Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Not so good restaurants/bars! (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/4366-not-so-good-restaurants-bars.html)

whaleywanderer 08-03-2009 12:05

Not so good restaurants/bars!

My son has just returned from a short break in PP and all in all he had some good experiences - Trio excellent - Spanish restaurant on the corner near the church in the square (he couldn't remember the name!) - best paella he's tasted. Unfortunately he had a couple of bad meals also - The Chinese overlooking the taxi rank/bus stops, really bad meal, he would not go back - Joker bar, where they stopped for a snack of baguettes/omelettes, the bread was mouldy and the baguettes really stale.:(
Possibly a sign of the times, trying to save money, but not a good way to encourage customers to return.

animagic21 08-03-2009 14:32

Not so Good Restaurants and Bars

Oh dear, that sounds bad and not like the Joker at all. We've been going to PP for 17 years and have always had lovely snacks there and the staff really nice and friendly. Let's hope it's a one off. We're due out in August, but only for a week this year as our younger sons are getting their GCSE and A level results in that month and we couldn't fit 2 weeks in. Looking forward to our hol so much, just hope the economic climate isn't going to spoil things.

its cd 08-03-2009 15:53

Can't comment re the Chinese but I am very suprised about Joker ......... we have used the Joker as our "snack bar of choice" many many times over the past 15 years and never had any cause for complaint

Lets hope it was a one off

debz1 08-03-2009 19:22

We too had the most appalling meal in the Chinese restaurant on the roundabout a couple of years ago. We'd only gone there as a last resort as it was winter and not many places were open. Never again :eek:

El Gordo 09-03-2009 01:22

I agree with the others that the bad meal at joker is unusual, over the years we have snacked there and had no problems.

As far as the Chinese comment, I have had a very bland and oily meal there in the past so we had chosen not to go back. Other friends have said it was fine when they tried it so I put it down to personal likes/dislikes!!

However last year we were invited by some friends to an ESRA "do" at the restaurant when the set meal was really excellent and enjoyed by all. Cannot really explain why they cannot seem to do this for normal customers.
Shame really its in such a prominent position and looks very inviting.

I did hear some time ago that they may close and have an additional floor added above for apartments.

Smiddy 09-03-2009 01:35

Have read the odd bad review about the Chinese Rest. We've been going since it opened about 10 years ago and never had a bad meal. Any problems refuse the meal and ask to speak to the owner, Linda, i'm sure she'll sort it out.

whaleywanderer 09-03-2009 10:06

Quote:

Any problems refuse the meal and ask to speak to the owner, Linda, i'm sure she'll sort it out.
If it had been myself I would certainly have complained but unfortunately not everybody does, I am a believer of 'constructive criticism' rather than suffer in silence. Although the boys had just arrived, unpacked, were tired and just wanted something to eat, so they went to the nearest place that was open. The old saying comes to mind 'Once bitten........................................

Major Tom 09-03-2009 11:23

I agree shame about the food as the Chinese has the best views in the Port
had awful New Years Dinner 2007 there, also never going back !!

kate1 09-03-2009 11:45

We have been there a couple of times mostly because it was open out of season or because it was chucking it down and everywhere else was full... We found that they were happy to cook dishes that weren't on the menu and that they were much nicer. Fresher, more interesting and not coated in the ubiquitous oily batter. We had a spicy aubergine dish and a beancurd dish that were really delicious - as you say, hard to imagine why they don't make these available to the public as a matter of course. But we would certainly recommend the new place, La Villa, over this one - all it lacks is the views.

RobnAnna 09-03-2009 22:34

Donna loves this photo .Any chance you could let us know please!

RobnAnna 09-03-2009 22:37

I must learn to type.Please could you let us know where she could take a similar photo.Many thanks Rob

pollensa 10-03-2009 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob and donna (Post 28333)
I must learn to type.Please could you let us know where she could take a similar photo.Many thanks Rob

I'm not sure what this post has to do with 'not so good restaurants' - please can you explain & maybe post in an appropriate forum.

Thanks

webmaster

Sparky 11-03-2009 10:08

We have eaten in the Luna de Miel twice since we moved here. The first time was on Kings Night, Special Chow Mein, Chicken and Cashew with rice and Squid to share. The squid was overcooked and we did not eat it, when i told the waitress she apologised and it was deducted from the bill and we were given 2 huge brandies on the house. We went again a couple of weeks ago and everything was lovely (ok we didn't have squid). This time i was given a gift, a crystal swan, what a nice touch.The staff are very friendly and efficient and it is a lovely view, we will go again.;)

El Gordo 11-03-2009 10:41

It just goes to show that you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time!!

Personal taste and expectations are very subjective and so really when we are given reviews of good meals and not so good at a restaurant we should try the place and see for ourselves!

As I said in a previous post, we have had good and bad, according to "our" taste. But this is based on only one or two dishes we have tried.

Most of us try to give an unbiased opinion but sometimes biased opinion can creep in. I was thinking about previous members who may have had a connection with an establishment praising their virtues!! (usually dealt with accordingly by Pollensa)

Hopefully, we regular posters have built up a trust so that we can give unbiased opinion, but we must remember its our opinion of often a small section of a large menu. As long as we understand that I think this is a valuable guide.

As for complaining, I am not very good at it. I once complained that the soup at Can Costa in Alcudia was far too salty to the point I could not eat it, only to be shot down by the elderly gent on the next table saying it was lovely!! So it all comes down to often to personal taste!

Keep up the posts, enjoy your dining experiences and keep the reviews coming. Certainly I will be giving my opinion on the restaurants we go to in April.

Belladonna 11-03-2009 10:50

I totally agree with the point that there are different places that suit different tastes, but unfortunately if I have been to a restaurant that didnt suit me and then read bad reports as well, I tend to think that its not just a one off. I dont want to go back there with the idea that if it dishes up something that is wrong, all I have to do is complain and everything will be ok. I prefer to go somewhere knowing that I wont have to complain!
I will however, always give a place a second chance if a) I think it was just a one off bad night and b) if I read enough good reports about it.