Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Wine and More Wine

Wine and More Wine A forum hosted by Jane to teach us about the finer things in life...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 5 Post By pinewalker
  • 1 Post By copper
  • 2 Post By car77
  • 2 Post By Gommar Goffer
  • 5 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By scotslizzy
  • 1 Post By jonquet
  • 1 Post By scotslizzy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 10:03

Default Whats the latest on white wines to try

Coming over on the 17th June for 12 night and need to try some different wines this year to avoid always ordering the usual Albarino. Not that I will abandon this one but want to try some new ones preferably local but not exclusively so.

Any suggestions please, oh and also a decent Cava for the apartment whilst I take in the se views !

Cheers

Scotslizzy
Sponsored Links
Old 30-05-2017, 10:39
Super Moderator

I love Albarino but Verdejo is even better. If you go to La Vall the Bicicletas y Peces Verdejo is fab and in No.31 the house white is a really good Verdejo and only 10.50€ a bottle, also love the Pinot Grigio Blush in Casa Vila, it's not white but a very pale rose .
El Gordo likes this.
Old 30-05-2017, 15:51

Default Thanks Sparky

I have read some reports about no 31 and as they serve the new (to me ) wine mentioned then that's me sorted .

Is this wine widely available in restaurants and supermarket's in PP?

Cheers

Scotslizzy
Old 30-05-2017, 16:19
Super Moderator

Yes i think most restaurants will offer at least one Verdejo, i can't speak for supermarkets though, we don't usually drink at home .
Old 30-05-2017, 20:21

Default Whats the latest on white wines to try

If you would like an alternative to Albarino, then look for another dry white called Godello. Like Albarino, it’s from Galicia in the far north of Spain, but from Monterrei as opposed to Rias Baixas. Personally, I think this is Spain’s best white wine, perhaps a little drier than Albarino and I think one could compare it to a good Chablis.

To concur with Sparky, the Verdejo from Rueda is also superb, but I think the Galician wines just have the edge. They are however, a little more expensive, and in the case of Godello, not that widely available, although I imagine most restaurants would stock at least one example.

Good to see you intend to try some new local wines, this for me is one of the great joys of spending time in PP. Whilst Albarino and Verdejo whites can be picked up from any supermarket in the UK now, that’s certainly not the case with Mallorcan wine, (Marks & Spencer have been known to sell one of the Macia Batle reds, and while it’s good, I don’t think it warrants the £12 odd price they charge for it).

I’m sure you have already sampled a few of these local wines, but I don’t often come across one that disappoints. I think all the local restaurants now sell a fair few, Stay and La Llonja both have a wide choice, (Mortix, which is from Pollenca, Veritas, Ses Nines and Nounat are all excellent, although again they can be somewhat expensive).

Stairway To Heaven, which is a Sauvignon Blanc is worth a try, and they now have this at Maxims, and El Posito, (as one would expect) and Brisa Marina also have a good local selection.

Regarding Cava, I think generally, the more you pay, the better the wine, but I’ve often had a bottle from the supermarket for 5 or 6 euros, with no complaints, (just serve it really cold!). Again, all of the larger supermarkets have a pretty impressive range of Spanish wines these days, I’m always spoilt for choice when browsing.
LK1960, mike_dublin, car77 and 2 others like this.
Old 30-05-2017, 21:21

This is really interesting for us and we have over the last few years drank more Spanish wines and less of everyone elses !

My husband worked for a French company for many years so knows a lot about French wines but now we drink very little French wine

We were introduced to Emilio Mouro and Baron de Ley in PP and now they are popular wines for us

Will be trying a few you mention above
Tommo likes this.
Old 30-05-2017, 21:39

I have to say that none of the Mallorcan wines have ever disappointed. I always look for one in every restaurant we visit as I love supporting the Islands wines. Plus they're gorgeous so its no hardship!

Car77
sws97sdg and Tommo like this.
Old 31-05-2017, 10:25

The Verdejo is the Spanish answer to Sauvignon Blanc. White Riojas are normally made from the Viura grape ans are crisp and dry in general.

Try the Majorcan whites made from Premsal Blanc and Moll (indigenous grape varieties to the island and quite fruity. Macia Batle Blanc de Blanc is a good example

Another to try are the Basque whites made from the Txakoli grape - dry and light sometimes with a slight petillance.

In respect to the pricing of Mallorcan wines in the UK the £12 mark is very reasonable. The cost price of these wines is around 5-6 euros or so about £4.35. Add on the UK excise duty (now £2.16 a bottle) and shipping (very expensive from the island) and then a reasonable profit margin for the retailer and add VAT you will come to a figure of around £13.50 or more
mike_dublin and Tommo like this.
Old 31-05-2017, 10:46
Super Moderator

I like Macia Batle Blanc de Blanc and Ca'n Vidalet but they can be a bit heavy on alcohol or maybe i am becoming a bit of a light weight in my old age .
Old 31-05-2017, 13:24

Default Thank you all

I will look out for those mentioned and I have tried stairway to Heaven and Macia Batle . Both lovely but because we are staying longer this time I am determined to be a bit more adventurous this time and likewise with our choice of restaurants!!

Godello sound intriguing .

La Vall and no 31 for definite .

I will print this page off to remind me when I get there and not to just automatically order our usual wines.
Thanks so much

Scotslizzy
Sparky likes this.
Old 31-05-2017, 19:15

Its only right and proper to drink Mallorcan wine whilst on the island, dont you think??
Mortix Blanc is my choice, being from just up the road. But if you want to try a mainland white, Torres Vina Esmarelda is full of citrus,hedgerow,spring flowers, all the pretencious words that get used, but full of flavour.
Think ive been too clever and spelt that wrong!!
LK1960 likes this.
Old 31-05-2017, 21:41

I shall second your vote on Mortitx. One of my favourites too.

A few bottles shall be consumed by me in the next few weeks!

Loving the use of the word "Hedgerow"!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:32

Default Verdejo

Well I tried not to pick my usual Albarino on this last visit out and it worked!

I did not have the same Verdjeo each time obviously but never once did we not enjoy the wines offered. El Posito had a number of choices and very reasonably priced.

We also tried one bottle of Godello in la Lonja but this time only I really enjoyed it .The others thought it was a little too dry.

We also bought wine for the apartment from a lovely shop called Cabernet . Great selections of wines and for a change we got marques de Vizhoja .

Great holiday as usual and will complete restaurant review next.

Scotslizzy
Sparky likes this.
Old 02-07-2017, 20:52

Whilst we were in PP the last two weeks if Debs had agreed to have white wine it would usually be the Mortitx. A really nice Mallorcan crisp dry wine not too dissimilar ( IMHO ) to sauvignon blanc. We tended to pay around 19 euros for a bottle of this and when you consider the supermarkets sell it for just over 10 euros it is a decent price.