Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Alcudia

Alcudia Any recommendations on places to go, where to eat in the old town, port or Bay of Alcudia

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 21:35

We tried Casa Gallega for Sunday lunch recently and like JMD40 we were disappointed, with presentation,service and quality of food.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-09-2010, 14:05

Do you remember in the old English exams they used to give a question; "To travel hopefully is better than to arrive. Discuss."
Well this sprang to mind after our trip to Restaurant Jardin in Alcudia.

It started off as so much fun trying to find it with son and hubby. I had copied down directions from AK's posts (which were spot on I hasten to add - it was all my fault!)

We decided to find the restaurant and book it for the following evening. My directions said to take the 3rd exit on the left from the Orange Horse roundabout to start with. Well, we approached this flipping roundabout from every exit, and took every exit out of it trying to work out where we were going! I got annoyed with it all first and pretty upset that we would miss out. Then hubby had the bright idea of perhaps it was the Orange KNOT that we should be heading for. Grudgingly I said that we might as well try it - all the while thinking omg, he may actually be right!!

And of course he was. We then found the restaurant with no problem at all. Although it is in a very unusual position for such an up market restaurant and
very unassuming from the outside.
The entrance through the courtyard was delightful though, and after a few calls out to find someone - it was early afternoon - we were able to book for the following evening.

We arrived to be greeted by smiling waitress's, and were shown to our table. A lovely old candelabra was alight standing against the wall, with many old wax drippings giving a lovely feature.
The table was dressed with smart and clean linen, and small aqua coloured glass stones. Service was charming as we had a pre dinner cava, and were given the low down on the menu.

Unfortunately this had been changed from the one we had looked at when we booked, and no longer had the suckling pig on it! They now only do one tasting menu at 65 euros, although I think they also had a childs tasting menu.

The waitress went through the menu and said that if anything did not suit then they would glady replace it. Straight away we asked if we could substitute one of the fish dishes for the suckling pig one. Her smile froze and she hurried away to ask. When she came back she said unfortunately this was not possible, and would we like anything else changed?! That had been one of the dishes that we had been looking forward to, so really nothing else was needed to be changed.

We started off with the salts and olive oil, with a choice of two breads; an olive bread or a tomatoe bread. Very tasty, but the salts disappeared quickly between the three of us and no replacement offered.

Menu

Stewed cauliflower Mallorcan style
Red Prawns croquette
Smoked mahi mahi with vegetables
Creamy rice with sea cucumber
Lobster parmentier with truffle juice
Red mullet with chillie and tomatoes
iberian ham millefeuille with wild mushrooms and garlic
Figs and Mallorcan sweet herbs
Cheese board from the Balearic Islands
Chocolate cake with Gin Xoriguer

All looks very interesting, and it certainly had some unusual flavours in it,... if you managed to keep any of it on your tongue to taste it in the first place!

To say the portions were small is an understatement. It was totally ridiculous.
The red prawns croquette was one small croquette.
Mahi mahi was two tiny slivers of the fish.
Sea cucumber was no bigger than my little finger.
The others were just as laughable and when the figs turned up, well.. we just looked at each other in amazement. The smallest fig you can think of cut into quarters, then you were served ONE of those quarters!!
The cheese BOARD - oh please. Four elongated cubes half the size of my little finger placed as two crosses on a plate which could have held a hundred times more!
Ok, the chocolate cake was small but tasty and the sauce lovely.

In fact I cannot fault the taste of the food at all, but they were constantly bringing the bread round, and I am sure it was because they knew you would be complaining if you hadnt filled up on it rather than relying on the menu.

The evening then was totally ruined by kareoke booming in from a nearby hotel.

I wish they were open in the winter, as maybe an upstairs table, and no hotel opened, and perhaps larger portions, would change my opinion as it does have, without a doubt, the possibility of a wonderful restaurant.
But as it stands, we were disappointed and it certainly was not value for money. I really had hoped to be saying otherwise.
Old 22-09-2010, 12:09

Default Restaurante Satyricon

La creme de la creme (whats the equivalent in Spanish?) for us this trip without a doubt.

This time the weather allowed the raised courtyard to be open for dining, our last visit was at Easter when we sat in the main part of the restaurant.

Beautiful surroundings, and sitting in a different part of the restaurant gives a good alternative view looking into the main part.
They had a cellist and a classical singer in this evening, and the music was superb. Not overpowering at all, but you certainly wanted to listen to the girl's wonderful voice which sent shivers up my arms on more than one occassion, and not becuase I was chilly either! They had classical music as well as more popular styles and songs or just the cello playing from other musicals. Absolutely wonderful.

As was the food and service. The head waitress remembered us from Easter - probably because of the parade where we all got up to take photos!
Each time a course was served, the waitress went through each dish and reminded us exactly what we had ordered and how it had been prepared.
I have kept the receipt for the evening, which is all in Spanish, but will try to roughly translate/remember what the 4 of us had.
4 amuse bouch - cant remember what though.
A sliced duck dish - not a whole one obviously!
Marinated tuna dish - absolutely amazing flavour.
2 lamb dishes - which had been marinated for 24 hours, gorgeous.
a Salteado setas - what was that? I cant remember!
A ravioli Vieriras - really delicious.
Bacalao 2 pil piles - spicy side dishes with very very tasty fish.
2 brownies with ameretto ice cream - say no more!
Carpaccio of pineapple.

That was most of it, along with a bottle of Can Vidalet and the usual water and coffees.

They do have a tasting menu of 8 courses if I remember rightly, and also one of 6, but I cannot remember the price. It was not outrageous though by any means.

Going a la carte though can push prices up as it does everywhere. This restaurant is not cheap, but SO worth it, and I think it is certainly value for money. Our bill came to 230 euros for the 4 of us, and for the quality of food, service, surroundings and entertainment, it comes up trumps for me for a really special night out.
Old 22-09-2010, 12:49
Super Moderator

Bella "Salteados Setas" are sauteed mushrooms .
Old 22-09-2010, 13:20

Thanks Sparky, I just remembered it and was about to edit the post! My daughter had them and I remember her saying how tasty they were. Small and sliced in lovely sauce.
Old 23-09-2010, 10:05

We will have to go for an evening meal next time we are over - it sounds fabulous!! As you say it is the most stunning building imaginable - I was told how much they'd spent on the refurbishment and I can't remember the exact amount but it ran into the millions.

It is open at lunchtimes too serving less elaborate, more snacky and family-oriented dishes. Worth going just to gaze around you in wonderment!
Old 23-09-2010, 11:46

I haven't tried it for a lunch time, although it looks lovely. Sometimes its good to keep a certain restaurant just for evenings and others just for lunch, although the same restaurant can have totally different ambience each time of course.

Check it out on the web link below;

http://www.simplesite.com/PieroRossi/
Old 23-09-2010, 13:06

Thank you for posting your reports Bella. I love your descriptive writing. Haven't been to Restaurant Jardin in Alcudia but I felt I was with you by your description. lol

Think my husband would not be happy with small portion sizes though. I can just see his face now and I would sit in dread of what he might say!!!
Think therefore - one to miss for us!

Keep up the reports Bella -you bring a smile to my face!
Old 23-09-2010, 15:07

No man I know is happy with a small portion eleanor - its always worth the search for a more satisfying one! (Sorry!)
Old 23-09-2010, 16:40

LOL Bella! - say no more!
Old 23-09-2010, 22:21

Question

BD, I am so sorry you didn´t have a good experience at El Jardin especially when there are so many excellent places to choose from, it makes it feel like a wasted evening. However, can you tell me where in Alcudia Satyricon is...OH has no clue either and that must be a first !! LOL. I can feel a nice meal out coming on this weekend and I can´t seem to find directions on the link.

Other than that it will have to be O´Lume for some more of that great fried milk...YUMMY and well done Jaime.
Old 23-09-2010, 22:52

Old town Alcudia. Quickest and easiest directions to start really is to go through main archway in to old town,up the hill and its on the left. Same plaza as the town hall is in but before it!