Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Wine and More Wine (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/wine-more-wine/)
-   -   Good reds, where to buy? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/wine-more-wine/4572-good-reds-where-buy.html)

liz d 26-04-2009 17:13

Good reds, where to buy?

I would like to try a few good Mallorcan reds whilst in PP in a couple of weeks, in particular, i fancy trying the Anima Negre and 2005 and the Jaume Mesquida Negre, both recommended in earlier threads.

Does anyone know an average price to pay and which shops are stocking these wines in PP at the mo?

Any other suggestions for good reds to try whist there?

Many thanks

Liz

JH02JLH 26-04-2009 18:01

Hi Liz

I always found the delicatessen, Ensenat, in the old town a great place to buy local wines - they had a fantastic choice and although you would probably pay slightly more than Eroski, the choice more than made up for it.

I've just found my daughter's scrapbook from August 2008. Here are some wine prices:

Ca'l Lloro - bottle of Mortitx (red) 17,50
El Temple - bottle of Son Bordils Negre (red) 18,62
Eroski - bottle of Cava demi-sec 2,95
Eroski - bottle of Mont Ferrutx (red) 6,98
Ca'n Pacienci - bottle of Sangre de Toro (red) 13,00
Mercadona, Alcudia - bottle of Torres Casta Rosado 3,90
Ca'n Costa - bottle of Son Bordils Syrah (red) 29,90

Perhaps someone there at the moment can give up to date prices. I can also recommend the two Son Bordils wines I mentioned above. Both were delicious!

liz d 26-04-2009 18:56

Thanks Jane, i'll look for the Ensenat deli when i'm in Pollensa, is it easy to find? I was really hoping to find a stockist in the port. I have bought wine in Dover (quiet good small selection) and voramor supermarket but havn't been able to find the two i mentioned. Thankyou for your recommendations too. I will look out for them.:D

Gommar Goffer 26-04-2009 19:05

Hi Liz - as Jane says Ensenat is a graet place fo mallorquin wines - from memory the AN is about 35 euros a bottle :eek:

Also check out the post about this years wine fair - I will be listing many others to try.

Also take a trip out to C'an Vidalet just outside the old town. There is a link to their website on here somewhere - I will try and find it for you

GG

pollensa 26-04-2009 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer (Post 29817)
Also take a trip out to C'an Vidalet just outside the old town. There is a link to their website on here somewhere

See them on our excursion page Excursions & Water parks in Majorca Mallorca - we fancy a trip there too after trying the wines today.

sws97sdg 26-04-2009 19:20

Thanks for the prices Jane, is your daughter taking on the family mantel of wine expert?

JH02JLH 26-04-2009 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz d (Post 29816)
Thanks Jane, i'll look for the Ensenat deli when i'm in Pollensa, is it easy to find? I was really hoping to find a stockist in the port. I have bought wine in Dover (quiet good small selection) and voramor supermarket but havn't been able to find the two i mentioned. Thankyou for your recommendations too. I will look out for them.:D

Hopefully, sws!!

Liz - the deli is very easy to find. From the main square with the huge church, go down the steps and then take the alley to the left of Il Giardino (if you are facing it). Walk along the length of this street and Ensenat is at the end on the left, just before you get to a road and the taxi rank. There is a very good pharmacy on the corner.

liz d 26-04-2009 20:52

Jane :- Thanks for the directions, i must have walked past it several times!

Gordon:- Thanks for your tips, C'an Vidalet looks great, but i won't have a car on this trip, so maybe next time. i'll make a note of your selections too.

Happy wine drinking!
Liz

Lala70w 27-04-2009 12:55

Ensenat is fab!!!! It's a lovely wee place for a wander around but don't look in the butcher's case if you are sqeamish. There are skinned rabbits complete with heads on! :eek: Nice selection of olives etc.

They seem more than happy to pop open a bottle and pour you a generous glass of wine to taste. We left a bit squiffy after "tasting" cava last year. :o

BUT I would compare prices before you part with your cash as sometimes the supermarkets have offers on - although obviously you don't get the same choice.

Personally, I avoid Dover as I think overpriced. I am always suspicious of places which fastidiously remove your price label on a bottle of spirits...:rolleyes:

liz d 27-04-2009 19:34

Good wine, nice olives and just around the corner from il gardino bakery? I feel a fantastic picnic coming on...................:D

Major Tom 29-04-2009 08:47

On my return from PP I purchased 2 bottles of Faustino I at Heathrow
for £20, a lot cheaper than supermarkets at 18 euro for 1 bottle and Palma
airport 14 euro, why the price difference ?

pollensafan 01-05-2009 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by plackeyman (Post 29889)
On my return from PP I purchased 2 bottles of Faustino I at Heathrow
for £20, a lot cheaper than supermarkets at 18 euro for 1 bottle and Palma
airport 14 euro, why the price difference ?

I've mentioned this before and i think it all comes down to the euro. I can buy Beberana Reserver and campo Viejo at home on a regular basis at £3.99 . Who ever thought you see the day!!. Not me and thats for sure.:):)

sws97sdg 01-05-2009 19:25

Hi Pollensafan, please tell me where you can buy Campo Viejo for £3.99, buy it at Asda for £5.99?

pollensafan 03-05-2009 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by sws97sdg (Post 29948)
Hi Pollensafan, please tell me where you can buy Campo Viejo for £3.99, buy it at Asda for £5.99?

Hi, I use Tesco wine direct on line. It comes up on offer every few weeks. I'll probabaly get reprimanded in a moment as i've gone away from the original topic but if you would indulge me a moment longer i must mention to anyone that enjoys a good ros'e wine, then you should try tescos Stork's Tower rosado from the Leon region of spain it's without doubt one of the finest i have ever tasted and i've tried them all over the years and before anyone suggest's it No i don't work for tescos.

BonysLad 04-05-2009 17:44

Liz,

If you haven't got a car can I suggest you walk up past the Halifax near the Cafe Refugi. There is a small deli called Casa Aguilar, athough they are predominantly wholesalers they do have an interesting selection of reds from 4 euros to well over 300. Nice people, they'll probably slice you a bit of good serrano/iberian ham whilst your looking too !!!!

BonysLad :)