Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Manduca to close (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/11921-manduca-close.html)

Major Tom 08-03-2015 15:40

This is another nail in the coffin for a winter breaks in the Port.
Our local supermarket was running it stocks down at the end of October,
I guess the locals have to eat in more and watch TV, not what we want to do
on our hols !!

MoMike 08-03-2015 16:06

Manducca

This is really bad news. Why would these grasping landlords do this to hardworking people. I am still recovering from the loss of the old Cultural and Manducca will be another bit of history lost. Does anyone know what the new Cultural will be this yeary

MAG 08-03-2015 19:36

This is such a shame and potential wider disaster for the whole port as described in all the posts. Makes me really wonder where it will all lead and indeed if the port is really going to be the golden gem it has been, in years to come. Maybe time to look a little wider on the island.

Nick 08-03-2015 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAG (Post 101010)
This is such a shame and potential wider disaster for the whole port as described in all the posts. Makes me really wonder where it will all lead and indeed if the port is really going to be the golden gem it has been, in years to come. Maybe time to look a little wider on the island.

I'm not sure it's quite panic stations yet and I can assure you that other resorts will be far more deserted than PP in the winter, Cala D'or being one for a start. Don't forget that PP is a working town. However, this blatant greed by some landlords will not help.

PP will not lose its unique charm.

scouse mark 08-03-2015 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAG (Post 101010)

This kind of thing comes back and bites the landlords on the bum,thowing the baby out with the bathwater spings to mind, look at el ancla closed no planing permision and no rent coming in, i hope they choke.but dont bother looking anywhere else on the island, if you have the pp bug, sitting in some other resort with your head in your hands,thinking what have i done is horrible trust me i know.never again ,as bob marley said one love.

kate1 08-03-2015 23:05

It does happen everywhere sadly - we spend quite a bit of time in a small seaside town in Suffolk where landlords over the last few years raised rents so much that only the larger retail chains could afford to set up shop. I do think (hope) what goes around comes around - some of the chains in question aren't doing well, and I suspect rents will fall again - the landlords certainly seem now to be much more open to negotiation. It's a painful process and very sad for those who are the victims at the start of it all.

sws97sdg 09-03-2015 12:07

My thoughts are turning to what will happen to the place now, if a local open all year around cant afford the rent, who will be able to!

Sparky 09-03-2015 12:50

I don't know if this is true but i was told that a member of the family that owns the building is a chef who has worked there in the past :rolleyes: ;).

Sparky 09-03-2015 15:11

As the discussion was moving on to more general things i have moved some posts into this new thread :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...fect-port.html.

lollipop 09-03-2015 15:38

The old cultural bar was being run by the grandson of the owner of the buildings. He has been very ill I am told ,so not sure what will happen to it this year, however Casa Manolo has made a more than adequate replacement for the locals.

Old Can Josep building is being worked on and I have heard it is to be run by Uruguayans as a Pasta Pizza place.
There is also a new Pizza bar opened on JUAN XX111, with all pizzas 5 euro.
The Port is not dead yet!!

Nick 09-03-2015 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 101029)
I don't know if this is true but i was told that a member of the family that owns the building is a chef who has worked there in the past :rolleyes: ;).

"Ulterior motive" then I wonder???!!!

sws97sdg 09-03-2015 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by lollipop (Post 101041)
The old cultural bar was being run by the grandson of the owner of the buildings. He has been very ill I am told ,so not sure what will happen to it this year, however Casa Manolo has made a more than adequate replacement for the locals.

Old Can Josep building is being worked on and I have heard it is to be run by Uruguayans as a Pasta Pizza place.
There is also a new Pizza bar opened on JUAN XX111, with all pizzas 5 euro.
The Port is not dead yet!!

I was wondering if someone was going to take on that place now Can josep has moved, not sure about another Italian place though, however much I love Italian food!

Nick 09-03-2015 18:12

Maybe but to be honest I don't mind what places are run as so long as they are kept open. Good luck to all of them.

Bracken 09-03-2015 20:26

Totally agree with all the comments on Manducca.

On a brighter note. We heard the lease on the Ivy Garden has been taken on by the nice people from Tribeca, a breakfast / lunch / dinner place with a different slant than Tribeca. Think the planned opening date was early April.

Anybody know anything?

Sparky 09-03-2015 20:41

Yes that is true :).