Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Wine and More Wine

Wine and More Wine A forum hosted by Jane to teach us about the finer things in life...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-05-2005, 23:20

Default Buying wine in PP

Whilst in PP this week, we did some extensive research in the local shops and supermarkets and also tasted some lovely wines in the restaurants.

Of all the places we shopped we found Caprabo the best by far for value for money and choice.

Caprabo is on the roundabout as you come into PP and has an underground car-park.

The wines occupy one long aisle and the cheaper wines are found on the bottom shelf. I would avoid these and instead concentrate on the 2nd and 3rd shelves up which are full of good value wines for everyday drinking. I wasn't able to note down prices as there was a member of staff in the aisle and I thought I'd look a bit suspicious, but none of the wines were over 8 euros and I noticed one in particular that is stocked by my boss.

It's called Pata Negra and it's from Valdepenas and was selling for about 6 euros. It's a really good red, certainly good enough to rival a Rioja at the same price and one I can really recommend. In the shop we sell it for almost £9.00.

There was a good choice of Mallorcan wines, including Macia Batle, Miquel Oliver and Pere Seda. I also noticed a good Cava - Freixenet for about 4 euros. The previous day we'd bought a cold bottle of the same wine in the Supermarket Llenaire for 8.95 euros to take back to our room, so we felt a bit miffed!

There was also a good choice of all the usual names that get mentioned on the forum - Torres Coronas, Marques de Caceres, etc so I know where I'll be in August! Stock up here!

We also visited Mir in PP (just by the roundabout near the port) and were fascinated by what we found. If anyone is looking for a very old bottle of wine, you'll find it here!

The wines are on the top floor so it's very warm but we found an extensive choice of Mallorcan wines and wines from Spain in general. It's a real Aladdin's cave up here and I was astonished to find Riojas from 1928, 1964, 1968 and 1969. Heaven knows what they're like but they're probably undrinkable. Some of them were selling for 149 euros!

Anyway, wines of note were:

Jaume de Puntiro at 9.95 euros
Miquel Oliver Muscat at 8.95 euros
Son Bordils Cabernet Sauvignon at 13.95 euros
Son Bordils Syrah at 13.95 euros (we paid 30 euros at Ca'n Costa for this and Macia Batle Blanc des Blancs at 8.95 euros

We also saw a rose Jaume de Puntiro but I'm sorry I can't remember what the price was - not expensive anyway.

Bear in mind that Mir can be more expensive than other shops but for choice, it would take a lot to beat!

We also found a shop called Dover which was a bit like Mir only on one floor! Great choice of spirits, wines and cigarettes - hubby bought 400 Benson and Hedges for a drinking mate at the pub and they were cheaper than the Duty Free at Palma airport.

Wines included Mont Ferrutx at 5.95 euros, Jose Ferrer Reserva at 16.65 euros and Macia Batle at 6.15 euros

Dover is one street behind the Pine Walk opposite Tango.

Happy drinking!!
Jane

PS - All prices were correct week beginning May 16, 2005.
Sponsored Links