Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Manduca to close (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/11921-manduca-close.html)

Sparky 08-03-2015 00:21

Manduca to close

I am really sad to report that Manducca, managed by Pedro and Pascqual will be closing down soon. This is because the owner of the building has increased the monthly rent by 1500€.

MAG 08-03-2015 01:15

I cant believe this. A great all year round and well suported restaurant. We have had so many great evenings there and good take aways. I can only assume this will become another one of the themed venues. Tourists in summer and closed all winter. I do wonder what will actually become of the Port in time. And its happening far too quick. Real shame for everyone.

Tangoman 08-03-2015 01:28

I for one do not understand this. 1500 Euro per month is at current rates (as of today - tourist rates at that) is about £1115 per month, i.e. £257.75 per week. That is about £36 per day - the only conclusion is that the starting point is a hell of a lot more money per month!!!

Good luck to him and his business.

animagic21 08-03-2015 02:00

What a shame. We have enjoyed many lovely meals there. In January it was good to have a reasonably priced, open restaurant & the owners very friendly.

CathB 08-03-2015 09:44

Oh what a shame - a relatively recent discovery for us but a firm favourite 😢

El Gordo 08-03-2015 09:48

Sad news. I was told this on friday by someone but was asked to say nothing. :(

Hope its busy for their last day today?

Good luck Pedro and Pasqual...Hope to see you open somewhere else.

sws97sdg 08-03-2015 09:51

That is great shame for the owners, and the port as it was open everyday of the year except christmas day. Feel sorry for Pedro Sparky, do you know if they are thinking of opening up somewhere else! Would have loved one more meal in there :mad:

Canbalache 08-03-2015 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 100977)
I am really sad to report that Manducca, managed by Pedro and Pascqual will be closing down soon. This is because the owner of the building has increased the monthly rent by 1500€.

As someone who first visited the port over 25 years ago and who is now preparing for their eighth season as a bar owner here, it saddens me greatly as yet again the greed and short sightedness of the ports landlords continue to be a major factor in the resorts decline. For those of us who live here all year the likes of Manducca are an essential part of our winters. You had only to walk through the square this winter to witness the ports sad demise. With only Manolo's and Casa Vila being open for the duration. In a twisted way I would love to see every local empty and all the ports landlords with worthless properties :mad:

animagic21 08-03-2015 10:19

If we knew who the landlord was, we would endeavour to boycott their establishments.

Belladonna 08-03-2015 10:35

I was shocked to read this this morning! They have been one of our most visited, trusted restaurants in the port for many years. Our first nighters on winter visits, our only restaurant that we trust for takeaways, a perfect place to meet friends, and they themselves were always so friendly and ready for a chat. Great food and wine on any night in any season goes without saying.

I am actually extremely sad to know they are disappearing and very worried that yet another chain restaurant will be the only ones to be able to afford the ridiculous rent increases.
All the individuality of restaurants are disappearing out of the port, being pushed by greed.
I know that many of Pedro and Pasquels clients would visit them where ever they reopened, so hopefully if some do manage to keep in touch with them and they do start up again, we can do just that! :(

Gommar Goffer 08-03-2015 12:29

I am in shock! This has been my favourite of the everyday restaurants for years. When I was out in January I probably ate there 7 days out of 14 as they were one of the few places open and in my opinion the best and most varied - menu wise.

Can Balache - I know how you feel. The rent increases make you so angry. :mad:

I do hope that Pedro and Pasqual can find somewhere else to ply their trade as the loss of Manduca will not be good for the port, especially the permanent residents!

Canbalache 08-03-2015 12:48

For us Manducca is great it's open all winter and during the summer we can go there after we close and get something to eat up until 1am

Sparky 08-03-2015 12:55

I honestly don't understand the mentality of the few people who own so many business properties here, surely having a steady amount of money coming in every month is better than none at all. It's like they are killing the goose that laid the golden egg :mad:.

Pedro and Pasqual are the most hard working people i know, they said the restaurant was open all year and it was, there were times when they looked exhausted but they kept smiling and always found time to chat. I feel so sad for them and the people that worked for them :(.

Stevo66 08-03-2015 13:15

We completely agree with all the previous comments.It was always our first port of call on arriving back in the Port.

Nick 08-03-2015 14:08

Words fail me............and any I would like to use here would see me banned!

What on earth is going on with (some but seems increasingly more) complete and utter idiotic, greedy, clueless, mean, pathetic, the list could go on, landlords in PP? What are they playing at? Do they want to see the place collapse?

Manducca's was, as many have said, a reasonably priced place to go at any time and virtually any day of the year to get something to eat. Don't know the owners and staff personally but we use it and run by very nice people as well.

There can be NO other reason than sheer greed as to why these landlords are pricing hard-working people out of a livelihood and making the town what it is. It is crazy.

As Animagic says, I'd love to know who these people are.