Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Circulo Cultural (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/10308-circulo-cultural.html)

tangofan 25-06-2013 17:00

Circulo Cultural

Thought we would try lunch here this week as they seem to do more food this year but strangely were unable to obtain a menu with prices on. Eventually one of the girls produced a screwed up paper menu from her pocket but wonder why they don't have proper menus like everywhere else or at least put the prices on their chalkboard? We would always like to see the prices before ordering -the food looked nice but we gave up in the end. Has anybody eaten here?

Incidentally does anybody know anything about the new owners?

MAG 25-06-2013 23:26

They are not licenced for food and this is very much a locals bar for drinks. The current guys running the bar are part of the actual owners of the property. It has just been repainted on the outide but the hostal is still closed i think.

pollensafan 26-06-2013 07:59

Never mind the food !!!. They need to do something about one of the waitresses. All last week people were just getting up and walking out because they could not get served. We went in 4 times and not once did she bring the right order. She would then go to each table asking if it was theirs. Last Thursday she was the only one waiting tables. The other one was filling drink orders behind the bar.

tangofan 26-06-2013 09:47

MAG - did you mean that the reason they have no prices or menus is because it is not licenced for food? In previous years they have had a smaller amount of food available.

I agree with Pollensfan about the waitresses and it is clear that they need more staff as the place is as busy as ever so it is no wonder they get muddled sometimes. It is often easier just to go direct to the bar.

I think the ambience has changed in the bar since the change of ownership last year and would also mention that despite the refurbishment the Ladies toilet never seems to have soap, hand drying facilities or toilet paper. In fact last night 2 cubicles seemed permanently locked. In busy places like this particularly, the toilets should be checked every now and again during opening hours. I am still curious about the new owners/management.

However we love the trio of musicians that have been playing there and last night a young trumpeter joined them for a short time. He was very good - does anyone know who he is? I think he was Spanish.

We still know it as the Corner Bar and is has long been a favourite as it is a locals bar but have gone off it a bit lately

pollensafan 26-06-2013 10:29

Tangofan, Re-" Easier just to go to the bar". A couple of us tried that once and were told to go and wait for the waitress.

tangofan 26-06-2013 14:06

We must have been lucky as we managed to do that last night! Also the drinks were the same prices 3 days in a row which is a miracle!

wilcoxon 04-07-2013 18:16

We came home July 2nd. By then there were printed menus, mostly snack type meals, they were out one night, but not the next.
It was quite slow getting served if they were busy, so we tried going to the bar.
That worked, but it was the same girls getting the drinks from the bar that were serving them outside.
Maria (short hair) kept forgetting where she was going, but the long haired girl was more efficient. The "Boss" - large guy with cigar didn`t seem to do much.

I love it there though, just sitting people watching is so entertaining.
The first weekend there was a group of about 8 people, English, but I got the impression they lived there, they had a black dog called Reg.
Anyway - it was one of the guys birthday and his partner was practically comatose. It looked like they had been there a while by the amount of empty wine bottles on the table. She managed to stand up , but had to be carried away. One other lady decided to dance to the music, but stood up and fell into the jazz band. I don`t think they were too pleased. Equipment was knocked over.
They left not long after, the ladies had a great deal of trouble crossing the square, we didn't see them again there, but spotted them in other places.

Last weekend there was a fiesta, there were some giants in the square.
The two guitarists and the maracas man were there. They stopped for a break and three singers who were dressed in traditional type clothes were walking by, they came in sang for a short time.

Very soon the police were looking on, but they called the "Boss" out , had words with him , wrote in a notebook and gave him a ticket.
The next night we were there and the jazz band turned up, but were stopped from setting up.
All we thought we could make out was that they were only going to be allowed to play for one hour.
They didn`t even bother, but they didn`t look happy.
Are there rules about music etc.

Also the "grannies" are great fun, they seem to like a particular table against the wall, and heaven forbid if it`s taken. When people start getting ready to move they are like sprinters off the block.
We see them come out of church and into the bar . I wonder where the menfolk are.
I must stop writing now, I`m back home in North Wales, and missing my little spot in the square badly :(

sws97sdg 04-07-2013 18:27

Lol, very well observed, love it there, is a microcosm of the port and if you sit there for a while you really get a feel for the local life of the place and the characters there

Lorenzo 04-07-2013 21:09

Circulo Cultural - live jazz

We really enjoyed the live music provided by the Fat Cats jazz band on Sunday 30th June 2013. :)
During the evening, Guillermo invited various friends up to sing the odd song with them as well - mostly to good effect.
The table service was good - and prices were consistent throughout the evening.

The Local Police came and went and popped back again, and chatted with Alejandro, one of the twins who run the bar now. Fortunately no sign of 'tickets' or anything like a fine in the offing as far as we could see :)

The food offer - more like tapas - was written up on the chalk board outside. Certainly, everything that was being delivered to the tables looked very good and very apetising.

Big mistake though on my part when I accidentally bumped the chair of the 'lady' behind me as I got up to speak to some other friends. A lot of very angry comments in Mallorquin resulted from this unintended jolt to the 'granny's' chair and despite my profuse apologies, the stern looks did not soften at all. Oh well! Seems like they had not got their normal table this time!

pollensafan 05-07-2013 13:18

Without doubt its a great place to watch the world go by and the locals. My favourite is the guy that comes in every night. He only stops for a couple of minutes and then he's off around the port to visit all the other local bars. ( couple of minutes in each). Why does he stand out?. Cos he is a dead ringer for Frankie howard. (ooh mrs ) he has a brown/black mop of curly hair that's obviously dyed and frankies face. He's been around for years. No matter where we go day or night we always spot him. Makes my day.:) titter ye not .

animagic21 05-07-2013 19:22

I think I know who you mean! Think he's an artist, sits with his drawings opposite the Daina. I enquired about him in Nostalgia a couple of weeks ago. Have begun smiling & saying Hi to him now cos as you say he's here,there & everywhere!! Sorry Sparky, gone a bit off topic!!!

sleepyboaby 09-07-2013 12:55

The guy with the haircut like a burst cushion actually works in a mechanics/car hire garage across from El Pozo.Does the daily pub crawl ordering a glass of red wine in each bar but never finishes his drink.One mouthful and then onto the next bar.He has been doing it for years and is a real character.

Sparky 09-07-2013 13:15

Sleepy i am pretty sure the car hire/garage is closed now, the place was practically falling down :).

Nick 09-07-2013 14:18

I might be wrong but I think I know who you're talking about and they are 2 seperate people?

SENOR CIGAR 09-07-2013 15:37

The man in question was actually the owner of the hire car business opposite El Pozo.

He finally shut the doors on his business about 6 years ago when the last remaining of "his fleet" of very old mk 1 Fiestas failed the annual MOT test. However they were very cheap to rent if not exactly reliable!!

The Senor.