, squid, mussels, crab legs, chunks of fish. The actual stock was a bit thin, but for the price it was great. The monkfish and prawn kebabs were huge and again great value. The veg was overcooked and frankly a bit pointless, but for me this is the sort of place you go for reasonably priced seafood - the sort of place that is really hard to find in England. Lots of locals eating there late on a Friday night - always a good sign. I noticed they were eating mainly seafood and paella. Waiters friendly but not super efficient and their English was not great - I like that. Lots of time between courses - relaxed and unpretentious. I would definitely recommend it to others, particularly seafood lovers.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:24

Have to agree Paul - we too had the fish soup and it was the best I've had in PP - and the gratinated cod was pretty good too. Accompanying veggies were some of the nicest and freshest and portions were huge. Admittedly we didn't have the MDD but then a lot of MDD meals we've had elsewhere are of the 'works canteen' variety - can't see how they can be otherwise when they're charging maybe 10 euros for a three course meal with wine and water. I felt at Brisa Marina even the a carte prices were pretty competitive and the service was excellent despite the fact that the place was heaving.
Old 16-07-2009, 23:36

Paul B, how can you possibly say that the waiters at Brisa Marina are not efficient? Generally there are just three of them working the entire restaurant. Go into any British restaurant , and see if they can cope on so few staff.

And their English? You could consider speaking to them in their own language.

I despair! At least you enjoyed the food.
Old 17-07-2009, 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
Paul B, how can you possibly say that the waiters at Brisa Marina are not efficient? Generally there are just three of them working the entire restaurant. Go into any British restaurant , and see if they can cope on so few staff.

And their English? You could consider speaking to them in their own language.

I despair! At least you enjoyed the food.
Disorderly,

I think you misunderstood completely what was I saying. I said the waiters were not "super efficient" - i.e. they were not the kind of automatons you get in some places. I was not criticising the fact that their English was not great, on the contrary, I enjoy going to places where they do not pander to tourists, and I enjoy trying out my very rudimentary Spanish.The phrase "I like that" may give you a clue here! Think I made this pretty clear if you read what I said in it's entirety. Hope others did not misunderstand my post.
Old 17-07-2009, 20:50

Another one who agrees with Paul B. Went in Brisas Marina in early June after seeing it mentioned several times on the 'forum'.
Had excellent meal. My holiday notes say - Good food, good service.
Mixed Pescado for me, Entrecote steak and pepper sauce for Mrs P. Wine, Reimat Chardonnay. In fact I remember going down to the kitchen to thank the chef, don't do that very often... must have been good. Try Brisas Marina, you won't be dissapointed!