Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Wine and More Wine

Wine and More Wine A forum hosted by Jane to teach us about the finer things in life...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43

Default Another one to visit!

From todays Daily Bulletin.

PASSIONATE ABOUT MAJORCA WINE
THERE’S only so much sun, swimming and beach you can take. Thus when a friend appeared ready to take me on a magical mystery tour, I was excited to break free from routine. The beauty of Majorca lies in the ability to travel within fractions of an hour to a variety of landscapes from dramatic craggy cliffs to miles of white sands and turquoise seas. Indeed within minutes of heading out of Palma towards Santa Maria we were thrust into rural inner Majorca: country roads flanked by ancient stone walls, trees shading sheep and paths to hidden fincas. Little seemed to have outwardly changed since the donkey and cart. We branched off towards Sencelles (exit 12) where we mysteriously followed a path to a courtyard and stopped. Stepping out into the rural setting I was immediately struck by the silence. Breathing in the heart of Majorca, I suddenly had déjà vu. Memories of countryside outside Cape Town in South Africa. We had stopped at Stellenboch, surrounded by vineyards enjoying the same tranquillity and landscape. I was delighted to spot that we were indeed at a winery. Angel: one of Majorca’s youngest and successful Bodegas.

The success I soon learned was down to the enthusiasm and passion of the young owner. Only child to a British mother and Majorcan father, Andres Gelabert has travelled the world in style. Having been highly educated as the all American boy in Texas, Andres could have followed any path he chose; yet only now aged 33 is he living his dream. As he opens his door in welcome, by his side his beautiful wife Laura (must be something in the name) carrying a gorgeous smiling baby, for a moment I feel I have stepped into the set of the Waltons.

He leads us from his home to the working area of his winery, where taking in the splendour of the view we receive much appreciated refreshments: a perfectly chilled white wine with a plate of pa’amb oli. Meanwhile Andres explained with great fervour the details of his dream. “We have 21 hectares planted with a mixture of around 8 varieties of French and Majorcan grapes, so that I can form a unique blend, something different. However, I go to great lengths to ensure as much as possible is from Majorca; all the wood and stonework. The huge impressive wooden doors taken from another finca and lovingly restored like a jig-saw.

His extensive knowledge of wine is impressive and I soon realise this is not a hobby but a deep rooted passion. My aim is quality at affordable prices.” Starting only two years ago, sensibly he has kept his operation simple. Just a range of 3 wines a year: red, white and rose. Fortunately, I had previously sampled the excellent rose (with its hint of pink grapefruit) as it is now sold out for the year. “It’s a shame as I’ve just put the phone down to someone wanting 10 cases for a party and have had to refuse other good orders as there simply isn’t any more. It’s good that it’s so popular, but unfortunate we can’t meet demand. At least we now know to increase production for next year.” His enthusiasm is contagious and I can’t wait to be shown the workings of the Bodegas. Formerly just happy to open a bottle of vino and glug, I learn much during the tour (also suitable for older inquisitive children).

The shiny state-of-the-art machinery secreted behind old rustic Majorcan doors is remarkable and Andres explains all from pressing (red wine barrelled to ferment with grape skins on while white and rose wine sieved and barrelled without) to the taste imparted by various barrels. Seen one barrel you’ve seen them all I thought: But no it seems the oak has to come from certain regions to accomplish the correct nuance to excite the taste buds. Even size matters. I met Eva who works daily in the laboratory, testing and ensuring all is perfect.

Certainly, all bottles bought were ranked highly amongst my knowledgeable wine-sipping friends: the red, fruity and full bodied; the white excellent holding a slight tang of pineapple. “The grapes were good last year and 2010 look in excellent shape for harvesting at the end of August” enthused Andres. “Visitors are welcome to pop by, but if they call in advance for an appointment we can organise some pa’amb oli to accompany the wine, together with a tour for a small charge.” (Bodegas Angel, viñedos en Mallorca, España 971 621 638) Enjoy!