Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones

Internet, Telephones & Mobile Phones Anything on telephones, mobiles, cybercafes, internet, post etc.

Like Tree263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Deanscroft you must be a mind reader, just going to ask the questions you have just answered!
So just to confirm, if you pay to receive Sky/other subscriptions, you will still be able to see all the stations you pay for and could see before, its only if you are trying to receive the stations free/or unofficially that you can no longer receive them, is that right?
BTW you can receive BBC radio stations via iPlayer I believe!

PS, and if you want to receive freeview you may need a larger dish
I don't think Deanscroft is quite right. The Sky channels moved to the new satellite, but onto the European beam. That means that you may well receive those channels but not the BBC channels which were moved to the UK beam.

It also means that if you were to get a sky box and subscription, you wouldn't suddenly get the BBC channels as they're still on the UK beam. The only way to get the freesat UK beam channels if you now can't get them is to increase the size of your dish. However, there are people more qualified than I to talk about such matters, especially as I'm still sat in the UK and can't test any of the theories out!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2014, 13:13

Thank you Codex - you have answered my question as to which beam Sky has moved its own channels to. So Sky subscribers will still receive the pay channels but not the free ones ie. BBC, ITV, CH4, Ch5 etc. Can anyone here with a Sky subscription confirm that please?
Old 07-02-2014, 14:01

Some people seem to be getting BBC Northern Ireland but no others.
Old 07-02-2014, 14:05
Super Moderator

It all sounds very hit and miss, i am so glad i opted not to pay 700€ for Sky installation when we moved in here. We are quite happy with Spanish TV and satellite.
sws97sdg and Lorenzo like this.
Old 07-02-2014, 14:14

OK I have a friend in Pinaret who reported that he was receiving all channels but some were breaking up. I´ve been and had a look and he has a 1.35m dish. I cleaned up the connections and he now gets everything no problem except the BBC 1 is Northern Ireland. BBC 1 Wales and Scotland are also ok and a couple of the other regions but nothing Midlands or South East. I reckon if I change the cable to a top quality digital satellite cable with no joints and fit gold connectors he will get everything.
Nick and fil6699 like this.
Old 07-02-2014, 18:01

Deasnscroft, forget about the rest, I will be quite happy with just Gold Connectors thank you!
El Gordo likes this.
Old 07-02-2014, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
I reckon if I change the cable to a top quality digital satellite cable with no joints and fit gold connectors he will get everything.
Genuine Webro WF100 or WF 125 would be the best cable at sensible money. (You probably already use it but most don't know about quality low cost cables)

Has anyone else noticed that when Spanish tradesman install satellite dishes they don't usually bother to waterproof the connector on the dish?

All it needs is a bit of self amalgamating tape to provide years of trouble free service, water in F connectors is not good for weak signals. Only about £3 for a reel that lasts a DIY user a lifetime.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=se...=isch&imgdii=_
-
Old 07-02-2014, 21:39
Banned

My head is hurting.......... : - )

You are dead right about waterproofing the connections. Our community have had to call out engineers several times with water getting into them.

We have enormous satellite dishes on our four storey high community roof so will be interesting to see what we get when next out. Fingers crossed for Sky Sports News and CBBC!!

Old 07-02-2014, 23:19

Silicon grease should also be used to prevent corrosion and drive out damp
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52

A quick question, I have 3mb internet in my apartment and was wondering about installing an IPTV box to receive programmes. Has anyone any experience of this type of installation?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08

Hi Papillon

I have just changed my phoneline and mobile over to Movistar and as part of the deal I have internet television free four months. I didn´t really want it but let them put it in just to see what it is like. I must admit to being seriously impressed with the quality. On a 32 inch screen the picture is just as good as normal telly (but not HD). I have about 4mb and have had no problem with it freezing. The guy who put it in said he had turned the speed down (it was 6mb) as (providing it is more than 2mb) it is better that it is smooth and steady rather than fast and spikey.
Old 09-02-2014, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
A quick question, I have 3mb internet in my apartment and was wondering about installing an IPTV box to receive programmes. Has anyone any experience of this type of installation?
We use a "Slingbox" connected to our sky box in the UK. We can then control the box over the internet and receive anything that the box delivers including stored programmes. You need at least 1.5Mb for a decent picture so 3Mb would be fine. In Alcanada we receive the internet signal via a laptop connected to our TV with an HDMI cable. If you would like iplayer then you would need a VPN connection.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:16

Thanks for the feedback, I am out in April so will check out the options. My only concern is the speed of the internet if it becomes the main source of TV for many in the area. I have a wireless link up to the aerial in Alcudia so hopefully that is connected by fibre optic cable and won't suffer too much degradation at peak times.
It seems like I either need a new Smart TV or the small decoder that connects via HDMI cable.
Old 10-02-2014, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I am out in April so will check out the options. My only concern is the speed of the internet if it becomes the main source of TV for many in the area. I have a wireless link up to the aerial in Alcudia so hopefully that is connected by fibre optic cable and won't suffer too much degradation at peak times.
It seems like I either need a new Smart TV or the small decoder that connects via HDMI cable.
If you use a smart TV you will still need to go through a VPN for BBC channels as your IP address will show you are outside UK and you will not be able to access them.
The advantage of the Slingbox is that it is a one off cost (about £100) and no monthly charges like VPN. Since the Slingbox is based in the UK there is no problem accessing BBC channels. Internet speed is critical though, you need at least 2Mb.
Old 10-02-2014, 20:52

Lets Hope a bigger dish will fix the problem . I for one am waiting for the dust to settle then will talk to the experts re Satellite installations we have some good ones in the Port. remember one thing the Internet TV company,s have been loving this and scare mongering for a while now to get you to buy equipment and take out subscriptions don't all panic