Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Watersports & Sailing

Watersports & Sailing Sailing, wind surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling and anything else water related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-05-2003, 21:16
mikefluff

Default Small boat hire

Does anyone know if you can hire small boats, little outboard motor thingeys (technical term!!!) in or near porto pollensa? and how much?.
If anyone has done this are they easy to steer and cope with? As I am not exactly Captain Nemo:lol
Sponsored Links
Old 22-05-2003, 02:08
star81

Default Motor Boats

I seem to remember if you went into the harbour there was a bit where boats - possibly speed boats - could be hired. The guys that rented them out would show you how to work them. If this is not there anymore then I know there are pedallo boats !!!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 16:38
paulskent

Default Re: Motor Boats

There is a company called Picnic Boats, who hire the traditional Pescadou fishing boats by the day. These are great for a days boating and are very easy to handle. They are based at the end of the Pine Walk between the Hotel Illador and the Military Base
Old 08-06-2003, 17:37
EdLad

Default Small boat hire

You must have a valid International License to hire anything other than a tiny inflatable.
Old 08-06-2003, 17:40
Broadreach

Default windsurf licence

I do have a Royal Yachting Asasociation windsurfing certificate...would this be accepted as an international licence for hiring a board?
Old 08-06-2003, 22:28
paulskent

Whilst I recognise the legal requirement I have hired from Picnic Boand also a Hoby from Sail and Surf.. At no time was I asked for my Certificate of Competence.
Old 08-06-2003, 23:53
EdLad

Default Motor boats

I was of course referring to powered boats - and you must have a valid license which of course is in everyone's interests for safety etc.
Old 09-06-2003, 00:50
Broadreach

Default Phew...what a relief

Ed

I agree that safety is paramount but there are plenty of people with certificates of competence who get into trouble because they have little real experience of boat handling.

I have sailed boats from 10ft dinghies to a 110ft sailing vessel for nearly 35 years. but because I don't have a piece of paper saying I am competent I might not be able to go to sea off Puerto Pollensa, or any where outside the UK for that matter.

I can quite easily prove my competence by going aboard a yacht with someone from the hire firm and showing how I can hoist the sails, reef the sails, put up a spinnaker, start a diesel engine and do a few manoeuvres in the marina or at sea.

Still, if there is any problem, I might stroll down to the yacht club and volunteer myself as crew to anyone short handed in a dinghy or cruising yacht.

If anyone does need crew doing the first two weeks of August please let me know.