Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Watersports & Sailing

Watersports & Sailing Sailing, wind surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling and anything else water related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2003, 17:47
Broadreach

Default hiring dinghies or small cruising yachts

I will be staying at Puerto Pollensa in August and would like to hire a biggish dinghy or small day yacht for a day or half day.

I do not have any formal qualifications but have been sailing for 30 years and have my own 28ft yacht in the UK. Are there are charter firms that will let me have a day boat with presenting an RYA certificate?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2003, 17:48
Broadreach

Default international licence

I have just noticed a reply to another topic that you have to have an international licence to hire anything bigger than a rubber duck.

I assume my RYA windsurfing certificate is adequate for hiring a board?

I also have a RYA inshore skipper certificate dating from 1970, but haven't seen it for years.

In the old days you just turned up at a hire firm whizzed about a bit on a board, sailing dinghy, Hobie or yacht with one of the hire staff watching to prove that you could sail properly then off you went.

Anyone know where I can get an international licence?

cheers

BR
Old 08-06-2003, 17:51
Broadreach

Default tryping error

Sorry, in my first post I should have said would any firm let me have a boat without presenting a current RYA certificate.
Old 20-08-2003, 18:50
Broadreach

Default Re: small boat hire

Just got back from a magical two-week holiday in the Port. The sailing was fantastic with good winds from Force 3-5 from midday.

I did not need an ICC to hire a Fun 21ft keelboat from Sail and Surf because the boat in question did not have an engine. The firm does have a Happy Day 21 ft yacht with an outboard, three high performance Jantar racing cruisers and some 30ft Tornado cruising yachts, all with inboard engines, which can be hired only by ICC holders.

There was no problem sailing the Fun, it can be handled by anyone with plenty of dinghy experience and the only tricky manoeuvre was picking up a mooring buoy on the return to the Sail and Surf base. But there is always a rescue boat on hand to guide you in if needed.

The Fun cost 27 euros for an hour 45 for two hours 60 for three hours and 85 for a day. The Happy Day costs 75 euros for half a day and 100e for a full day. The Jantars were 160e for half a day and 220 for a full day. The Tornado was 220e for a day.

Sail and Surf also has a range of dinghies:
The Galeon is about 18ft, very much like a Wayfarer, takes up to 4 people and costs range from 22e for an hour to 70e for a day.
They have two types of Laser (a classic and a pico) and these range from 14e for an hour to 55e for a day.

The Korsar is a high performance dinghy of about 15ft and ranges from 26e for an hour to 110e for a day.

The Optimists for children cost from 10e for an hour to 33e for a day

The Hobie cats (two types) range from 26e for a hour to 110e for a day.

The staff at Sail and Surf speak very good English and are very helpful. They have plenty of rescue boats to keep an eye on customers and they run a very active sailing school. Some boats I have listed above may not available for hire when they are being used by the sailing school.

Sailing around the bay and round to Formentor was absolutely brilliant. Temperatures were in the 90s and the wind was 4-5. What more could you want?
Old 11-07-2005, 16:04
Broadreach

We are off to PP again next month and I am getting demob happy already.
Does anyone know if the sailing base I wrote about two years ago is still providing the same dinghies, keel boats and cruising yachts?
Old 12-07-2005, 20:11
Founder

If you mean Sail & Surf - they are still there - see the ad in www.puertopollensa.com/sailing_watersports.html#sailingschools
Old 13-07-2005, 01:14

Hi Broadreach, are you around for the Pascalino's get together in August?
Old 24-10-2005, 01:50
ccborn

Default Any last sails?

I hear Surf and Sail are closing on 28 October. Is there anywhere we could rent a dinghy or yacht? We arrive on 25th.
Many thanks
Chris