Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Watersports & Sailing

Watersports & Sailing Sailing, wind surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling and anything else water related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 20:57

Default parascending boat DANGER

My Son and his Girlfriend booked for the parascending boat today and we decided to go out in our boat to watch and video them.
the booking was for 2pm and the boat did not come until 3-15. what then followed was horrific to say the least.
On the boat with my son and his girlfriend was a mother and her daughter who were put in a harness and the boat set of we followed at a safe pace and noticed they were struggling to get up in the air eventually they did. But after a couple of minuets at full height the line snapped and sent them hurtling in the air and then down into the sea. We raced over to see them struggling in the water as they were strapped together . They eventually got back in the boat but the Mother sustained and very serious injury to her hand the wire had cut through her hand. Needles to say my son never went up and got a refund.
Be warned this is extremely dangerous and your insurance will not cover and injuries. I do hope the lady is OK I know my Son and his Girlfriend were extremely shaken by the whole thing. And the sad thing is he said the people running the boat did not seem to care despite the fact the Lady for sure needed hospital treatment.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-08-2011, 21:05

Thank you for this warning and certainly the word should be put around to everyone to take care with these activities. What an awful experience for all concerned but especially so for the poor women. I do hope she wasn't badly hurt but i'm sure she will re-live the experience for ever!

It is very upsetting to hear that those running the activity seemed not to care. I just hope they have learnt a very strong lesson today too.

I don't think many people actually do realise that their insurance will often not cover activities such as these and again I think word should be put around to remind people to take out extra if they intend to engage in something out of the ordinary. It is very easy to get carried away in the holiday mood and not think quite so clearly of the consequences.
Old 24-08-2011, 21:15

I really hope they are both okay. We had promised the girls they could do this last year but thankfully it was too windy for them to go up, when we got back I read of an incident in Turkey where a man died after harness snapped so needless to say we didn't keep our promise this year.
Old 24-08-2011, 21:39

Update I have just found out the lady needed 14 stitches and her arm and hand is in a cast
Old 24-08-2011, 21:41

Hi

That sounds awful !

Is it the same people running it as last year ? My husband went up last year and he was very impressed with their safety chat and the whole way the boat was handled very smoothly with no sharp manoeuvres and thoroughly enjoyed it Its not something I would do in a million years !!

We did check our insurance before he went and he was covered for this
Old 24-08-2011, 22:22

That is an awful thing to have seen and to have happened. I was going to say similar to copper actually. I am sure that the registered water sports do have to have a license and insurance to operate. Please check with them all before you take part, there are obviously still some rogue ones around who do not stick to safety regulations.
Old 24-08-2011, 23:36
Super Moderator

Omg!! Fil this is the second time in recent weeks where the line has snapped.
The first one was in the Alcudia area and was much more serious, again it was a mother and daughter (German tourists, i think) but they crashed into a tree and the mother died in hospital a few days later from her injuries. Absolutely tragic.
Old 25-08-2011, 08:04

We have often said we would like to try this activity one day but now, I do not think so ! Our thoughts go out to those involved in both incidents. I do agree with Belladonna in as much as the operator should have a licence and suitable insurance. However, like many of the tourist activities in many resorts overseas, who does the checking and how often ?
Old 25-08-2011, 09:14

My husband is over 60 so wouldnt take any chances with anything He went up with a younger guy in his 30s and my husband just felt they were very safety conscious ( last year ) They explained everything to them very carefully My husband speaks Spanish and they explained everything in both languages and he had also watched them for a few days before and the boat took everything gently and carefully and he I must admit really really enjoyed it Our own travel insurance did cover it as one of the sports

Here if something had happened like this say at a theme park it would have been closed down until Health and Safety had investigated and after what had happenned in Alcudia I am surprised it is still going
Are they still operating ?
Old 25-08-2011, 11:50

Hi Lynn,
Are you sure it was Alcudia - about a month ago a Mother and daughter, I think they were Portugues, had an awfal accident in Arenal as they crashed into a tree and the Mother died a couple of days later and the daughter was thought to have been left paralysed.
All these companies do have licences and naturally a special insurance which is covered in there charges. There are inspections and I am sure that after the accident this week they would have been investigated providing the person in question completed an accident report, or report to local police or tourist information office if there is real concern that they are not operating under the safety guidelines.
To be fair any dangerous activities, which this obviously is, has a risk but what is very concerning was that the people running did not appear to be concerned - or were they as shocked as you. Surely they called for an ambulance or Doctor for this lady to come to the Marina and paid the costs under their own insurance??
Old 25-08-2011, 12:42
Super Moderator

Yes Jan i apologise it was Arenal, this heat is scrambling my memory .
Old 25-08-2011, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
My husband is over 60 so wouldnt take any chances with anything He went up with a younger guy in his 30s and my husband just felt they were very safety conscious ( last year ) They explained everything to them very carefully My husband speaks Spanish and they explained everything in both languages and he had also watched them for a few days before and the boat took everything gently and carefully and he I must admit really really enjoyed it Our own travel insurance did cover it as one of the sports

Here if something had happened like this say at a theme park it would have been closed down until Health and Safety had investigated and after what had happenned in Alcudia I am surprised it is still going
Are they still operating ?
They were operating less than 1 hour after it the rope snaped they just got another rope and continued as if nothing it was a normal day and thats what is so scary
Old 25-08-2011, 16:54

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD40 View Post
Hi Lynn,
Are you sure it was Alcudia - about a month ago a Mother and daughter, I think they were Portugues, had an awfal accident in Arenal as they crashed into a tree and the Mother died a couple of days later and the daughter was thought to have been left paralysed.
All these companies do have licences and naturally a special insurance which is covered in there charges. There are inspections and I am sure that after the accident this week they would have been investigated providing the person in question completed an accident report, or report to local police or tourist information office if there is real concern that they are not operating under the safety guidelines.
To be fair any dangerous activities, which this obviously is, has a risk but what is very concerning was that the people running did not appear to be concerned - or were they as shocked as you. Surely they called for an ambulance or Doctor for this lady to come to the Marina and paid the costs under their own insurance??
They sent her to the Life Guard station big help concidering she now has 14 stiches and her hand in a cast. from what I understand in Arenal the Guardia visited the boat said it was ok and that was that duh how can it be ok somebody died and yesterday a Lady has a very seriouse injury to her hand IMO this activity should be stopped as of now its funny a number of years ago they stopped karaoke from being played outdoors, all Boaters have to have a licence, incurance etc . Yet they allow this to carry on its crazy.
Old 25-08-2011, 19:27

That is awful that they were just allowed to continue again

My husband wandered up to have a look at it again this year and he felt it was a different boat and company ?? Perhaps to do with the beach concessions changing ?

Trouble is this will perhaps be in a paper there for a few days but then next week new holidaymakers will be there and not know

When people used to do mainly package tours years ago ( especially to Greece ) everyone was warned by tour reps about scooters , crash hats , jeeps , and quads but now so many people come independently these warnings dont get passed on

My husband has done it and he wont be doing it again He has just had a corporate day on a yacht with jet skis on board and no one who had had too much to drink was allowed on but on holiday Im sure that isnt checked either
Old 25-08-2011, 22:39

Take a look at my last post under the topic Paracending and kayak hire

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...ayak-hire.html

Dave

Last edited by Chemical Dave; 25-08-2011 at 22:46.