Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Wine and More Wine

Wine and More Wine A forum hosted by Jane to teach us about the finer things in life...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005, 00:20

Default Summertime....and the drinking is easy!!

Now that summer seems to have finally arrived (watch as the temperatures drop now I've said that!) it's time for some summer drinks!!

In the hotter months I tend to choose lighter reds, roses and whites to cope with the heat and the summer foods.

Yesterday in the shop, my boss asked us to try a chilled red wine from central France (it' not widely available so I won't advertise it).

Yes! A chilled red! (In the fridge, not on it, Rob!!!)

The wine was made from the Gamay grape which is the same grape as Beaujolais and is perfect for summer drinking. If you're not keen on rose wine, these should please! Don't be put off by "Beaujolais" either, the Beaujolais Villages wines are lovely, light and fruity and don't really have anything to do with Beaujolais Nouveau. Good ones are Julienas, Moulin a Vent and Fleurie.

Also look out for Pinot Noir and Loire reds which can be chillled lightly for about half an hour.

There are a lot of rose wines about at the moment and I would try those from Southern France and the Languedoc in particular. There were lots of Rose wines available in PP, especially in Caprabo, so bung them in the basket! And don't forget the forum favourite - Torres de Casta which is fab with BBQs and tapas.

If you fancy a change from Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc you could always try Viognier. It's a lovely peachy/apricot wine that goes well with lighter summer salads. Good examples are from the Northern Rhone in France or California.

I found these recipes for cocktails on "ivillage" and they are perfect for summer parties and BBQs:

Sangria - makes about 18 glasses

2 bottles of chilled inexpensive red wine
Half a tumbler of brandy or fruit-based liqueur (cointreau would be great)
1 bottle of soda water or sparkling mineral water
Sliced fruit.

Combine all ingredients and enjoy!

Sinking Sun - makes 1 glass

1 can chilled sweet or dry cider
Half a tumbler of whisky:b
Strip of lemon peel
Crushed ice

Mix and enjoy!

Rose cup - makes about 12 glasses

2 bottles of Rose wine
Half a tumbler of Southern Comfort
450ml Tonic water
Mandarins, clementines or tangerines peeled and segmented

Mix together and enjoy.

If you would like the drink sweeter, either add clear honey or canned mandarins, etc with syrup.

If anyone has any other recipes for summer cocktails or has a variation on the above, let me know!!

I hope you all have a fantastic summer, wherever you are!!

Jane
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2005, 02:23
Founder

I'm afraid I always do as the Spanish do & have a 'tinto de verano' (summer red) & mix it with lemonade. You often get this with the Menu del Dia - a bottle of red or rose plus a bottle of lemonade - simple!:rollin
Old 10-06-2005, 04:05

Hello Pollensa,

Don't be afraid, sounds good to me!

When we were in El Posito we noticed the locals mixing the house red with water at lunchtime.

I think I prefer lemonade!

Regards
Jane
Old 10-06-2005, 05:44
depplass

Hey Jane

Yes its me - Lesley, aka depplass. I dont know if I am in the right area, but here I am anyway. Just read your message and find myself very envious of your beautiful weather. I am freezing to death!

Speak soon

Lesley
Old 10-06-2005, 23:14
PennyWhite

Default Summer drinking

The cocktail recipes sound fab, just bring on the sun!
In the summer we are very partial to Torres Vina Sol, very drinkable and cheap, on its own or as a Kir or a spritzer
oops here is Tesco with another load!
Old 10-06-2005, 23:18

Default Re: Summer drinking

Hello Penny

I love Kir in the summer as well - it's delicious made with Cava and creme de cassis.

Have you ever tried Cava (or any sparkling wine) with peach schnapps?

I will look out more cocktail recipes and post them here!

Of course today has been cloudy and cool in Northamptonshire!

Typical!

Regards
Jane
Old 10-06-2005, 23:29
PennyWhite

Default Summer drinking

We are in Cheshire where the sun looks as if it might make a late appearance today, so the Vina Sol has been put straight into the fridge!
Thanks for all the supermarket advice too, will report back on what we find when we return end of July.
Three weeks tomorrow, can hardly wait. Can hardly wait also for the end of A levels and GCSEs which are also going on in this house (hence non stop supply of vino to keep parents sane).
Have a great holiday yourself, you sound as if you are an 'old hand'.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:34
robjay

Ok so I tried to follow your Sangria recipe got to the two bottles of cheap wine.(1:99 at Aldi's). Check!. that's the ones on top of the fridge ( shaken not chilled). Do you know how difficult this is to do for a man?.
Hang on a tumbler full of brandy. not got that, to heck it'll taste the same.
Soda water? got some flat lemonade will that do? Nah the mold on top is too thick to use.
Fruit? will tinned fruit cocktail do?. Oh no the kids have eaten that tin.
ice did you say ice?. none.
Ah well into the jug it goes.
Hang on here how on earth is there enough for 18 glasses in this jug?.
OK Jane I'll count each glass out.
This Sangria stuff just tastes like cheap wine!.
Take care from another "old hand"
Rob x
Old 12-06-2005, 15:39

Hello Rob!!

So sorry it didn't turn out how you expected!!:rollin

Think it needs a woman's touch!

Thanks for such a funny post! I bought a bottle of creme de cassis in Tesco to add to my cava to make a kir royale.

Next time we find ourselves in the chatroom together I'll send you some down the line.

Beats hot chocolate any day!!

Regards
Jane
Old 13-06-2005, 18:36
robjay

Sounds like we have the makings of a good night in the chat room:rollin .
Maybe I need to invite you round next time we have a barbecue8) . I'll cook and you can mix us some of your cocktails :rollin . but you can only serve your cocktails after we have "tested" them to ensure they are of the highest standard before anyone else should be allowed to try them How does that sound to you?:rollin
So when is our first cyber tasting session?:b :rollin
so looking forward to lots more of your cocktails.
Take care
Rob
Old 19-06-2005, 17:23

It's so good when you see eminent wine writers following your lead - and Matthew Jukes must be a fan of the PP forum!!!

In all seriousness, though, these articles are written months in advance but it gave me great pleasure to read yesterday that Matthew Jukes in the "Weekend" supplement of the Daily Mail was recommending lighter reds to go with summer fish dishes.

What did he recommend?

A Loire red - a Saumur Rouge Les Nivieres 2003 £3.99 at Waitrose. He says to chill this slightly to let the "blackberry juice and herbal aroma lift and caress your olfactory system."
Hmmmm!!

Next on his list is a Pinot Noir from M&S at £4.99 - the Casablanca Valley from Chile (2004). He also recommends this chilled. Try it wth fish stews and pies.

A Beaujolais-Villages comes next, the Combe aux Jacques from Louis Jadot at £5.24 in Waitrose or £6.99 in Tesco or Asda. Mr Jukes says that Beaujolais is one of the finest styles of red wine to serve with fish dishes but is also a very versatile wine to bring out in the summer.

So there you go! Today is a scorcher in Northamptonshre and I for one will be indulging in a glass of two of Spanish Cava mixed with a little creme de cassis!

Enjoy!

Jane
Old 19-06-2005, 18:49

Default Re Summer drinking

Ah Jane!

The lady whose wine views are respected as far away as Long Island (See Hiker Biker).

Your post reminds me we have a bottle of Creme de Cassis tucked away at the back of a stack of bottles and must put it to good use.

I probably mentioned this one a while back.

A Pinot Grigio from Morrisons at £3.29. Monte Cappella 2004 from Hungary described as "Ripe apple and honey flavours with a long spicy finish". Rather aromatic we found it and nice enough on it's own suitably chilled.

At that price well it's only for drinking it's not for shampooing the Roller is it?

Have a good one!

regards

Portofan
Old 19-06-2005, 19:25

Default Re: Re Summer drinking

Hi Portofan!!

I will have a good one!!

Don't forget to put that creme de cassis to good use!!

Thank you for the info on the Pinot Grigio - I may just make a little detour to Morrisons next week - I haven't been for a while.

I bought some white wines last week in France - a couple of bottles of Vouvray demi-sec, some Muscadet de Sevre et Maine (both from the Loire) and a Chilean Chardonnay - all of these were from Tesco.

No doubt they will be opened and enjoyed over the next few weeks!

Regards
Jane
Old 19-06-2005, 23:23

Creme de Cassis I knew there was something else I wanted from Tesco's this morning and I forgot it. Made do with a couple of Pimms and now the Cava to go with the barbecue.
31deg in Cardiff this afternoon summer is here. Take care in the sun!!

Timberman
Old 19-06-2005, 23:24

Hi Timberman!

Sounds like you're having the same sort of day as me! Not started on the Cava yet. Had one too many yesterday lunchtime and the rest of the day was a write-off!! Ooops!

The Tesco's near us was terrible this morning though!! Like the run-up to Christmas!! And BBQ coal? Forget it!!

We Brits are mad!!

Enjoy the sun... and the Cava!!

Jane