Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Watersports & Sailing

Watersports & Sailing Sailing, wind surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling and anything else water related.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By fil6699
  • 4 Post By SimonButlerPhotography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 09:14

Default Small boat hire

We would like to hire a small boat with an engine when we are on holiday (can't remeber HP) but you do not need a license for these types of boats. Does anyone know if this is possible around the Puerto Pollensa area? - thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 30-06-2013, 10:18

They are available at the quay in front of the Stay restaurant
Old 30-06-2013, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey36 View Post
They are available at the quay in front of the Stay restaurant
Not sure these are under 8 HP which is what you will need without a Licence
Old 30-06-2013, 17:53

The advertising board proclaims "no licence needed"
Old 30-06-2013, 18:23

The very small ones are under 8 HP so no licence is required...Although they are not much more than pedalo with an outboard!

Quite fun to chug around the bay which is what we did a few years ago. Fun that is until you get caught in an almighty storm and have to drop anchor and swim ashore at Malpas
Old 30-06-2013, 19:13

We really enjoy hiring boats and have hired regularly on the Italian lakes, Greek Islands and this year for the 1st time in America. When we looked at hiring a boat in Puerto pollensa the price was way, way higher than we have paid elsewhere not sure if we were looking at the same sort of thing but they wanted 500 euros for the day when we looked.
Old 30-06-2013, 22:00

I hired one this week although i believe it was a 15hp 4m solid hull boat. Had asked about a rib as they tend to me more stable in rougher waters and was told they did have one but it did not have a canopy. It was 90 euro for 5 hrs or 180 for the day.

I have a bit of experience at sea in boats and jetskis but have not done any licenses and took it out about as far as I was comfortable with which was maybe further than I should have with a boat with this amount of power.

They are decent enough for cruising about the bay in calm waters but very under powered for anything outside the shelter of the bay. Although they will do it I wouldn't advise it as the sea can bite back.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47

I don't know who is hiring boats or what they are hiring and what they are saying. But I can tell you for sure the legal situation for driving a power boat in Spanish waters.If the engine is over 8 HP and the Boat is UK registered you need an ICC Licence for small motor craft not difficult to obtain either in UK or in Mallorca takes a couple of days and cost around £200. If the Boat is Spanish registered this is a whole different box of tricks you need a Spanish licence takes months to get and costs way more and very difficult to obtain.your ICC Licence is not acceptable.
If you are out on the water you need to have on the Boat your Licence a copy of Boat registration and a copy of insurance . You are liable for a fine up to 4,000 Euro per document if they are not presented plus the possibility of the boat being impounded (and yes they do patrol the waters). If you are driving the Boat then you are classed as the skipper and as such are responsible and accountable for any papers that are not on board.
Personally I think this is a wonderful thing it keeps our waters safe . But please be aware if you are hiring a boat make sure you have all the correct papers have fun on the water and here is a tip my tutor gave me when I took my skippers licence" its always better to be on the shore looking out wishing you were out on the water than it is to be out on the water wishing you were on the shore". so pay attention to the weather and the water have fun but stay safe and legal the waters around the bay and past the lighthouse can get a little tricky
pollensa, Sparky, Lorenzo and 1 others like this.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20
Founder

See Puerto Pollensa (Pollenca) - sailing, yacht charters, watersports, scuba for various boat charter companies plus Aurora who provide the training for powerboats and jetskis. Be safe!!
Old 01-07-2013, 17:27

Thank you for advice fil6699 mu husband does have a boat licence which we always take when we are likely to hire boats abroad his is an international licence he also takes a refresher course each year as we do not own a boat but like to hire when on holiday, we were not aware about the rule regarding Spanish registered boats and have only not hired in Majorca because of the price being prohibitive when we looked. Will need to bear in mind that we would need a copy of the boat registration and insurance. I definitely think you do need some experience of boat handling a few years back we were on the Italian lakes when a storm blew up even on a lake the water was coming right over the sides completely soaking us, if a lake could become that rough imagine being out at sea.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:41

Default Small Boat hire

Thank you all for your advice. I think the boat we hired in Corfu recently were 15hp and we did not need a licence there. It could seat 5 or 6 people. The cost was 50 euros for the day plus fuel. Maybe the laws are different in Spain and perhaps they do not hire out boats of this size in Puerto Pollensa??
Old 26-08-2013, 13:48

Thought I would add to this thread rather than make new one. On Friday Jonny, my 12 year old son, and I hired a small boat with an outboard motor. I have no idea what HP the motor was but the boat cost €40 for 1 hour and didn't require a license. Which is handy as I don't have one!

We hired it from one of the huts next to the Marina, think the company name was Boat Hire Formentor.

It was amazing fun to cruise around the bay and the motor seemed plenty powerful to me. At full throttle the whole boat started to vibrate so I decided to keep it at 80% max.

Even at 80% throttle this was plenty fast enough for me. Jonny had a whale of a time and enjoyed zooming over the waves! He managed to take these fantastic photos of me driving the boat using my ultra-wide angle lens.

Me shouting "Powwwwwerrrrrr!" like Jeremy Clarkson!

If you want to have a go driving a small boat and don't have a license I can recommend this type of boat.