Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Watersports & Sailing

Watersports & Sailing Sailing, wind surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling and anything else water related.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By The Wob
  • 1 Post By fil6699
  • 1 Post By pescador2009
  • 1 Post By fil6699
  • 1 Post By lollipop
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 4 Post By pescador2009
  • 2 Post By RobnAnna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 16:59

Default Hiring a yacht !

A close friend of ours will be staying in Cala San Vicente in August where his wife turns fifty! What he wishes to do is to hire a yacht and start the party on board,champagne etc and sail his party of five people from CSV around Formentor and into the Port to eat at Stay.They are not yachties and will need a skipper.His intention is to get back to CSV by taxi cab.Anybody that can help on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 18:14

Rob, I would recommend Stephen Duffy of OceanCall Charters. They are based in the port and he is a friend of mine.

Tel: +34 691 803 571

Mention my name if you speak to him and he should sort you out a good deal.

Regards

Nigel
RobnAnna likes this.
Old 03-04-2012, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob and donna View Post
A close friend of ours will be staying in Cala San Vicente in August where his wife turns fifty! What he wishes to do is to hire a yacht and start the party on board,champagne etc and sail his party of five people from CSV around Formentor and into the Port to eat at Stay.They are not yachties and will need a skipper.His intention is to get back to CSV by taxi cab.Anybody that can help on this it would be greatly appreciated.
The problem in August could be the water that's not an easy trip I know it may not seem far but the water round that point can get nasty at that time of year. He may have to go out from PP and back into PP. You need a big boat to take on those waters and in August often the swell is high. Personally I would Recommend a nice rip out from PP and back.
RobnAnna likes this.
Old 03-04-2012, 22:08

Certainly would depend very, very much on the prevailing weather at the time.
Not a chance if you happen to get a 'northerly' or even a strong 'easterly' for that matter; also open to 'southerly's' once round the corner by the lighthouse! IF the weather did happen to be bad, or not good (it can happen in August, as fil says), there is a lot of open sea - 100 miles of it in the case of a tramuntana (northerly)!
Safest option for all concerned would certainly be a trip out from P.P.
It's a large bay, certainly more than large enough for experienced sailors - never mind 'non-yachties'. On the other hand it could all go perfectly well on a very nice day!
By far the best option would be to take heed and used experienced people, i.e. the Charter companies (as per The Wob) or take good advice from the Yacht Club at the marina.
One doesn't see a great number of yachts along the north coast of Mallorca because there is 'nowhere to hide' in bad or worsening weather. Soller is the ONLY port between Andratx and Puerto Pollensa, a distance of some seventy miles or so at a rough guess!!!
RobnAnna likes this.
Old 04-04-2012, 00:33

I am sure if you use the recommendation Wob gave you they will arrange a wonderful trip out for you from PP and back. I really don't think your original idea is possible in August specially in a Yacht. There are some great Bays just round the Lighthouse or even across to Alcudia or Bonneri. The Waters around Cala can be really scary I wouldn't take my boat round there and I have been Boating in and around PP for more than 10 years.
RobnAnna likes this.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:19

Sail and Surf also do yachts with skipper but only offer them in the daytime. Another option would be Tudor Dawn.
RobnAnna likes this.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob and donna View Post
The Tudor Dawn and other boat charters can be found here Puerto Pollensa (Pollenca) - sailing, yacht charters, watersports, scuba .
RobnAnna likes this.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:07
Banned

Alternatively get a blow up dinghy from one of the shops on the front, a set of oars and a bottle of Cava and away you go................!!!!!

Much cheaper !!!
tequila likes this.
Old 04-04-2012, 15:56

Definately cheaper!!! "Away you go" being the operative words.

Rob & Donna - as you can see from the above posts, we all want yourselves and your friend to have a wonderful - but safe - day. Hope you get sorted O.K. and Enjoy.
Sparky, RobnAnna, Nick and 1 others like this.
Old 09-04-2012, 16:28

Default Yacht hire

Many thanks to you all for the information you have provided.Its very much appreciated! A good example of what this forum is all about.Thanks again!
El Gordo and Sparky like this.

Last edited by RobnAnna; 09-04-2012 at 16:29. Reason: Spelling error