Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Wine and More Wine

Wine and More Wine A forum hosted by Jane to teach us about the finer things in life...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-2008, 14:47

Default And finally...... a good white wine!

After 5 years living here I have always been disppointed with Spanish white wine and have tried many types at all price levels.

Finally I have found one which matches the crisp sauvigon blancs of France and does not have the astringency found with most spanish whites.

It is Castillo de Liria and can be found at Alcampo for €1.45. It is a blend of Viura and Sauvignon, and we have tried the 2006 and 2007 both of which are good. (Alcampo also sell a Castillo de Liria medium white, which is for the sweet tooths only, so be careful which bottle you oick off the shelf)

Don´t let the price out you off. It is better than anything at ten times the price, It is a wine for drinking on it's own. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Old 25-08-2008, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
After 5 years living here I have always been disppointed with Spanish white wine and have tried many types at all price levels.

Finally I have found one which matches the crisp sauvigon blancs of France and does not have the astringency found with most spanish whites.

It is Castillo de Liria and can be found at Alcampo for €1.45. It is a blend of Viura and Sauvignon, and we have tried the 2006 and 2007 both of which are good. (Alcampo also sell a Castillo de Liria medium white, which is for the sweet tooths only, so be careful which bottle you oick off the shelf)

Don´t let the price out you off. It is better than anything at ten times the price, It is a wine for drinking on it's own. Enjoy!
You can find it quite cheaply in the UK in Morrisons.
Old 11-10-2008, 23:29

A great Spanish wine that i have come across is a white wine from M&S called LA BASCA selling at £5.99.The after taste of tangerines and lemons is worth the admission money alone!!
Old 11-10-2008, 23:30

P.S. I forgot to add that LA BASCA is a white wine ENJOY
Old 19-10-2008, 13:12

I have missed this post in the past but how can you say that there are no or few good Spanish white wines!

I am stunned...

Campo Viejo Viura, Vina Sol, Macia Batle, too many Riojas to mention, etc.. I suppose ultimately it does depend what type of white you like - I like really dry, crisp whites, which I find that the Spanish do really well.
Old 19-10-2008, 13:59
Super Moderator

Cocoa i agree totally, hubby and i only drink white wine and we have had some superb one's in PP, especially the Mallorcan.
Old 26-02-2009, 03:21
Under Moderation

The Macie batle blanc de blanc is extremely good. I also love their marketing. It do not turn red at 40 degrees.
Old 22-06-2009, 16:02

Default Wines

I have found that the range called Conde Caralt are quite good, not expensive, but nice. We have tried white, rose and red and enjoyed all of them.
Old 24-06-2009, 16:35

Ca'n Vidalet is a really excellent Chardonnay - absolutely no astringency - and it's from - guess where? - yes, Pollenca! You have to try it. Unfortunately they only ship it to the UK in small quantities and it has sold out this year... they recommended it to us in La Llonja and we were not disappointed.
Old 25-06-2009, 15:47

Is the Ca'n Vidalet from the vinyard between Alcudia / pollenca. The one you can take a trip around?
Old 25-06-2009, 17:27

That's the one! I haven't been there but fully intend to - sounds like the perfect afternoon out! I have a feeling you have to book the tastings in advance but they have a website with contact details.
Old 25-06-2009, 18:07

We add aqua con gas to our white wine as it makes it a very pleasent thirst
quenching drink, ideal for lunch time, we hope you give it a try.
Out in PP for July and will check out the wines on offer..
Old 25-06-2009, 18:49
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad View Post
Is the Ca'n Vidalet from the vinyard between Alcudia / pollenca. The one you can take a trip around?
See Bodegas Can Vidalet for more info.
Old 25-06-2009, 22:02

This is only my second post, after looking at the forum religiously for some years and visiting Pollensa for about 20 years, so here goes.
Whilst out in PP recently I had the good fortune to eat at Brisas Marina. To go with my 'fishy' main course I asked for a recommendation for a decent dry white wine.
I (we, the wife and I) had a bottle of Reimat Chardonnay, a Spanish dry white which was very, very good.
On my return I looked it up on the 'Web'. Odd Bins had about six recommendations for Reimat, all giving it 5 out of 5. It had comments such as 'why didn't someone recommend this excellent wine before'. In Brisa it was about 12 / 14 Euros a bottle if I remember rightly. In 'Eroski' it was about half this, cannot remember the exact price but it is very drinkable. Later in the week had a bottle of Reimat Rosado in La Llonja at a similar price to B.Marina, again very good. Try it!
Old 26-06-2009, 10:35

Raimat has always been reliable, however when in Rome.....

GG