Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Not so good restaurants/bars! (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/4366-not-so-good-restaurants-bars.html)

Gommar Goffer 19-03-2009 16:34

Hibiscus used to be the top restaurant in the port, but I am going back nearly 30 years. They even had a Sommeliere. Haven't tried it for many years so maybe time to again.

GG

RobnAnna 19-03-2009 18:16

Our only bad experience in PP was at the Sol Naciente.after a rather long wait the drinks arrived,and after more of our lives being wasted the starters arrived with the main course.The table barely had the room for the salt and pepper pots! We laughed it off.Is it just an English thing that we simply dont raise the issue there and then,and go home saying we wont go there again.Thank god for Caan Ferrer(cant wait)

PP76 19-03-2009 20:50

We remember well the days when Hibiscus was a top restuarant, we have used it a couple of times in the last two years, it was ok but not to the standard of the 70/80s.

PP76

Smiddy 20-03-2009 01:26

Don't know about anybody else, but i would NEVER accept food which i disliked, a polite complaint always brings action. You must complain at the time, no point in accepting the food then sounding-off after we come home, it can also be unfair to the restaurants concerned as they should be given a chance to rectify it. In all my years of going to PP the 2 worst meals i had were the Stay and Los Zas. but i've no doubt these were just "off" nights. Also accepting poor service/food only encourages the sinners to keep on sinning.

AS my old granny used to say "Accept second best, then that's exactly what you'll get!

Lala70w 01-04-2009 16:06

Agree with a lot of this. It does come down to personal taste but unless you are lucky enough to live or have a holiday home in PP it's an expensive mistake to keep making so we tend not to return to an establishment if we have had a bad experience I am afraid.

Tried once and won't go back -

Chinese above the roundabout - truly dreadful service and greasy food

Pascalinos - I have never seen cockroaches that big :eek: (place of late night drinks of last resort only)

Centric - I know there are lots of fans (including my sister) but we had the worst service ever there one night and the food was well below average

Iru - greatly overpriced, snooty service, average food

Il Mojito - had a wonderful meal one year in then the second visit was dreadful - service, food everything - even the bread was stale and the butter pats green mouldy - yuk!

Not impressed but might return for another try

Stay - poor service but a Forum fav
Manduca - slooooooooooooooooowwwwwww service but food is delicious
Tiberi - but not for steak
Los Z - salty food, service issues too
Maxim - service is a hit or a miss

Most of our bad experiences are in the Square. That is probably why we seldom eat there now - there are plenty better places IMO

Lala

joelise80 01-04-2009 19:08

We wouldn't go back to Tiberi as we found it looked lovely as you walk past but once seated it just wasn't the same. My burger was undercooked and I couldn't get anyone to take any notice as they were very busy, and believe me I'm not someone who just whispers! Everyone else thought the food was a bit 'odd' as in not quite Asian, not quite English, not quite Italian. When they came to clear plates and I hadn't eaten mine they offered to re cook it but everyone else had long finished so they knocked it off the bill to be fair.

Gommar Goffer 02-04-2009 11:46

Tiberi is a firm favourite with us, especially our kids (older ones). We like the eclectic style of the menu, however if the meal is not up to scratch you have to complain otherwise it will keep happening.

Lala70w 02-04-2009 16:38

Tried Tiberi three times over the years

the first time - 2 of us - nice setting but my steak was very poor quality and overcooked

Second time - with large group of friends - just pasta - was ok - but too busy, service hyper, not relaxing

Third time - small group of friends - service inattentive and hyper, wrong dishes delievred, I forgot and ordered steak - poor quality again and undercooked this time, total bill seemed awfully expensive too for what we had.

To sum up - always seems like a good idea at the time but has never been a relaxed dining experience for us.

Staff are incredibly good looking though! ;)

sws97sdg 02-04-2009 20:14

Lala m8 have to disagree, we have eaten there every year we have been there, service is always good, food is always excellent, general bit of advice go veggie, it is always the best options. Manager now recognises us and welcomes us with open arms, the owner, who looks a bit like me always says hello and shakes my hand if we meet him in the street, Agree with you on them being the best looking staff in the port, even the girls.

Lala70w 02-04-2009 20:45

I'll maybe give it another go then SWS - it always seems tempting - the menu is varied but we have yet to have that memorable experience where everything falls into place - youknow?

Although to be fair, I remember the first time being nice apart from the steak - the lighting was quite romantic and hubby liked the free glass of beer at the start.

Is there a quieter time of night/ quieter night to go?

Lala

sws97sdg 02-04-2009 20:51

No not really, you should try it in August, people queue to get in, yes the atmosphere is good with the setting and the chill out area inside with the squashy sofas and as you say the menu has a great choice, go veggie:)

debz1 02-04-2009 21:44

I agree with sws we love it at Tiberi and always have great food and service, and a warm welcome... especially from Marcos the owner (swoon :p)

We've never been rushed and love the chilled out atmosphere and the music. Having said that we tend to eat late. around 9.30 , so possibly the staff are more relaxed as the early stampede is over :eek:

Had the most gorgeous pasta there once..ravioli stuffed with mushrooms raisons and pine nuts in a very gorgeous, at least a million calories creamy sauce :)

JH02JLH 02-04-2009 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by sws97sdg (Post 28984)
... the owner, who looks a bit like me

Debs...does this mean that...:eek:

debz1 02-04-2009 22:30

LOL @ Jane :D

I did think that after I'd re read my post. Lets let him dream on ;)

sws97sdg 02-04-2009 22:36

:( I am still here you know, just to clear up things the handsome guy you are talking about is the manager I think the young guy with curly hair, the owner is the same guy who owns Guru as well, he is older, fatter and has less hair, hence the similarity, sorry if you are reading this, I love your restaurants :eek: