Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-04-2008, 23:19

Interesting thread!

I'd always thought Tango did a cracking steak (my son swears it's the best he's ever had), BUT and it is a big BUT we've never tried some of the names mentioned on this thread and Tango is not what (and certainly isn't where) it used to be. I find it amazing that in all the years I've been going to PP there are still places I haven't visited and, as a result of this forum, I now feel the need to er stretch my horizons
Sponsored Links
Old 30-04-2008, 12:58

Default El Mojito

I have to say that EL MOJITO takes some beating when it comes to steaks!
It's the ONLY place that ever seems to get it just right for me. I am one of those dying breeds that still likes my steak 'blue' but hot in the middle and not just on the outside. Believe me, having been in the catering business for more years than I care to remember, it takes some doing to get it just right but they certainly do at EL MOJITO! I have known the owner Emilio for many, many years and his standards since he first opened here have never slipped. ALL his food is superb & this year he has taken over the BBQ Grill next to the Bar Cultural which I'm certain he will run with the same high standards.

Well worth a visit!
Old 30-04-2008, 13:00

Is the BBQ Grill known as Makassar?
Old 30-04-2008, 13:08

Yes I believe so Jane.
Old 30-04-2008, 15:47

Red face

Alcanada. Im with you there! We have been going to Alcudia and PP and LLenaire for over 20 years and I still cant find half the restaurants that are posted about!
Old 30-04-2008, 19:37

I'm with Snowy Restaurant Siller ... the best steak I've ever tasted
Old 30-04-2008, 21:04

Naciente's T Bone is the best for us. It arrives cut into strips on a hotplate so you can cook it how you like it. At 20 Euros it is usually enough for the two of us.
Old 30-04-2008, 21:21

Default Best steak

Must agree with snowy & debz, best steak ever. I must admit i enjoyed evening in Siller, the home made wine and getting that steak cooked at table. Counting the days.
Old 30-04-2008, 22:02
Super Moderator

Default L'Olivera

Fabulous steak cooked on a stone at your table.Mmmmm
Old 30-04-2008, 22:59

Like Alcanada I thought the steak at Tango was rather good. Also had nice steaks at O'Lume, Mistral (sadly no more) and the Hotel Bahia some years ago before it became a fish restaurant. (actually that was quite possibly the best steak I have ever had - choice of pepper or roquefort sauce - yum!)

The worst steak I have had in the Port was in Tiberi (chewy cheap cut akin to dog food - yet expensive and side orders extra) but - sorry Gina - El Mojito was a close second. We ate there one year and had a nice meal but the next year we discovered disgustingly dirty toilets full of mosquitos, butter with green mould on it, surly service and average food - sounds like it was maybe an off-night considering that you have always had good service but we haven't been back - was sure I had a little tummy bug after being there - not good.

Must try Siller though - looks good Snowy. Anything for veggies in my party?

Lala
Old 30-04-2008, 23:07

Default El Mojito

Really sorry to hear that LaLa. I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal there yet. I was out 1st week in April & had the most fabulous chateaubriand there & as I said last weekend the fillet steak was superb. You must have been very unlucky to hit on a rare 'off night'.
Maybe you should give them another try?
Old 30-04-2008, 23:23

Might just do so Gina - a personal recommendation is the best eh? Must say we were tempted by the live music in September.

The night in question there was a storm brewing. It was really, reall hot and the wind had got up. Think tempers were a little frayed...
Old 22-09-2008, 14:41

It doesn’t take you long to realise that the owner of the Restaurant Siller takes a real pride in the food he serves. And he’s right to be – it really is a cracker of a restaurant, serving good quality local food at reasonable prices. Every neighbourhood everywhere deserves its own version of the Siller.

Bread and Olives quickly arrive. The bread is homemade and comes as “pa amb oli”, with the tomato and olive oil both grown/produced from the owner’s finca. The bread is dense, chewy and tasty. The tomato is fresh and sweet. The oil the absolute essence of olive fruitiness. It’s one of the best things I’ve put in my mouth all year.

Vegetable soup comes in a tureen and a large bowl is served. The tureen is left in case second helpings are needed (they weren’t). It’s full of beans – obviously tinned butter, black-eye and kidney beans, mixed with fresh green and runner beans. Carrots, courgette, celery and cabbage added more textures and flavours. Absolutely superb.

A “special” starter of figs and sobrasada almost worked. Great concept and the intent was surely to have the sobrasada act as a salty, savoury contrast to the sweetness of the figs roasted with honey. But it needed much, much more to work. Even with the scattering of pine nuts, this seemed more a dessert than starter.

We both had the fillet steak which comes on a “sizzling“ plate allowing it to finish cooking as you want it. In a great act of showmanship, the meat is carved at the table, the thickness of the slices dependent on how done you want the end result to be. It’s dressed with oil, pepper and salt – too much salt, truth be told. But it is a fine piece of meat, which finishes round about medium rare and, salt aside, is delicious.

The showmanship is not restricted to serving steak. Another customer had ordered lamb chops. These are served from a wooden bowl in which a small bundle of hay was set alight. Certainly catches the attention as it’s carried through the room – even though I’m not a great fan of this sort of affectation.

A bowl of fried potatoes is served with our steaks and some green beans – both again from the owner’s finca. Spuds were particularly tasty.

No dessert but good “café solo” is served. We’d had water and my life companion had seen off most of a bottle of Macia Batle. Service had been fine, although the kitchen seemed quite slow in getting food out. Bill came to €96.
Old 22-09-2008, 14:55

Your take on life will possibly determine if you’ll like the Corb Mari. Ask yourself this – when folk constantly mutter to themselves in public do you think of them as “local characters” or “local nutters”? If the former, then you’ll probably like the waiters here – even they are off-hand with you.

Corb Mari has a shortish carta of mainly grills and the like. While we were weighing it up, bread and olives arrived (neither very good) and a Lenguica sausage (very, very good – meaty, herby and with some chilli heat).

The companion in life orders a vegetable soup. A large bowl,arrives – creamy, almost certainly homemade and savoury with no single veggie standing out. Just the sort of dish that you’d really want to have on a cold and wet November night but it was still pretty good on this warm evening.

A sauté of mixed mushrooms and asparagus is normally my kind of starter – particularly as here, when there are some tasty interesting wild mushrooms in amongst the buttons and loads of garlic. Perhaps I was just jaded after two weeks of eating out virtually every night but it just didn’t cut it for. Can’t explain why or give any better reason – there was nowt actually wrong with it.

We both ordered fillet steak – asked for it to cooked medium. It arrived on the rare side of medium rare but was perfectly fine to eat. Fillet is tolerant like that. This was good quality meat – full of flavour and with a very good charring on the outside. Chef clearly knows what s/he is doing – even if s/he had cooked a “Spanish medium”, not a “British medium”.

Steaks came with a platter of chips and mixed veg – broccoli, cauliflower and carrot. It was good to have a meal without aubergine and peppers making an appearance. Oddly, they also came with a bowl of rice pilaff which was sweet with raisins. A strange thing to serve with steak – and one we left after a quick taste.

Apple pie had a 25 minute wait. I was too impatient for this so ordered ice-cream. Three blobs – chocolate, vanilla and a really tasty orange. The other dessert was “flan” – a favourite across the table. It came with some blobs of “squirty” cream from a can.

Coffee was good although could have been hotter.

We’d drunk a couple of bottles of water and a half bottle of something red from Inca. Bill came to €112
Old 08-07-2009, 21:18

cant wait to try restaurant siller defo having a steak