Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Wine and More Wine

Wine and More Wine A forum hosted by Jane to teach us about the finer things in life...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:09

Default Jaume Mesquida Negre 2005

Rare appearance by me on the wine pages but read in the local paper that the Jaume Mesquida Negre 2005 had been awarded 90 points in the latest ratings of Amercan wine guru Robert Parker. Amazing for a wine which only costs 8.30 Euros per bottle.

Interested by this so Bonyladette and I took a trip down to Porreres the other day where they have an outlet. Not exactly the full Bodegas but you can taste all their selections ( well recommended for a little trip out).

Think the world was onto it cos no large bottles still available but managed to grab six 50 cl bottles. Amazing stuff.

BonysLad
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 11:38

That is an achievement! Robert Parker's scores are held in the highest esteem and only confirms what I have always thought about Mallorcan wine - that it can rightfully hold its place amongst the top wines of the world!

My ex-boss loved what I brought home one year and said he would gladly stock it - the only problem being the export charges and persuading a fickle public to give it a try.

I can't wait to open a bottle or two (!) on the terrace of our villa in August!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09

Default Jaume Mesquda

Yes, but........have you tried the Rosat de Rosa? (Their Rosado)

It's won medals all over the place and is the perfect summer drink.
It's a really fruity rosado with a slightly spicy taste.

I first found it at the Pollensa Wine Festival a few years ago. They were desperately holding-on to their last few bottles on the Saturday, as it was proving so popular. They totally sold out early on the Sunday.
At the time the wine had just won a silver medal. By the time I got to Porreres to buy a case, it had won a gold medal!

Have a look at their web site: www.jaumemesquida.com

Cheers!

Frito.

Last edited by frito; 03-05-2008 at 09:15.
Old 08-05-2008, 18:08

The finest wine in Majorca, bar none, absolutely outstanding, although I don't need Robert Parker to tell me that!

Unfortunately, the Jaume Mesquida Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon, which we had at Stay last month both cost rather more than 8.30 euros.
Old 08-05-2008, 19:05

In actual fact, thinking about this topic, why stop at Majorca. Jaume Mesquida wines are some of the best in Spain, and Spanish wines just do not get the appreciation they deserve. Go into any UK supermarket and the choice of Spanish wines is pitiful compared to those from France, Australia, South Africa, Chile etc. etc.

Admittedly, there are quite a few reds available, although the majority are of the very heavy, oaked variety from Rioja, but as for the whites, two or three different if you're lucky and one of those will be Torres from Penedes, (there's nothing wrong with this, it's very good, but sometimes one likes to try something different)

Tesco have recently introduced a new Albarino from Rias Baixas and a Verdejo from Rueda, both for about £6 a bottle, and both are absolutely superb, but I wonder if they're still be available this time next year. They haven't been promoted at all, and from my limited information talking to our local Tesco wine chappie, are not selling particularly well. The Rueda in particular, is as good as any New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, but just doesn't get the same plaudits. A quick look at the Majestic web site, (a great company with some brilliant wines) tells me that they offer 149 French Whites, 25 from New Zealand, 23 from Italy and 11 from Spain.

Next time any of you are browsing the wine aisles of your local supermarket, have a look at the availability of Spanish wines, and perhaps more importantly, see how many are being put into shopping trolleys, compared to Jacobs Creek, Kumala, Hardys etc. Perhaps we should all make an effort this weekend and drink Spanish!!
Old 31-08-2008, 13:11

Default Absolutely delicious!

I was extremely lucky to be given a bottle of the Jaume Mesquida Negre 2005 and wow! Robert Parker was spot-on!

I poured the wine into a special big glass I have and the nose of the wine hit me at first - it was so fruity and intense.

On tasting, it reminded me of a very good Southern Rhone wine -Chateauneuf-du-Pape, or Gigondas. It is a beautiful wine with amazing flavours of berry fruits and is rich and full-bodied. There were no hint of any drying tannins, just lots of delicious flavours and as you can imagine, the bottle disappeared rapidly!

I've just had a look at the website and they have promised that soon there will be the opportunity to buy online which is great if they can deliver to the UK.

If anyone spots a bottle - then grab it quick!

Jane
Old 01-09-2008, 07:19

Default Jaume Mesquda Wines

Eroski on the island are now stocking some Jaume Mesquida wines!

Keep your eyes open.

Cheers!

Zapper
Old 03-09-2008, 07:13

Have a look at Vinissimus: Comprar vino online - Venta de vinos de España y resto del mundo. They deliver world-wide. Charge about 3 euros per bottle if you buy a case. They certainly have a brilliant selection of Spanish wines.
Old 18-09-2008, 18:52

Is Jaume Mesquida Negre 2005 available in puerto pollensa anywhere? (shops rather than restaurants)?

I agree that the majority of wines we buy in Majorca, wether spanish or Mallorcan are good, but i have been a bit lost when looking for something really fantastic. I am happy to pay about ten euros (or less!!)?

I am a red drinker

Last edited by liz d; 18-09-2008 at 18:56. Reason: red wine not white wine!!
Old 29-12-2008, 08:43
Banned

Thanks for sharing information