Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/)
-   -   Getting bicycles to Mallorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/9620-getting-bicycles-mallorca.html)

RobnAnna 01-01-2013 18:31

Getting bicycles to Mallorca

Hi all! My family and I plan to do more cycling on our holidays in PP and keep them at our place there.We would like to hear if anyone has packaged up there bikes and taken them with them on the plane! What are the costs ! What sort of packaging needed etc! Any help would be appreciated!

Nick 01-01-2013 18:43

Might be cheaper and less hassle to go to the Decathlon shop in Alcampo and buy new ones? Alternatively, some of the cylce shops in PP sell off used ones at the end of each season as I've enquired about them myself.

Don't think I'd bother buying bikes in the UK, getting them home, packaging them suitably, paying to put them in the aircraft hold, getting them through the airport security etc., getting them off at the other end and then getting them all the way to PP. If you're a family of say 4 then on top of all your luggage you'd need a van to do the transporting!!

Wouldn't be bothered myself.

adam6715 01-01-2013 20:56

Hi do this most years monarch charge £ 19.99 e,w and mallorca shuttle bus charge 40 euros return ,hope this helps

CHUG 02-01-2013 10:28

Brought my sons' road bike out last week , £13 on easyjet , when I brought mine over a couple of years ago on Flybe it was £30. You just need to have it boxed ( bike shops and halfords give bike boxes away) or in a bike bag , bubble wrap and pad out vulnerable bits too for extra protection . They turn up at belt 17 at PMI. Works out better than buying similar here if they're quality bikes. Decathlon are good if you just want basic bikes , we have their town bikes as well , great for just pottering around the port. Cheers , Steve.

RobnAnna 02-01-2013 14:05

Thanks to all so far that have responded! We don't want to be paying out another £3000! on buying more bikes in PP and because we don't really use them much here in England know that they will get more use on the island and add to our holidays! Thanking you all again. Rob n Donna + kids!

Mark 02-01-2013 14:31

One of our neighbours has taken racing bikes in the winter for many years.

He packs most of his clothes in his bike bag to save paying for a suitcase :), then it is only the bike bag to pay for and everything else in hand luggage so does not cost much more than just a suitcase would have cost. ( check the weight allowances though)

Here is a really good guide that gives some tips on how to protect the bike:
Packing a bike bag | workshop

Spacers in the forks (or use old/cheap hubs without the spokes) are essential to prevent the forks getting deformed if someone throws or stands on the bag.
The same for the rear wheel, something to hold the frame in it's usual position so it does not get bent.

Pipe lagging to protect expensive frames from scratches and dents, bubble wrap around anything that might damage easily.

Have a good trip :)

Nick 02-01-2013 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob and donna (Post 78488)
Thanks to all so far that have responded! We don't want to be paying out another £3000! on buying more bikes in PP and because we don't really use them much here in England know that they will get more use on the island and add to our holidays! Thanking you all again. Rob n Donna + kids!

Definitely seems the best way then is to pay one way hold fare and pack very well!!

Good luck.

smg 02-01-2013 20:02

loads of people take bikes to PMI & elsewhere, not too difficult as long as you have suitable transport at the other end

don't forget to let the tyres down before travelling

have fun !